Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 101529 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2022, 04:12:38 pm »

Noticed in the CDDA commits , there was something rather amazing :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/56778

https://preview.redd.it/if4q4u81b0u81.png?width=1069&format=png&auto=webp&s=a664ae14406b92b3316e64d7710a2e3bccc306ed

I hope it means some people will be able to make more real life locations maps like this one in the future.

It's a neat gimmick, but until they actually rip the guts out of the godawful city and road generation, it'll only ever be a gimmick. My big pet peeve is the massive Isherwood special that always looks so out of place, especially on the pics from that mod. Speaking of bad map generation, I had this wild bit of map gen recently:

Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

Even aside from the many many redundant bridges, there's a lot to unpack there.

You say wild mapgen, I say I would love to play that.
I looooove water worlds in CDDA, gives me a reason to build boats.
It's more fucked up in the roads department.  I mean, what were they thinking with that road to the Evac Center?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2022, 05:54:17 pm »

Welp, I've now merged the Patchmods update to Arcana. It adds extra mods that allow content in Arcana to interact a bit more with Aftershock, Cataclysm++, DinoMod, and Magiclysm in certain ways.

Cataclysm++:
* Moved DDA version's itemgroup and monsterdrop additions for Cata++ to relevant patchmod. Itemgroup additions can stay in-mod for the BN version for now.
* Implemented martial arts additions so Via Gladium et Malleo, Shrike's Talons, and Post-Human Combatives can cite relevant weapons from the other mod.
* The biological weapons can now be taken apart, its uncrafts are a reference to plot ideas thought up by Noctifer, implying that purifying them is far less straightforward than normal magic items.

Dinomod:
* Injected monsterpart death drops into some of the anomalous dinos, mainly fungal and certain evolved zombie dinos.

Magiclysm:
* The myriad of delicious day-one death machines now have death drops inserted, for both BN and DDA.
* Moved itemgroup additions from DDA version over to patchmod folder.
* Added a ton of martial arts injections for the various "generic weapon that's just a vanilla weapon but +1 or +2" items as well as any of the actually interesting stuff that fit the two styles.
* Added crafting requirement overrides (see below), so that recipes involving blood magic can use dragon meat and blood.
* Added an assortment of uncraft recipes for consecrating various Magiclysm items. Currently only stuff the player can craft.
* Added a couple snippet entries that have the "there was already magic before the arcanist orders developed but they've been in decline" idea actually given some potential nods by some note snippets.
* Some limited injections of Magiclysm content into Arcana itemgroups for now.

Aftershock:
* Death drop injections in a few cases where the monsters seem suitably weird, for both BN and DDA versions.
* Added the few relevant Aftershock weapons to martial arts.
* Uncrafts for a few bits of weird AFS tech.
* Tiny itemgroup injection, couldn't find any other interactions that seemed fitting just yet.

Misc updates to the main Arcana mod:
* Shifted recipe usage of human flesh and blood into crafting requirements. Saves a lil JSON spam, makes some recipes more consistent, and allows for a patchmod change.
* Reworked monsterdrops to change the amounts of blood essence and dull essence are returned, just a tweak to the range to make the average equal how much normal essence you'd get if it were spawning that instead. Relevant since I'm copy-pasting a lot of that now.
* Also removed some obsolete itemgroups out of use.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 28, 2022, 09:37:25 pm »

Testing the Massachusetts mod, and wow it's actually playable and fun lol. The worldgen is also better for reasons that should be obvious.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2022, 12:56:35 am »

In the meantime, I've been busy with some stuff in BN, first some recent stuff merged. I already mentioned last time that I was removing Night's janky vending machine fake looting mechanics, and that's in now, royal jelly being useful once again, etc. Now for some stuff that's currently open:
1. Fixes for woodcutting activity. Basically, a lot of the hardcoded tiresome activities in BN, due to not using DDA's kinda awful activity level and weariness system, still slap you with fixed hunger, thirst, and fatigue costs at the end of the activity. By switching to a gradual rate of the side effects while the activity is processing, this makes it so better tools has an actual impact on how tiring it makes you. Also tweaks and rebalances stuff like how big a bonus chainsaws grant but also fixes up their power drain rate so now you aren't 100% certain to run out of battery trying to use an electric chainsaw. Hashing things out for woodcutting makes it easier to figure out how to implement this for pickaxe and jackhammer use later on.
2. Setting it so floor lamps don't inexplicably require 4 light bulbs to build. Also remove the dumb as hell RNG in the yield of deconstructing it. Both of these seem to be holdovers of the old days when floor lamps were purely just decorative garbage to salvage for parts.
3. Moving some more hardcoded mutation behaviors to flags. Specifically the ability to change size, breathe underwater, and JSONizes the way the barefoot penalty works. These struck me as the most essential behaviors that were purely locked behind hardcode.
4. I've got some additional follow-up updates to fix Sim's ballistic armor values for materials. Hard steel has more bullet protection than cut protection, so why doesn't ceramic? Also fixes up kevlar and boron carbide stuff, and makes some extensive rebalancing to make major ballistic armors hit target values in certain ways I'm going for for the sake of my future ammo rebalance plans. Also, robots and military zeds now get some sane, standardized usage of higher ballistic resistance.
5. And finally, porting over a useful feature that was PR'd to DDA back in 2015 but canned by Kevin for realism. It allows for mutant characters who end up growing in size category to be able to fire heavy weapons like the M2 Browning without standing on mountable terrain. As in the PR it's based on, doing this penalizes your dispersion and recoil. Unlike the source PR though, I decided it'd be a lot more interesting if Large characters could do this too (at an even harsher penalty) and not just Huge characters.

For that last one, I have some changes in the wings to that PR that'll also add support for gaining this ability if you've got power armor worn and activated, if Coolthulhu gives that suggestion the okay. If so then normal-sized characters will be able to use power armor to hip-fire an M2 Browning or the like at the same penalty as a Large character doing so on their own.

Even better, if given the green light for it I intend for those two methods to stack. So a Large character, being still able to wear power armor, will be able to combine these advantages to handle their big guns as well as Huge character could unassisted. And if you have active power armor on a Huge character? Well, this can't happen in vanilla since none of the available sets of power armor are oversize, but for the sake of mods I'd still set it so a Huge character with likewise huge power armor would be able to effectively negate the aiming penalties, because at that point they'd logically be beefed up on par with the mechsuits.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2022, 12:21:39 pm »

I'm curious if anyone else has had trouble with extreme slowdown involving NPC farming activities (in BN). I've got a little evac shelter faction camp set up with 8 adorable rescue cyborgs (because how could anyone not rescue all the cute prototype cyborgs). I've periodically had issues with them doing farming tasks which would increase their AI time enormously, making a tick take >1 second. I did a  3 hour surgery while this was happening once, and it effectively softlocked my save until I built from source and hacked out the bit of their brains that were responsible for locating shovels for farming tasks (as apparently they were triggering a fetch task on a shovel repeatedly for some reason).

Has anyone else has come across similar issues surrounding npc slowdowns when farming is assigned, or if this is specific to the conditions in my save's layout?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2022, 12:35:02 pm »

Is it with the latest version of CBN ?
From what i read they have made several performance optimisations.

But if you are experiencing this extreme slowdown with a recent version, i highly suggest you submit your save as a bug report :
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/issues
So the devs may track the source of that repeated fetch task extreme slowdown (and hopefully find a way to fix it)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2022, 12:42:04 pm »

Latest of about a week ago; and yeah, just trying to narrow the source of the issue down a bit before reporting it, and possibly finding a fix to suggest/repro steps that don't involve me finding a place to upload half a GB of save file.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 30, 2022, 01:13:26 pm »

I forgot how big those saves could get, very impractical for bug report unfortunately

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 30, 2022, 11:16:45 pm »

I'm curious if anyone else has had trouble with extreme slowdown involving NPC farming activities (in BN). I've got a little evac shelter faction camp set up with 8 adorable rescue cyborgs (because how could anyone not rescue all the cute prototype cyborgs). I've periodically had issues with them doing farming tasks which would increase their AI time enormously, making a tick take >1 second. I did a  3 hour surgery while this was happening once, and it effectively softlocked my save until I built from source and hacked out the bit of their brains that were responsible for locating shovels for farming tasks (as apparently they were triggering a fetch task on a shovel repeatedly for some reason).

Has anyone else has come across similar issues surrounding npc slowdowns when farming is assigned, or if this is specific to the conditions in my save's layout?

Not sure what the issue is but guessing assigning an NPC to a task can hang up if it's having trouble finding the tool, normal behavior is to bail and claim task was "completed" if I recall. Do hop you have good luck reproducing this though.

Meanwhile, worked on another idea today: Allowing players to use bows they lack the strength for, at reduced damage, range, and increased dispersion.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 14, 2022, 07:07:14 am »

One of the best feelings in Cataclysm is blowing away a bandit roadblock with a vehicle minigun. They didn't know what hit them!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 15, 2022, 04:54:02 am »

What has happened to this game, it seems like performance gets worse every update, it heats my computer up so much that it shut itself off now as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 15, 2022, 05:01:55 am »

What has happened to this game, it seems like performance gets worse every update, it heats my computer up so much that it shut itself off now as well.
More dishes in the kitchen sink game, and nobody's cleaning them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 15, 2022, 11:58:54 am »

DDA, BN, or both? For BN we've had a lot of performance updates over the past month or so but I'm not sure what the actual impact is under stress, i.e. labs, refugee center, etc.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 16, 2022, 04:37:06 am »

DDA, BN, or both? For BN we've had a lot of performance updates over the past month or so but I'm not sure what the actual impact is under stress, i.e. labs, refugee center, etc.
Should have mentioned that I was talking about DDA in that statement.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 16, 2022, 07:07:25 am »

Honestly I am not noticing a difference in performance between 0.F stable and the latest experimentals, maybe your computer got dusty inside, or your RAM got full, or you have crypto-mining malware leeching on your CPU.

But then again, I have a decent laptop. It gets a little slow in TCLs (for non-DDA players, it's a new endgame dungeon), refugee centers, and in the middle of towns, but it's tolerable.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:09:04 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73