Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extremely minor suggestion.  (Read 1389 times)

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extremely minor suggestion.
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:51:33 am »

I want an ice sphere. That's it.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely minor suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:07:06 am »

It took me a while to realize you didn't mean a ball of ice.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 01:18:05 pm »

the question is that; should there be more spheres? or should there be sort of "sub-spheres?"..

like should ICE be it's own sphere or should it be a combination of, say a "cold" sphere with water?

I mean there could be infinite combinations of storms though they should boil down to a select number of categories

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:09:18 pm »

the question is that; should there be more spheres? or should there be sort of "sub-spheres?"..

like should ICE be it's own sphere or should it be a combination of, say a "cold" sphere with water?

I mean there could be infinite combinations of storms though they should boil down to a select number of categories

Well Fire has its own set of things mostly associated with heat. So Ice probably wouldn't be such a enclosed topic without its related sub-spheres.

Cold, Dispite (a 'cold heart' if you will), Dusk (reduced hours of the day), Snow, Glaciers, Seasons (well this is a bit nondescript)

It least is interesting by a point that you can set up a aesthetically appropriate tundra-titan who lives upon poles and glaciers, a undulating mammoth with a intensely cold breath, as some people on the modding forums have already created this kind of emission for their own creatures.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:08:41 pm »

Raw-defined spheres would be neat, but we'll probably need to see more expansion on the magic side of things before that can happen.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:23:30 pm »

Why are you all making it so complicated? I just want an I C E S P H E R E .
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 11:25:28 pm »

Growing pears isn’t as easy as you seem to think.  You have to do things properly if you want a nice one.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:28:38 am »

I think the reason why there's no ice sphere is because, weirdly enough, gods of ice are quite rare in traditional mythology.  The closest you'll find are gods of winter, who are more associated with seasonal change than ice in particular.  This might be because unlike fire or stone, ice just wasn't really used for much in ancient cultures (using it for food preservation didn't become common practice until later; most people would just use salt).  To ancient people, the most notable thing about winter was its association with agriculture, not the ice itself.

Of course in DF, spheres are also used for magic, and ice magic is a classic.

Perhaps the best compromise would be to add a sphere for each season; the winter sphere could easily be the source of ice magic.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 02:59:01 am »

Winter as metaphorical ”death” also is common afaik, with spring representing rebirth, summer the heydays of life and autumn old age. Given a sphere for each season, they should probably be connected to their life ”parallells”.

Also, the norse creation myth has the primordial ice realm of Niflheim, which isn’t strictly related to winter itself, so a winter sphere doesn’t necessarily remove the need for an ice/cold sphere.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 12:11:22 pm »

Growing pears isn’t as easy as you seem to think.  You have to do things properly if you want a nice one.

The way the spheres are right now it kind of is that easy. A sphere basically an item in a list with three properties 'Friend spheres', 'Parent/child spheres', and 'Precluded spheres' to be expanded on later.

ICE does stick out as an obvious missing sphere in my opinion, and makes more sense than several existing spheres. Of the existing spheres I could see this:

Friend spheres
  • WEATHER?
  • SEASONS
  • STORMS
  • MOUNTAINS

Parent/child spheres
  • WEATHER?
  • NATURE

Precluded spheres
  • FIRE
  • SUN
  • PLANTS?

As far as other spheres that don't exist yet, maybe there should just a be a 'New Spheres' suggestions thread to cover all that.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 12:55:28 pm »

I think the reason why there's no ice sphere is because, weirdly enough, gods of ice are quite rare in traditional mythology.  The closest you'll find are gods of winter, who are more associated with seasonal change than ice in particular. 

I would guess something like Ice would be a sphere for a minor god / (regional) spirit like Father Frost. The question is how it would be connected to the main spheres? Or how spirits and gods are / aren't linked together.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 01:27:15 pm »

hee ho!