Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: [IC] Wheel of Time Emblem - Chapter 1: A Glimpse of Thunder  (Read 14882 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Wheel of Time Emblem - Prologue: Westward Wind
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 09:38:31 pm »

"Indeed, Lydia.  Isn't it just?"

Alvienne didn't bother hiding her amusement at the White sister's response.  Instead, she merely clapped her hands along with the tune, waiting to see what reaction she'd get next--whether from Lydia herself, or from the noble she spotted peering back from the wagon.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 10:39:28 pm »

Hortensia was still on the verge of attempting pleasantries, so she still gave a small nod of acknowledgment at Eirin. She attempted to tune the two's conversation out. She had done her absolute best to keep her composure, but she couldn't help herself when she turned her head away with a somewhat inaudible 'hmph' as the gleeman saw fit to wink at her. Did he think her some floozy willing to just throw away her time to gawk? Now, she was trying to keep her mind focused on the conversation, but even that was dull enough to still keep the song from worming into her head. What was it even talking about, anyway? Why were these so called beautiful walls being pierced by a lance, anyway? It was...

...Suddenly, the small bits of education that were given to her as well as her knowledge of the common folks' disgusting fascination with certain functions that should normally be left solely to reproduction. Now, an audible gasp came out of her, her hands clasping around her mouth as she looked away, now thoroughly annoyed.

"To sing that in the presence of nobility...! Disgusting...!" Hortensia muttered to no one but herself. She might have complained to Isidro had he not been busy suffering through his own pains.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 06:42:38 am »

"A test of prowess? You know, I'm not exactly a mercenary."
Despite Dola's athletic frame, it was true. Fighting wasn't on her list of priorities in recovering rarities, just a tool in an arsenal that she was not especially good at using. She was good enough at it to have survived thus far -Dola liked to think that she was handier with her fists than your average civilian- but she wasn't exactly an apparent blademaster or some weathered soldier.

"Can I ask, exactly, why they didn't get a bunch of actual guards if you expected fighting?"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:14:38 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 03:27:05 pm »

"If I were to wager on it, I'd say it's because we're a good sight cheaper than professional guardsmen would be." It's not a joke; from the sound of it, he thinks it's quite sensible. "No need to find the best when good enough is right in front of you."

"And, at the same time, it's a good idea to make sure 'good enough' can at least pull its own weight when push comes to shove."
Black lives matter.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 05:09:10 pm »

"If I were in charge of who was sent with each Aes Sedai that left the tower, every sister would have at least three Warders and a detachment of fifty or so soldiers. As it is now, I'm not the one who chose you, Isidro did." His gaze shifted to Camira, the Warder's eyes seeming to pierce through her. "If you're that talented, then taking down an old man like me should be simple enough."

"A pendant, about the right size to fit in a man's fist, shaped like a hammer and filled with engravings. Some call it cursed. Does this sound familiar?"

"I can't say it does. I don't typically deal in such things. I could point you to a man in Tear who does, however, or you could ask that Domani woman we took on recently. She seemed fairly knowledgeable about the Age of Legends."

"Did she now? You have a great deal of interesting company, Isidro." Despite the topic, the Aes Sedai looked directly at Hortensia as she spoke, a twinkle of something in her eye. "It's a shame we'll be parting ways so soon."

"I'm, er, certain you'll find plenty of other interesting people in your travels,  Lady Eirin."

"Perhaps. . ."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »

Hortensia was already now in a pretty sour mood because of the music, and her attempts at trying to pay attention to the conversation were equally making her sour— the way that Eirin looked at her, after Hortensia managed to steal a glance, made her immensely uncomfortable. Not just because of... her secrets, but just the idea— were they all just on some kind of big recruitment scheme? If that Aes Sedai dared to approach her...

The nerve of these people...! Hortensia thought to herself, now opting to turn her nose up and just look at the top of the wagon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »

Baronel gestures to Sefton at the man's reply, as if that settled any and all problems the others could possibly have. He represses a grimace at the idea of each and every Aes Sedai leaving the White Tower with such an entourage. Though plainly silly, it was oddly terrifying when taken into the head.

"Well, there you have it. It was our friend the merchant who decided we were good enough."

He rests an arm on his bent knee and gazes at the warder.

"I'm ready when you are."
Black lives matter.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 06:23:12 pm »

"I'm not a fool to think that age doesn't do anything other than dull one's skill. I do agree with your point however, while Isidro has a potential eye for talent, he does bear the same amount of common sense as others in his position. Let us hope that your two scouts make it back soon" she replied bluntly, offering Sefton a simple shrug. In a way, she did agree with him, were they any closer to the Borderlands, she would make sure that they would be marching with far more than a dozen or so people.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:57:11 am by GodofGamingRWBY »
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 06:28:43 pm »

"Well, I'd like to think I can hold my own in a fight. Still, I'm a scholar, not a fighter, so we'll see how e get on."
Dola simply shrugs. Keeping fit and having some muscle did not a soldier make.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 08:47:47 am »

He couldn't help but feel slightly disgruntled that he was having to play this song on his beautiful harp. This song was really better suited for a smoky inn, fiddler and piper behind him, a crowd of drunks in front. Still, no accounting for taste and it was worth the chance to tweak a stuffy noble's nose.

"And so the knight set out to ride,
To conquer this city, to protect his pride.
Along his journey, many cities called to him
To thrust his lance through walls so slim.
But none could sway him from his path
To face the city and her guardians wrath.

He could continue this song, there were as many verses as gleemen could think of verses, but most of them were in the same vein. Better to just jump ahead to the climax of the song.

"And so the knight arrived at the city,
His prize awaiting, walls shining pure and pretty.
Her guardians cried out, they would leave him shamed
A warning to others, his head out in the field framed.
But unlike those before him so bold and true,
Who charged out, a move they all rue,
The brave knight if Caemlyn waited to dark
To sneak forward with no light except a spark.
The city called to him, a quiet song on the wind
'She wants to be freed," he said as he grinned."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 06:10:22 pm »

"I wouldn't necessarily call Hayate and Ercole scouts. Speaking of." The Warder raised a hand in greeting; from behind the group, two men seemed to practically fade out of the nearby woods, color-shifting cloaks making them ever-unsettling to look at. One of them was a wiry Borderlander, who might have seemed apt to blow away in the wind if it wasn't clear that every inch of him was lean muscle, while the other was a tall Illianer with a laid-back look. "Eirin is willing to wait for a moment while we do this test."

"Did she now?" The Borderlander spoke with a teasing tone. "What did you have to do to convince her of that?"

"I do be wondering that myself."

"I was sufficiently annoying, of course. Now come on." He gestured to a wooded area just off the road. "You four are going to come at myself, Ercole, and Hayate, along with a few of the longer-serving guards. 'Kill' me, and I'll consider you adequate protection for the other two sisters. And please, don't hold back for my health. Any questions?"

"Ah, seems like the show is starting. Won't you sit with me and watch the men fight, Miss Calderon de Mendez?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 06:38:10 pm »

"None from me."

Baronel pushes himself to his feet and steps down from the cart. The feeling of pressure in his chest, the tightness that had been slowly growing since their wagon stopped, suddenly became much harder to ignore. No matter how much he tried to tell himself that everything was going to be all right and that nobody wanted to shed any of his blood, he simply could not ease his worry - the thought of his secret being exposed could not be quelled by reason.

However, if nothing else, he was still decent at putting up a front of bravado. An old favorite pose comes to mind; Baronel stands himself up straight, sets his feet apart, and thuds a fist into his palm.

"Let's get started."
Black lives matter.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 06:44:35 pm »

"None at all. The terms of the duel are clear" Camira replied, placing a hand on her sword's hilt as she took stock of her to be opponents. Obviously, Sefton would be the most trouble, but the rest, although not nearly as imposing as the Warder, were still possible threats. One she could recognize as a fellow Borderlander, albeit from a different area then she, which meant that they had someone who, without a doubt, had their life risked at some point. Which was a good sign of someone's prowess. The other three that would fight alongside her seemed... Capable enough, allowing her to not have to worry about being dragged down and distracted by them trying to keep up.

Who knows, she might just end up enjoying this.

With that, Camira also hops down from the wagon, heading over to the chosen spot and taking up her own battle position: Foot back, body faced slightly to the side, hand gripped around her sheathed blade. Then she merely waited, ridding herself of intrusive thoughts in order to focus on the upcoming fight.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 06:52:01 pm »

Dola just settles into a boxer's stance, or an approximation of one. Formal training was something she hadn't had, but practical experience was something Dola had some of.

"Like I said, I'm no fighter. But we'll see how this goes."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »

"The knight charged forth in the dark of night
his lance bursting forth, ready for the fight.
He crashed into her, his lance arm strong,
his eyes full of her beauty, his heart full of song.
And there his lance pierced through her gates,
thrusting through as if ordained by the fates.
His battle won, his prize the fair city,
but he could not settle, more the pity.
He rode off into the sunset, leaving her gates asunder
For he gained what he wanted, had his plunder.
So beware the knights, who come in the night,
For though their smiles pretty and armor bright,
Their lances pierce and leave their prize alone
Leaving a city cast down, left with only one bone.

He ended the song with a flourish, the notes echoing brightly in the quiet before the fight. He gave a small sitting bow, with a wink at the Aes Sedai who had requested the song in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15