Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 103491 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 03:04:48 pm »

I just consider DF and Cataclysm to be Rogue-adjacent.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 03:09:42 pm »

I too did just start playing Bright Nights. Nearly died right away from head damage possibly from a combination of cold Spring weather and a worm spawning outside my starting shelter. I haven't touched DDA in a long time, so I don't know how it compares, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing of BN so far.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »

My soldier after abandonning the forklift ran away from the military base area and discovered not too far an abandonned farm with a house and a couple of building filled with nice stuff to not die of hunger.
Opened some hangar and cleared it from zombies, helped in the process by nearby giant ants.

Giant ants being a bit too dangerous to keep around, i started to use my rifle and the ammo i had gathered from a few killed undead zombies soldiers in my great escape, precise aiming shots (the p key) are extremely good to use with my scoped and suppressed (nice so it does not risk damaging my ears each shots, though i still get deaf for a few turns) rifle, nearly 1 shot -> 1 kill as i was wise enough to get a good distance first so the several giants ants roaming around wouldn't rush me too fast.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

there's some acid now in the northern part of the farm, but at least the farm itself is now safe for a good operational base for when i'll try to start reclaim a bit of the military base as it's not too far from it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 06:12:07 pm »

Just read one of the releases for BN titled: Restore MBR vest and remove ESAPI vest (#146)
I think I might play one before, I love the ESAPI vest.  It makes you the human rock: A torso with no limbs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 06:19:22 pm »

As i mentionned it's been a long time i haven't played CDDA, but now on my playthrough with BN i noticed it takes a long, long time for the time to actually move when i sleep or read a book.
That with even disabled the option mentionned in the BN page to get rid of the ressource hogging or slowdown that happens in CDDA.

That's super annoying considering how much nothing happens during those waiting time (and when something does it would interrupt you anyways).

When i was still playing CDDA i remember time moved faster during those sleep/read sequences (it started to become longer and longer with updates though).
Unless there's some options i didn't paid attention that make things slower, i hope there is going to be some optimisation there.

edit : started a new game on a new world (some random character and started in an empty cabin) and every turns, reading and sleeping were much faster.
Can't say how much monster there was, but probably less than in the other character run, though there weren't that much giant ants around the farm when i was trying to read and sleep in it, so no idea what could be responsible (unless the "bubble" exist for a huge distance, as there were a lot of zombies in the away military base).
Anyways it's very annoying.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:56:22 pm by Robsoie »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »

Posting to watch. Speaking of BN, I plan to chuck some stuff at them eventually, in addition to trying to make BN-specific branches for my major mods. A lot of stuff to juggle, though.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:56 pm »

Wait, hold up. Brighter Nights is still being worked on? Did Coolthulhu just get back to it recently? Last I heard, the project was on hiatus.

Whatever the case, I'm glad it's still a thing.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 09:49:14 pm »

Wait! BN is Coolthulu's work? I remember him being quite a significant person back in the in the previous threads of DDA (I don't exactly remember how he was significant though). I never thought he'd actually go around to make his own fork!

Does it have any community contributors or is BN closed-source?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »

Coolthulhu is one of the critical old-school devs, yeah. The fork lives, and has seen a fuckton of improvements and updates: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 04:16:49 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 04:44:46 am »

For people wanting a sound pack, this one seems to be compatible with BN (at least i didn't experienced crash or error when playing with it so far) :
https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/soundpack-otopack/23190

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 05:13:13 am »

Thank you Robsoie, great overview and links.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 05:44:59 am »

I've been away for a while, tbh as gameplay started to get more complicated I started to throw in "easier" starts for myself (normally with a custom "cybernetic ubermensch" start).

What are the big differences between DDA and the bright nights fork?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 05:56:04 am »

Differences between BN and DDA are mostly listed there :
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/wiki/Changes-so-far

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 05:56:30 am »

I've been away for a while, tbh as gameplay started to get more complicated I started to throw in "easier" starts for myself (normally with a custom "cybernetic ubermensch" start).

What are the big differences between DDA and the bright nights fork?

Rough summary is here: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/wiki/Changes-so-far

It's likely missing lots of small quality of life and misc changes that're steadily accumulating.

Also, I'm wondering now if the old thread got locked by Toady, or if it was the OP...

EDIT: Hecc, Rob got the link first. :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73