Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 101540 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #690 on: June 30, 2022, 02:56:28 am »

I'm not sure where is the problem there, i mean unlocking features through character progressions/achievements is rather standard gaming since decades.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 30, 2022, 04:22:10 am »

But what if you decide to update and just start all over rather than having to mess around with moving folders and want to play one of the challenge things from the start rather than having to go through a bunch of shit to get the achievement?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 30, 2022, 06:51:03 am »

Probably can be done the same as in other games with featues locked at start : just cheat with files to unlock everything from the start ?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 30, 2022, 08:40:24 am »

Stuff like this makes me happy that BN exists.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #694 on: June 30, 2022, 08:45:54 am »

I'm not sure where is the problem there, i mean unlocking features through character progressions/achievements is rather standard gaming since decades.

I personally think it's a problem because Cataclysm DDA is supposed to an Apocalypse Simulator/Sandbox game. Adding in such a plateau where you have to do certain things to unlock features that weren't lock-gated before... Just seems so arcady/gamey to me.

I'll be disappointed in CDDA if they go through with implementing such mechanics.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 30, 2022, 09:04:15 am »

Adding in such a plateau where you have to do certain things to unlock features that weren't lock-gated before... Just seems so arcady/gamey to me.

It's funny because they're so adamant that DDA is a simulator and not a game, so this falls into the same trap of "realism only matters if it hurts the player" in that it's a very gamey feature that only hurts the player so of course they'd love it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

AllOfThem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 30, 2022, 10:51:31 am »

It's funny because they're so adamant that DDA is a simulator and not a game,

No one says that, the first sentence on the main page of the github of the game is literally
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a turn-based survival game set in a post-apocalyptic world.

No one working on the game is saying this is not a game.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.hu
« Reply #697 on: June 30, 2022, 04:01:03 pm »

And Darth Vader never said “Luke, I am your father!”

Nevertheless Vader still told Luke that he was his father, and the DDA Devs generally still prioritize “realism” over fun gameplay.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 30, 2022, 04:10:02 pm »

And to preempt the inevitable shitpost: yes, we know they're SAYING this feature will be optional. But our trust that it won't become a mandatory obstacle at some point is basically non-existent.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 30, 2022, 04:57:19 pm »

Adding in such a plateau where you have to do certain things to unlock features that weren't lock-gated before... Just seems so arcady/gamey to me.

It's funny because they're so adamant that DDA is a simulator and not a game, so this falls into the same trap of "realism only matters if it hurts the player" in that it's a very gamey feature that only hurts the player so of course they'd love it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2022, 05:59:44 pm »

And to preempt the inevitable shitpost: yes, we know they're SAYING this feature will be optional. But our trust that it won't become a mandatory obstacle at some point is basically non-existent.

"shitpost" doesn't mean "post i disagree with"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 01, 2022, 12:45:49 am »

It's funny because they're so adamant that DDA is a simulator and not a game,
No one says that
I'm pretty sure I saw Kevin say that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 01, 2022, 12:48:49 am »

Either Kevin or Erk has definitely made the argument before, yeah. Not sure where though, just that the comeback of "well of course, because a game is expected to be playable" was very tempting when I first saw that remark.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 01, 2022, 04:02:47 am »

Paranoia much? I actually agree with the rationale, too many new players go for a challenge start or a profession like Prototype Cyborg first, get frustrated, and quit. Those professions being available to new players often hurts them.

But what if you decide to update and just start all over rather than having to mess around with moving folders and want to play one of the challenge things from the start rather than having to go through a bunch of shit to get the achievement?
Don't you already move settings and save files and stuff like that when updating? You can also use a launcher and forget about it.

In general, this feels like more knee-jerk drama and overreaction that will be forgotten about in a month. Plenty of other roguelikes and roguelites have this kind of meta-progression, and for good reason. Having too many options available to new players tends to lead them into doing things that sound cool but simply can't be pulled off by them. I bet if the BN devs did this, we wouldn't hear a single peep here. But no, Kevin and Erk are literally the second comings of Hitler and Stalin, and nothing they ever do is good, any design decision they make is meant to remove fun, and every out-of-context quote from them represents their intent. Grow up. The whining here is some amazing motivation for me to make PRs for DDA.

I actually think realism is fun, TBH. Part of why I don't play BN, the other part is that the community has too much freedom of speech and thus attracts various bigots who were expelled from the DDA community. The last thing I want to do is associate with them. It's toxic.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 04:22:31 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 01, 2022, 04:28:53 am »

I almost always go for max points by taking the infected wound + burning building start and usually die, but if I survive the character is strong enough to feel cheesy after finding gear. I don't mind start scenarios being locked especially if it's optional in the options menu for a new world or whatnot, I would probably play a more average and less min-max character the next time I play DDA instead of a Katana wielding super genius.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 73