Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 103179 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #900 on: February 04, 2023, 11:08:37 pm »

Now, if a signal flare should set a fire over there, it would probably be the most useful item in the game.

Also, this discussion of barrel length had me thinking: Is there a maximum barrel length for a gun being carried by the player?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 04, 2023, 11:16:00 pm »

Now, if a signal flare should set a fire over there, it would probably be the most useful item in the game.

Also, this discussion of barrel length had me thinking: Is there a maximum barrel length for a gun being carried by the player?
Actually as far as I remember it does. I remember shooting it for fun and a small fire appearing.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 05, 2023, 12:34:57 am »

Okay yeah, being able to have that burning flare then set a fire probably upgrades its utility a bit. Though also a double-edged sword.

As for barrel length...uh, sorta? In BN barrel length is actually directly just amount of volume taken off the gun, so you wouldn't want to exceed the item's base volume. It also eats away at item weight at the same rate, so if the gun's lighter relative to its volume you'll hit negative weight first.

Barrel volume in DDA has the same considerations, with the added bonus that it also affects the item's max length stat in a way that's buried in the hard code and not really visible to the JSON author. I would assume it'd be very easy to accidentally trigger a negative length scenario there.

Unless you're asking what's the highest amount you could assign max length to in DDA? Since being able to have an item half sticking out of an open container is too realistic for DDA, a good chunk of items in the game will already exceed the first limit of maximum practical item length, that being whatever value is the max length allowed of any backpack item you're likely to actually use.

The next potential limit depends on if tile volume limit has been in any way fucked with. I'm HOPING Korg didn't do something ridiculous like build a hardcoded max length into the capacity of ground tiles given how no item in the game is ever going to intentionally hit that length, but if he did do something that absurd that'd be your first actual hard limit.

Then finally, the final limit for item length is probably going to be a 32-bit integer overflow, the net result of which will depend on if the unit is stored as millimeters, centimeters, or what. I'm fairly certain it's in mm (see how the entire reason bionic capacity in DDA got fucked up so badly was because the game only ever USES joules and kilojoules but the game stores it millijoules, something BN fixed the easy way by stripping out a unit not used for anything at all), so the maximum item length should presumably be either 2,147,483,647 or 4,294,967,295 millimeters depending on whether it's stored signed or unsigned respectively. So basically over 2 or 4 kilometers long depending on how it's stored. MOST likely signed since 2,147 is the magic number that CBM power ran afoul for reasons previously mentioned.

Hell of a lot more leeway in that 32-bit integer when the unit you're working with is only 10 times bigger than the unit you're storing in, instead of a million times bigger, ain't it?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 05, 2023, 01:30:59 am »

Longarm bag my beloved.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 05, 2023, 02:11:13 am »

Now I need a 4 kilometer long sword so I can murder stuff I can't even see.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 07, 2023, 03:32:42 pm »

Since being able to have an item half sticking out of an open container is too realistic for DDA

it has been over a year since they added this

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 07, 2023, 03:49:55 pm »

Hacking in new types of pockets to work around the issue of the underlying code not having any support for being able to tell the difference between volume of a closed container and how much can freely stick out of it doesn't exactly solve the underlying issue. If anything that's actively worse than fixing it the RIGHT way because now the item UI is cluttered with a fuckton of extra pockets that exist purely as a hacky workaround:

EDIT: Furthermore, checked the PR and no mention of problems with length or any such thing was even mentioned, so your example isn't even actually intended as a fix for this problem in the first place. You're just citing an unrelated feature that doesn't actually fix the problem (and doesn't seem to be INTENDED to do so) to be contrarian.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 04:47:06 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 07, 2023, 06:33:29 pm »

Nobody bothered to implement things having a chance to fall out if you have them sticking out. Shit is hard, it turns out. And honestly more annoying than just limiting the length.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 07, 2023, 06:38:13 pm »

Nobody bothered to implement things having a chance to fall out if you have them sticking out. Shit is hard, it turns out. And honestly more annoying than just limiting the length.

Actually, they did implement it as a feature in the linked PR, for the pockets they added to them. Triggers on escaping a grab. It's plainly listed as a feature in the image above.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 07, 2023, 07:40:00 pm »

I meant things that stick out of normal pockets. Determining how much encumbrance it would have and how likely it would be to fall out is hard when it's an actual pocket and not slipping something between your backpack and your back.

It's not impossible ofc and I can think of several algorithms for how to implement it, but remember it's a volunteer project. And I'd rather this than no pockets. Not exactly gamebreaking.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 08, 2023, 03:41:41 am »

My main problem with the game right now is that if my character gets the shakes status and smokes a cigarette at the same, inevitably I will drop it and if I was doing something while smoking and it lands at my feet I burst into flames or it sets fire to the floor tile no matter what it's made of.

I feel that a lit cigarette sitting on concrete will not just suddenly burst into flames even if my character is standing there, so does someone know what to do to the game to make a lit cigarette not set fire to things just sitting on the floor?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 08, 2023, 06:04:38 am »

My main problem with the game right now is that if my character gets the shakes status and smokes a cigarette at the same, inevitably I will drop it and if I was doing something while smoking and it lands at my feet I burst into flames or it sets fire to the floor tile no matter what it's made of.

I feel that a lit cigarette sitting on concrete will not just suddenly burst into flames even if my character is standing there, so does someone know what to do to the game to make a lit cigarette not set fire to things just sitting on the floor?
You can "wear" cigarettes now to hold them in your mouth, and won't drop them if you get the shakes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 09, 2023, 12:37:38 am »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 09, 2023, 03:02:55 am »

Exciting, how much has Bright Night's development diverged from DDA as of right now?

You can "wear" cigarettes now to hold them in your mouth, and won't drop them if you get the shakes.
Thanks for reminding me of that, forgot all about that feature.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 09, 2023, 03:49:24 am »

Exciting, how much has Bright Night's development diverged from DDA as of right now?

There's been a lot of just assorted fixes and improvements over the year, occasionally porting things over from DDA here and there too. One relatively recent update that made it in, for example, was an implementation of relic recharging that Olanti did. He figured out a more streamlined way to do it that actually lets us mimic ALL of the features the old artifact recharging had, unlike Korg's system that can only really do very basic time and solar recharging (there was a PR intended to mimic ARTC_PORTAL but it's not actually coded to charge items).

For some stuff that's original and not improved ports of DDA stuf, we gained the ability to actually see what's below when you're on a higher floor:
Spoiler: large screenshot (click to show/hide)

Also turrets can now target moving vehicles, if they can't see a valid player/NPC/monster to target instead.

We got some more appliances that can be attached to grids now, like forge rigs, chemistry sets, and the like. One thing that was vital for this was that now furniture can now specify multiple tools that it counts as, so for example a grid welding rig can correctly be both a welder and a soldiering iron when before it could only either sub for a single tool at a time.

And as one of the many PRs making it less of a pain in the dick to get CBMs in working order, LeoCottret added a PR making it possible to install autodocs and their couches (already possible to deconstruct and set up elsewhere as furniture in BN) as vehicle parts.

Another lil grid thing I added too would be finally getting space heaters to be doable as grid furniture. :3

Going back a bit further, Olanti added the ability to favorite construction constructions on the * menu. Useful now that deconstruct isn't top of the list because it's all sorted alphabetically instead of by ancient janky load order math.

Another one by me, I'd implemented my own fix for the problems with flaming eyes inflicting fungus via teleglow. Teleglow and nether attention both got their effects overhauled, with nether attention focusing more on mindfuck-type side effects while teleglow is more physical. Instead of just glomming onto DDA's "touched mind" effect (rejected since it's just a mundane stat debuff), flaming eyes inflict nether attention instead. Nether attention can also convert itself to teleglow if it gets to the upper limits of its intensity, and likewise mid-low tier teleglow can still convert into fungus, so eyes can still fungus you. But now you practically have to be doing it on purpose to get fungus'd by them unless you're napping next to a portal.

And one more from a lil farther back, I'd made it so robots no longer get a blanket immunity to heat-type damage, so that lasers can actually harm the less well-armored bots.

A big-ass list of every PR merged since 0.1 can be seen on the changelog list for the 0.2 release: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/tag/cbn-0.2
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 73