Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 103115 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #825 on: September 19, 2022, 05:14:26 pm »

Yeah it's random. Honestly boiling water is so easy... expecially since in DDA they made it so that you can put a container with water onto a fire and it will purify in a few hours. Really makes getting infinite water easy.
Only if your dood isn't recovering from drug addiction (Tweaker start)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 20, 2022, 12:01:20 am »

Self-PR'd an update to Arcana to try and see if I can get any feedback about the buffs to the boss monsters: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/278
* Set it so incorruptible sword gets a more noticeable amount of bonus cutting damage when active.
* Standardized the to-hit and damage values of restored ritual blade and cursed sword, along with giving the cursed sword a more noticeable damage bonus when active.
* Heavily buffed the HP values of the boss enemies. Instead of 680-900 HP their values range from 1000-2000 HP.
* Shuffled around armor values for the boss monsters as well, making their strengths and weaknesses more clear, along with favoring multiples of 5.
* Tweaked HP values of feral arcanists a lil bit.
* Bumped monstergroup weights of feral arcanists up a bit.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 20, 2022, 02:23:18 am »

If I remember right there was a PR awhile back that let you put fliers and news paper pages in some kind of book does anyone know what the item for that is called, also there's a thing for journal writing what do I need for that?

Trying to figure out how some of the new stuff works without having to dig through old PRs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 20, 2022, 03:08:54 am »

If I remember right there was a PR awhile back that let you put fliers and news paper pages in some kind of book does anyone know what the item for that is called, also there's a thing for journal writing what do I need for that?

Trying to figure out how some of the new stuff works without having to dig through old PRs.
1. Leather journal I think.
2. You need to bind the diary key, press ?.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 20, 2022, 03:45:21 am »

Do I need an item for the diary key to work or is the journal for both?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 20, 2022, 04:00:15 am »

Do I need an item for the diary key to work or is the journal for both?
Nah the diary can be used without any items, actually. I like RPing it as an audio log on a smarphone.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 20, 2022, 05:52:40 am »

Thanks for the info, didn't realize that it was just a button press away.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 22, 2022, 03:22:31 am »

Well, eventually decided the monster and weapon updates earlier were to my liking, so have another WIP Arcana update: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/280

Adds three new spells, all thematically connected to the Six Pillars book, and a new craftable armor item.

New spells:
* Magic Sign: Phase Shield. This is a defensive spell that works much like Shadowy Shield, creating an aura item that triggers an effect when enemies hit you. Instead of directly debuffing and damaging a single target each time however, instead it has a 10% chance per hit to shunt all hostiles within a certain radius around you away. This relies on area_push since teleporting spells don't play well with anyone but the player being targeted by them, especially from on-hit effects.
* Magic Sign: Earthweaving. This is a ter-transform spell that works on a single tile at a time, so it has a fairly low spell rank to fit. Any diggable terrain you target with it will be replaced by a root wall, or conversely root walls can automatically be reduced down to plain dirt. Likewise, a more narrow effect of it can turn natural stone walls into stone floor, and vice-versa.
* Magic Sign: Dark Lance. This expands the roster of offensive spells you can obtain as Magic Signs to include a cold-type option. Fires a beam attack, with its "sweet spot" for double damage being the first few tiles in that line, inflicting cold-type damage and blindness on targets.

And the new armor:
* Abyssal armor. Made by modifying a set of wyrmskin armor, this is basically mutant-friendly heavy armor with combat-oriented special abilities when activated. In addition to being shaped into plate-tier armor, activating it grants a whole host of positive and negative effects. The main abilities it presents are in constant pain recovery and being able to help rapidly set any broken limbs while it's active, but it also affects things like attack speed and dodging. In exchange however it tends to magnify aggression from mundane wildlife and weird monsters alike, being hit has a chance of actively granting a dose of nether fatigue, and it'll wear down your needs gain and healthiness. More importantly, its recipe requires you to outright sacrifice the ring of the fallen angel, making it an item that encourages you to favor the cursed blade (which it combos extremely well with) over the restored ritual blade. Effectively a sanguinist-leaning equivalent to the berserker armor from, well, Berserk.

Still some stuff I need to finish up as mentioned in the PR, but at present all the stuff needed for the above items to work as intended and be obtainable is present in the BN version of the branch.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 22, 2022, 03:40:30 am »

I wish there was a way to tell when a military backpack or any other bit of clothing had an attached pouch with out having to pick it up and activate it, why couldn't they do it like guns with a + and a number?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 22, 2022, 08:23:18 am »

I wish there was a way to tell when a military backpack or any other bit of clothing had an attached pouch with out having to pick it up and activate it, why couldn't they do it like guns with a + and a number?
Or like for ballistic vests, with e.g "(mag pouches)".

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #835 on: September 23, 2022, 05:16:16 pm »

Anyone ever thought how a Dark Souls mod for Cataclysm would work out?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:02 pm »

Anyone ever thought how a Dark Souls mod for Cataclysm would work out?

Something tells me that anything trying to replicate the general feel of playing a Soulsborne game won't work so well in a game with permadeath...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 23, 2022, 06:00:57 pm »

If you can work in respawns it would be a good base, maybe. The goal isn't to survive, but to avoid losing your mind or becoming corrupted.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 23, 2022, 08:03:52 pm »

I suppose general theming and flavor would work too, but a competent version would basically be a full-on medieval fantasy TC..
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2022, 11:16:44 am »

Finally got around to a bit more actually playing BN, and just barely scraped through one of Arcana's bosses that I'd recently buffed:

Basically, in another recent tweak, I bumped the HP values of the main bosses from a range of 680-990 to 1000-2000, and adjusted armor values a bit, generally just rounding everything up (or sometimes down, if it'd make armor values vary more) to a multiple of 5. General goal was making the bosses last at least long enough against a better-equipped character to show off some of their special abilities, and making their armor vary enough to actually be meaningful.

My character had more in the way of tricks than raw brute force, compared to a late-game survivor. Mid-level combat skills, armor that's good but not really heavy enough to stand up to the dracolich in a sustained melee, and a weapon that's excellent against basic enemies but happens to be a piercing weapon with rapid strike against a boss that has an okay level of stab protection. But what I did have was a martial art that worked well with the weapon (in exchange for debuffs that meant I couldn't really dodge-tank), a few utility spells to level the playing field, and some charges of acid spray from the wyrmskin armor to add a bit more damage.

If I'd made use of the two summoning glyphs I had with me earlier than I did, I could've probably had a much easier time of it, as then I'd be able to keep back and make full use of the shrike's misericorde's pistol mode, but one of them died fairly quickly so dunno how long they'd actually last. If I'd waited to bring the copy of History of Alchemy I found there back home, I could've returned with citrine incense for some emergency stamina regen if needed to run off more easily, make some space to reload, re-cast some Magic Signs, etc. That would've been even more useful had I taken time to learn and probably level up an offensive spell, too.

So I think this test does give me a feel that this more or less accomplishes what it was supposed to. The dracolich lasts a lot longer, so I expect a better-geared character would find it more of a fair fight, unless you cheesed it with a LAW, or by just using clairvoyance and dropping target_attack spells on it from the other side of the wall, that one I don't really have any viable way to develop a counter for. But at the same time while it'll definitely mutilate an unprepared character, a more mid-game character like the one I brought against it can make it work by throwing every trick the mod gives them at that point, which seems fitting since I do like the idea of Arcana's bosses being trickery but having multiple ways to work around their various strengths.

About the only thing I'd change is make sure that the dracolich's "charred vomit" spell it sometimes uses instead of its breath weapon can't apply the corrosion status effect directly onto the target, because it's flavored as just a mundane "tried to breathe flames but failed" type attack, and I was wearing armor that's immune to acid.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73