Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 1935 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 08:00:05 am »

The Steam release doesn't add anything new to the game though. Except more graphical work for new features.
Depends if additional graphics, music and sound effects support, mouse control and a tutorial were part of the list of features they're calculating from I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:01:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 07:28:18 pm »

I see a potential problem with salt: Rock salt is relatively rare in the game, compared to the real world. As with coal/lignite type substances, and iron ore, salt is extremely common in the Earths surface, but rarer in the game. We could collect salt from seawater (the celts did) but it still would be a rather impossible problem in todays Dwarf Fortress game, to require all forts to acquire and provide milled salt. There are so few places to acquire it.

It's not just a food. Most medieval tanning processes involve salts. Salt can be used as a mordant for dyes. It is involved in some ore purification processes to make metal bars. It is used in a myriad of medieval industries.

So personally, I'm glad salt is not a requirement for the game just yet. It makes it astronomically easier to play.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 08:17:56 pm »

I assume that any food preservation techniques are simply abstracted during food preparation, in the same way that masonry and carpentry are done without visible tools.  Butchered meat and prepared fish lasts much longer in game than unbutchered corpses and unprepared fish, so the process probably includes drying, curing, salting, smoking, or whatever other preservation methods are available.

The only thing that salt would do to the game is add another resource to be maintained, and since food can be preserved without salt (via drying and smoking) it really wouldn't change much.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 09:52:31 am »

Whats about adding salt as trade good? It cost like silver, we can embark in saltwater biome and sell salt to caravans.
Pages: 1 [2]