Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 103418 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2022, 02:06:28 am »

I haven't played the newer versions of the game so are portal storms like the emissions in stalker?

More or less, except most of the side effects don't care at all if you're in shelter in any way.
So how do you avoid it then, be underground?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2022, 02:11:59 am »

You don't, far as I can tell. Or at best you always wear the rare lab items that give you the portal-resistant flag I saw in a few of the EoCs, to negate some of the negative effects.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2022, 01:50:32 pm »

To clarify, the monster spawning will still happen all around you outside even if you're indoors, and if they have any way to get in or get line-of-sight with you you'll suffer for it, but luckily it looks like won't teleport them into your base and none of them seem able to bash. Grass and smoke events also seem to be confined to spawning all around your shelter.

There's an effect that can randomly open and close doors, needless to say if that triggers your shelter is basically useless against the monsters it spawns unless you're just gonna hide in the basement. However, I can't figure out what the hell even triggers it since it has no conditions aside and nothing else triggers it, far as I can tell either it's effectively obsoleted without having been moved out of the EOC file, or someone wrote the EOC for that then forgot to make anything else actually call it.

And as for direct "fuck you for existing" effects, only the "here's some pain" event bothers to check if you're indoors. All of the absolute MOST annoying events instead only bother to check whether you're currently driving, notably the "you're incorporeal now, drop all your shit" event and the "constantly teleport you back to the space you were when this event started" event.

There's also an event that constructs a dungeon and teleports you into it, but like with the door-fuckery it has no conditions and nothing else seems to call it, so it seems to be unimplemented.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2022, 02:42:04 pm »

I never heard about the portal storm event before. From googling around there's not much explanation out of it being a "weather" and Random_Dragon mentionning monster spawning all around.

Is this weather random or is it triggered by something ? And how much chances there is for one to happen ?

Unless i am missing something, it does not seem to be implemented in CBN ?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2022, 02:50:44 pm »

Is this weather random or is it triggered by something ? And how much chances there is for one to happen ?

Unless i am missing something, it does not seem to be implemented in CBN ?

It seems to happen more often the later in the year it gets. And yeah, since it relies on the Effect On Condition system it's not in BN, just DDA.

You can see a summary of the weird stuff here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/data/json/portal_storm_effect_on_condition.json
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2022, 03:02:38 pm »

It seems to be an interesting way to keep the game challenging for players that have already fully equipped themselves and have their skills already high enough.
Though i imagine if you're not lucky and that event triggers too early, it may be just an early unavoidable game over, so if there's not one already it may need some kind of safe period before it can happen.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2022, 03:16:52 pm »

It seems to be pretty badly designed because the stuff it does to you don't really have any real counter. It's telling that the Innawood mod adds overrides to force it to chill out a bit.

Meanwhile in modding, finished up the pile of DDA-specific ideas I posted about earlier, and merged it. Now on to the next big old pile of ideas that've come to mind recently.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 13, 2022, 03:36:02 pm »

An alternative (tough it would require a lot of work i imagine) to removing the event itself may be to make the disabling of portal storm an actual quest, as its inspired by Stalker emissions event, why not get inspired by the miracle machine/brain scorcher one too in which the player can investigate some specific location to disable their effect on the world.
And of course the event (and its quest) being an on/off option so people can play without it if they prefer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 13, 2022, 05:15:03 pm »

But then the player's actions actually matter, when it's central to DDA that everything you do has no impact on how fucked the world is, the blob as already won, yada yada yada. :v

In the meantime, what I've got so far in my uncommited changes...
* Set it so spell effects that target "shadowy" monsters will also look for monsters that have night-invisibility.
* Reworked Sanguine Marks to have a secondary cost for casting, which drains hunger steadily. Same deal as with Magic Signs
* Infernal Flame no longer has its own hunger cost since it's baked into every Sanguine Mark now.
* Destructive Absorption's side effect altered, now it restores stamina and raises healthiness, and the duration of the buff scales like DoT and paralysis effects tend to.
* Revenant Blood's effect reworked into basically being a straightforward combination of Ward Against Poison, Clarity of Blood, and the perks of Revenant Hunger.
* Set it so Elemental Sign can mess with fire around the user. Uses area_push in BN version, ter-transform stuff in DDA version. Whenever I get around to porting over the ability to mess with traps and fields via ter-transform to BN, I'll use that for both versions.

Also on the to-do list for today probably:
* I might add some more tricks to make the boss monsters more spicy. The moroboru getting a spell that mimics the effects of the classic Bad Breath ability its namesake is known for, spirit of fire gaining some extra physical special attacks, and maybe the dracolich can have a spell that behaves like basically a "failed breath attack" it could sometimes use instead of its fire breath that just sprays blood and gore everywhere and debuffs the victim. After all, why should the host of the archon and seraphic shade be the only bosses in Arcana that have tricks beside just straight beatdown? :>
* Adding some more visible traps or other warning signs to certain parts of the floating temple so it's more clear that taking those paths is risky.
* Double-checking monster and trap spawns in one variant of the ruined shrine.
* See about whether I can afford to find other places to spawn feral arcanists

Few other assorted things.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 13, 2022, 10:51:05 pm »

It seems to be pretty badly designed because the stuff it does to you don't really have any real counter. It's telling that the Innawood mod adds overrides to force it to chill out a bit.

Meanwhile in modding, finished up the pile of DDA-specific ideas I posted about earlier, and merged it. Now on to the next big old pile of ideas that've come to mind recently.
The counter is going inside, I wait them out in my RV or cabin. Portal storms are fine, they fill acid rain's niche except with cooler flavor.

If you're caught outside you're boned but that generally happens early and you can get fucked early in a million ways already so eh.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 13, 2022, 11:58:55 pm »

The counter is going inside

Read previous posts, or examine the file itself. In particular:
Code: [Select]
  {
    "type": "effect_on_condition",
    "id": "EOC_PORTAL_TELEPORT_STUCK_START",
    "condition": { "not": "u_driving" },
    "effect": [
      { "u_location_variable": { "u_val": "stuck_teleport" }, "min_radius": 0, "max_radius": 0 },
      { "run_eocs": "EOC_PORTAL_TELEPORT_STUCK" },
      { "u_message": "The moment feels thick, as if it's not quite over.", "type": "bad" }
    ]
  },
Code: [Select]
  {
    "type": "effect_on_condition",
    "id": "EOC_PORTAL_INCORPOREAL",
    "condition": { "and": [ { "not": { "u_has_worn_with_flag": "PORTAL_PROOF" } }, { "not": "u_driving" } ] },
    "effect": [
      {
        "arithmetic": [
          { "global_val": "var", "var_name": "ps_incorporeal_str" },
          "=",
          { "global_val": "var", "var_name": "ps_str" },
          "*",
          { "time": "1 seconds" }
        ]
      },
      {
        "u_message": "You feel stretched, as if part of you was elsewhere.  You are not solid enough to affect matter, and your equipment falls through you.",
        "type": "bad",
        "popup": true
      },
      { "u_add_effect": "incorporeal", "duration": { "global_val": "ps_incorporeal_str", "default": "1 seconds" } }
    ]
  },

For context, those are the aforementioned "most annoying effects" that I previously pointed out ignore whether you're inside:
And as for direct "fuck you for existing" effects, only the "here's some pain" event bothers to check if you're indoors. All of the absolute MOST annoying events instead only bother to check whether you're currently driving, notably the "you're incorporeal now, drop all your shit" event and the "constantly teleport you back to the space you were when this event started" event.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 14, 2022, 04:18:11 am »

Never said it's a perfect counter, but none of those effects really affect you if you're simply crafting or reading so they're hardly annoying. Last time it happened, I put in earplugs and slept through it without a hunch. You're not meant to go outside and fight the portal storm monsters.

I feel they're a good addition.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2022, 08:27:32 am »

2. There will be offshoots (mixed paths), I'll add some like fox (lupine+feline), hyena (lupine+rat), sauropod (raptor+cattle), etc.
Well finally I get a fox mutation line even if it's not a full path...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 14, 2022, 01:12:00 pm »

Meanwhile, had been busy all throughout yesterday, summary of what all I was up to
Spoiler: changes (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 17, 2022, 11:26:39 am »

Noticed in the CDDA commits , there was something rather amazing :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/56778

https://preview.redd.it/if4q4u81b0u81.png?width=1069&format=png&auto=webp&s=a664ae14406b92b3316e64d7710a2e3bccc306ed

I hope it means some people will be able to make more real life locations maps like this one in the future.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:28:53 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73