Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 9907 times)

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2020, 02:36:37 pm »

F most recent so probably most relevent

A minor clarification, which I thought I had included but apparently failed to - the years are numbered BS (Before Sundering) and AS (After Sundering). Much like in our world the year count in BS goes backward to 0, so 100 BS is more recent than 200 BS; and the year count in AS goes forward, so 609 AS is more recent than 332 AS. This makes H the most recent event mentioned to the current year of 632 AS.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2020, 03:06:45 pm »

F most recent so probably most relevent

A minor clarification, which I thought I had included but apparently failed to - the years are numbered BS (Before Sundering) and AS (After Sundering). Much like in our world the year count in BS goes backward to 0, so 100 BS is more recent than 200 BS; and the year count in AS goes forward, so 609 AS is more recent than 332 AS. This makes H the most recent event mentioned to the current year of 632 AS.
I missed it exists, in that case H
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2020, 04:42:53 pm »

G grabs my fancy. A whole race/nation in exodus? From where, to where? Willingly, or not so much?
Likely to return?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2020, 05:59:05 pm »

A

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2020, 07:07:12 pm »

E
The Magicmachimz and the Sundering are fairly important I think

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2020, 02:35:46 am »

G
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2020, 08:13:32 am »

TURNTURNTURN
Tell me more about the Exodus of the Orcs, you say.

"The Orcs were one of the four major races just like Men, Dwarves and Elves. In stature they were the greatest of us, the average Orc standing at the height of a tall man and more than double that of a dwarf. They built their towns and kingdoms, traded and fought with others, and were swept up into the Regency just like the rest. It is hard to generalise much about the Orcs as a race: they were middling to proficient at much of the same skills as Men, and did not share the skill at magic of the Elves, nor the craftsmanship of the Dwarves. They had a talent for battle which suited their physical prowess, but on the whole it cannot be said that Orcs were more warlike than Men or Elves."

"In the time of the Confederation two of the sorcerer-kings were orcs: Krivak the Red, he who mastered the magics of blood and bone, and Belgara the Wise, she who sees all that passes. Great numbers of Orcs gathered in their southern lands, which sank beneath the waves in the Sundering. So did the Orcs lose much of their number. The remaining Orcs were mostly spread along the northern reaches of Assiria, along the shores of the Borea Sea."

"In the years following the founding of the Polonian Empire, the Orcs were ever a thorn in their side. Disagreeing with their emulation of the traditions of the Regency, no Orcish kingdoms ever joined the Empire, nor were Orcs present in their towns and cities. Constant wars were fought between the Empire and the northern kingdoms, and in time the weight of numbers began to tell. One after another, the kingdoms of the Orcs began to fall, until in 400 AS the last three of them declared all-out war against the Empire."

"They lost, and badly. Within the year Imperial armies were on the march against their lands. The Orcs withdrew before them, but not in the panicked flight of refugees. Instead, they packed up whole towns, moving that which could be carried and burning the rest, denying the invader any forage or loot. When the armies of the Empire reached their capital cities, they found the same thing had been done there - entire cities simply emptied. The scouts of the Empire all reported the same things: this great Exodus was headed ever northwards, into the treacherous, icy wastes of the frozen Borea Sea. The imperial commanders erred on the side of prudence, and declined to pursue them."

"That was in 401 AS. In the two centuries since, Orcs have never again been seen in the known world and have passed out of the knowledge of the common man. It is generally agreed by the learned that the Orcs are gone as a race. The Far North is not land in the proper sense - it is simply an ever-shifting sheet of ice over a sea. There is no way to farm it, nor are there enough fish in those frozen waters to sustain a people. Perhaps a few small bands yet survive in that frozen waste, but the frontier garrisons of that part of the Empire have never reported any Orc sightings."

Cool story, then. You're sure this will have absolutely no relevance to anything in the modern age.

A few days later, the Tax Collector informs you that the Great Survey of Lands has been completed. The clerks are still working to tally up the proper amount of taxes payable, but it promises to be a lot higher than before. She also hands you this map.

Spoiler: County Map (click to show/hide)

You make a note to yourself to hire some proper artists. "The blue borders are the limits of your county," she explains, "and the yellow borders are those of the Kingdom of Solfirth."

"During the survey, the men found an abandoned tower in Dwyndon Woods," she says. "None of them dared to venture inside, as the locals told them it was haunted. Could be worth checking out. Or you could deal with the treasury, I heard we don't have enough gold to pay Duke Wolstan his taxes yet."

What do you do?
A) Ride out to explore this abandoned tower now!
B) Adventure can wait, continue trying to deal with the cash flow issue
C) Spend some time with your wife, you haven't talked to her lately

If you pick B, choose one further option
A) Shift the tax collection date forward two weeks
B) Find a moneylender to borrow and cover the 3 gold shortfall temporarily, until your own taxes come in
C) Find some other noble to borrow the 3 gold from
D) Invest in some businesses in Tyneton

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2020, 08:36:05 am »

Wait, we are a border count, do we get benefit from that?
Did we get a letter back from the duke?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2020, 12:24:50 pm »

Haunted gold is the best for paying taxes with!

B A

So, assuming we aren't bold enough to seek forgotten treasures, collecting taxes a little early seems like a better option since we should be on good terms with our underlings for the moment. We can even offer a one time discount rebate for the trouble, it's like borrowing but with less chance for them to refuse.

Yeah, we're the first to get steamrolled if the southern king decides to move north. :(
We should've asked about geography instead of history, maybe we would've learned about trade goods we can get in on and/or charge tolls for. Next time, hopefully.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2020, 12:27:51 pm »

A
Maybe something within can be sold for money? Honestly I’m curious about whether souls can exist without bodies, and what better way to find out than exploring a tower supposedly filled with them?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:03 pm »

BA, please. We can investigate the tower later. We need money now.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2020, 05:21:42 pm »

A.  Don't panic.  It's only been a few days, and we're still waiting on a response to our letter.  Once the week had ended, we'll either have the letter or know that he decided not to respond.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:27:22 pm by ZBridges »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2020, 06:24:56 pm »

Yeah, we're the first to get steamrolled if the southern king decides to move north. :(
We should've asked about geography instead of history, maybe we would've learned about trade goods we can get in on and/or charge tolls for. Next time, hopefully.
I meant more in some benefit from our king\duke, but that true.
BA

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2020, 03:16:57 am »

AA
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:36 pm »

The second was for if B was picked, you can backspace the second A
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19