Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 103497 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2021, 09:29:26 am »

Pipe guns are only useful if you get ammo drops that match the pipe guns you make.

No offense, but you have that backwards.  You don't make the guns and hope they match the ammo.  You pick up ammo that doesn't match your guns, then you make a pipe gun to use the odd ammo.

One pipe gun strategy, in my relatively untested opinion, is that you would use them primarily if you have some other firearm, like maybe a pistol.  So you would use your pipe gun(s) for the first shot(s) then switch to your primary firearm. 

For example, you have a 9mm pistol with 30 rounds and you pick up 30 rounds of .45 caliber ammo.  You then manufacture a couple pipe guns that use .45 ammo.  Then you initially shoot one zombie with your first pipe gun, then drop it and either fire at the same zombie or a different one with your second pipe gun, then switch to your 9mm pistol.

Alternatively, remember I discussed earlier using fire to kill zombies?  You set 4 or 5 fires to cover all spaced between you and the zombies, then fire your pipe gun to get the zombies to charge into the flames, and maybe kill a couple of them.  Then switch to melee as the surrounding zombies burn up.  The pipe gun itself would probably be a half-way decent melee weapon, actually.  Better than a pistol, at any rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2021, 01:14:05 am »

I've always felt that there should be pipe pistols or short stockless versions of the pipe rifles, or at least a way to saw the stocks off of guns.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2021, 09:34:47 am »

Can’t do that for every gun unfortunately. You can’t saw the stock off a bull pup, because that’s where the magazine is stored, and you can’t saw the barrel off of some automatic rifles, because in the AK for example, that’s where the gas piston is, which is the thing that actually makes it automatic.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 12, 2021, 03:30:14 am »

Can’t do that for every gun unfortunately. You can’t saw the stock off a bull pup, because that’s where the magazine is stored, and you can’t saw the barrel off of some automatic rifles, because in the AK for example, that’s where the gas piston is, which is the thing that actually makes it automatic.
I knew about that stuff, I was mostly wishing there was a way to saw the stocks off of shotguns so could put them in the regular sized holsters, kind of like pistols but better.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:32 am »

One thing I do miss the sweet spot where dynamic and static spawns existed together-you could clear out a city, but monsters still dynamically spawned(like for example the dreaded moose), and you needed to board up and defend your base with traps lest you wake up with a monster in your face.

Once you've cleared out a area, the area feels pretty empty.

I also remembered the craziness of swamps and how a non-electric car was a death trap.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 16, 2021, 09:43:56 am »

Yes, it seems the wilderness is more tame than it used to be, searching in my memories, i ran into something that does not happen to me anymore , how a cougar and a bear were hunting my character :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.8175

Swamps were indeed a place of hilarity, i remember some years ago when going into a trip near rivers was some insane idea :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4626828#msg4626828

And good old days when NPC were trying to eat their lighter :D
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4625815#msg4625815

I added links on the first post to the 3 previous Cataclysm (one for Whales' original and the 2 CDDA ones that got locked) in case some people want to do some Cata threads archeology

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 25, 2021, 12:56:34 am »

Meanwhile in Arcana, self-PR'd something I'm working on: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/205

A form of combatives used by the hunters of hunters, high-ranking assassins of an arcane order devoted to blood magic.  Designed with various bladed weapons in mind but also usable unarmed, especially by mutants with claws or with a limited selection of unarmed weapons.  Strength and dexterity improve your abilities, and arcane knowledge is needed to use the style to the fullest.

Shrike's Talons is meant to be a foil of Via Gladium Et Malleo in many ways, fitting given each is associated with rival factions. Both are balanced towards taking on a group of enemies and work primarily with weapons fitting for the faction using it. Via Gladium Et Malleo is meant to encourage hit-and-run tactics or spreading out stunning attacks to wear down multiple enemies at once, while Shrike's Talons encourages more aggressive gameplay that focuses attacks on one enemy in the group at a time.

Some particular contrasts:
  • Via Gladium Et Malleo provides a mix of both offensive and defensive buffs as you fight, but without direct damage increases. Killing enemies mitigates/reduces the impact of built-up offensive buffs but shifts focus to additional defensive buffs. Shrike's Talons increases your offense as you fight, including effects that add to direct damage, but debuff your defenses. Killing enemies expands the offensive buffs but also mitigates the defensive debuffs.
  • Via Gladium Et Malleo is focused primarily on two classes of weapons used by mage hunters, swords and hammers/maces, and the buff/technique setup differs depending on which you use. Unarmed attacks and weapons gain some benefit, but lose out on the momentum mechanic forming the core of the style. Shrike's Talons is focused on an eclectic mix of edged weapons, only some are faction-specific, and the core mechanics are the same regardless of which weapon type you use. Unarmed attacks gain additional support that actively benefits mutants with claws, and unarmed users can access the same core mechanics as with weapons (requiring claw mutations for bare fists to fully benefit), but only a select few unarmed weapons are able to benefit from the style's abilities.
  • Via Gladium Et Malleo's effects are static in intensity per stack, giving modest and consistent bonuses to affected properties. Shrike's Talons make heavy use of strength and dexterity scaling. A superhuman character will get bonuses much higher than what Via Gladium Et Malleo grants, but an average or below-average character will suffer for it.
  • Arcana skill is implied to be used by Via Gladium Et Malleo for support and defense, channeling physical momentum to direct it towards things like protecting against exotic damage types, or for bypassing armor vs. hardening your own defense depending on weapon type. Its most anomalous effect if Battle Ward, where that momentum is used to provide armor against exotic damage types. Shrike's Talons implies the use aggression and adrenaline to directly magnify offensive power, improving damage and armor penetration primarily. Its most anomalous effect is Exsanguination, which includes actively feeding off violence to add cold-type damage to your follow-up attacks.

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 05, 2021, 04:40:12 pm »

C:DDA will soon be distributed through Steam as well.  It'll be free and will still be distributed in the usual ways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1639000/Cataclysm_Dark_Days_Ahead/

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 05, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »

Important notes here: https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/steam-dark-days-ahead/26348

Thie person is talking about shit like premium tilesets as paid DLC and evidently writing the steam page as if they're the developer. They're also using it as a vehicle to advertise for their other releases, which are all shovelware.

The person doing the steam release of DDA is not associated with the devs and their behavior is extremely fucking scummy. Much as I disagree with Kevin on a lot of things he's clearly trying to give an overt scam artist the benefit of the doubt and suffering for it.

Looks like the person running this scam is just now claiming to give up on their grift, interesting timing:

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 05, 2021, 10:30:44 pm »

So, no Steam release.  :P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2021, 01:56:59 am »

Kinda strange that some rando would come in and release a game he had nothing to do with on steam.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 06, 2021, 03:03:03 am »

Kinda strange that some rando would come in and release a game he had nothing to do with on steam.
It takes $100 and a build of the game. And a bit of work setting up the page. Technically, every publisher is exactly like that. :P

If he just wanted to distribute the game through Steam it'd be fine, I think. Most of the issues are with the language used on the store page, as well as, basically, plans to monetize what is fundamentally a free-for-everyone-forever project.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 06, 2021, 03:22:23 am »

That steam thing is the result of the open source license :
https://opensource.org/faq#commercial

Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?
    Absolutely. All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software.

However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary. If you receive software under an Open Source license, you can always use that software for commercial purposes, but that doesn't always mean you can place further restrictions on people who receive the software from you. In particular, copyleft-style Open Source licenses require that, in at least some cases, when you distribute the software, you must do so under the same license you received it under.

Can I restrict how people use an Open Source licensed program?
    No. The freedom to use the program for any purpose is part of the Open Source Definition. Open source licenses do not discriminate against fields of endeavor.

Can I stop "evil people" from using my program?
    No. The Open Source Definition specifies that Open Source licenses may not discriminate against persons or groups. Giving everyone freedom means giving evil people freedom, too.

Something to keep in mind when you make a free program and you're hesitating between opening the source or keeping it closed.
There have been many cases like this in the past (not necessarly on steam, but people without any links to developers taking an open source program and selling it for their own benefit only), as i use Blender and Gimp i remember some notorious cases from a few years ago in which some people took those program (as they're open source), changed the name and were selling them.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 06, 2021, 06:18:04 am »

The screenshots they used seem to be rather misleading as well.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2021, 08:46:03 pm »

I remember seeing a post on reddit about this, the gifs showing some of the visuals looked neat, but I think it was p obvious it'd get slapped down as soon as it got any sort of traction. It is basically selling a game for free with the only real benefit being a probably prettier game.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73