Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 9905 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:18 am »

B A
We should at the very least find out where Lamon has gone so that we can counter whatever tales he's telling.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2020, 09:12:39 am »

BB

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2020, 09:20:03 am »

BB

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2020, 10:46:58 am »

TURNTURNTURN
There's no further action needed on the Reece matter, you think. The Spymaster leaves, and a dwarf is shown in. As expected, it's Frain, the Runesmith visiting Belvik-hund, who has stopped over in Tyneset. You make some small talk, inquiring about his future plans. Apparently, he isn't of this kingdom at all, instead hailing from the Dwarven Delve of Mittanor in the northwestern mountains. He's planning to return there next, and likely won't be visiting Solfirth anytime in the near future.

You get down to business, and inquire about what items he'd be willing to make at what cost. "Armor is usually the most popular item, but it takes a lot of time to properly carve it. I could make armor, but I'm not willing to spend that long here. I could make you a minor runic item of protection instead, like a ring, bracelet or necklace. Inconspicuous, but able to ward you against mundane poisons and minor illnesses. Maybe 3 gold for that. Or I could make a weapon, axe or sword or mace, as you humans like. Got this new and improved rune scheme for striking true that I've been meaning to try out, 4 gold for that."

You ask how much it would take to hire him to teach you runesmithing. He throws his head back and laughs, "Well, that's the first time I've ever heard of that! Let's say ... 6 gold per season, and I'll teach you as much as I know. Don't expect results quickly, though."

Treasury 5

What will you request from Frain?
A) Commission a minor runic item of protection for 3 gold
B) Commission a minor runic weapon for 4 gold
C) Hire Frain to teach you Runesmithing for 6 gold a season (24 gold a year)
D) Sorry, we can't afford any of this at this time

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2020, 10:49:14 am »

D, though we hope he'd visit later when our finances are better off.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2020, 10:59:48 am »

D, though we hope he'd visit later when our finances are better off.
+1. With all the chaos that's happened between us asking to meet him and now, the treasury's mildly fucked until we get some income.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2020, 12:24:17 pm »

C

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2020, 12:49:39 pm »

D

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2020, 01:35:14 pm »

D
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2020, 03:05:11 am »

D
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2020, 04:33:50 am »

TURNTURNTURN
Regrettably, the treasury cannot afford the expense for now, you tell Frain. He looks somewhat annoyed as he departs.

The next day, you call in your Steward and Tax Collector. The first and most important order of business is to get more gold. The taxes to Duke Wolstan are due in Late Spring, a little more than one month from now. Of course, you'll be collecting your own taxes and so will your vassals, but there's a cash flow issue as you need to send your dues to the Duke before you finish collecting them from your lands and vassals. You currently have 5 gold, and need 8 gold to pay your taxes.

The Tax Collector speaks first. "We can move forward the tax collection date by two weeks," she says, "but that might cause some upheaval since everyone's used to paying their taxes around the same times every year. Or, you could write an appeal to Duke Wolstan to give you more time to pay your taxes, perhaps explaining your new Tax Bureau."

"We could also find a moneylender to borrow the 3 gold from and pay them after your own taxes have come in," the Steward adds. "Borrowing from moneylenders might affect your reputation, though. It's considered more proper for nobles to only borrow money from other nobles."

One thing which they're pointedly not suggesting is investing. From what you've gathered in your month here so far, there seems to be a general disdain - among human nobles, at least - from investing in businesses, which is considered beneath them and the domain of the mercantile class. Of course, you know better: sitting on a huge pile of gold like a dragon does no good for the economy. But as a solution to your cash flow woes, there is an element of risk involved, and you might not make up the 3 gold shortfall in just a month.

A) Shift the tax collection date forward two weeks
B) Appeal to Duke Wolstan for two extra weeks' grace to pay your taxes
C) Find a moneylender to borrow and cover the 3 gold shortfall temporarily, until your own taxes come in
D) Find some other noble to borrow the 3 gold from
E) Invest in some businesses in Tyneton
F) Do nothing and hope you stumble across buried treasure

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2020, 04:45:02 am »

I don't see much downside to just asking for an extension.  Worst case scenario, he says no and we try something else.  B.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2020, 05:02:09 am »

B
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2020, 05:46:21 am »

B we recently been fighting one of our barons he will hopefully understand
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2020, 09:03:20 am »

B
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19