Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 31896 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 12:27:42 pm »

Give paleontonigist money to acquire bones!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 02:13:38 pm »

Knock.

[1d6 = 5]

You manage to wriggle your arm around to your head. You draw back your hand, and knock firmly on what you’re pretty sure is the roof of the coffin…
And you push the lid open. Sitting up, you see that you are in a large shed, with a few other coffins sitting on tables. The door to the shed is slightly ajar.

Name: Tim
Description: Long black-haired girl from a farming village. Likes fire and demonic rituals.[demonic rituals mostly for the fire and potential brimstone.]
Current goals:
 Sacrifice the entire village to demons for Inordinate Power! [Long-Term, Inordinate]
 Remain free of suspicion by the villagers as I enact my plot.[Long-Term, Easy]
 Get off scot free afterward. [Short-term, Hard]

Look through the demonic cultist books I stole off a traveling merchant for rituals.

[1d6 = 1]

You’ve never seen the language that the books are written in before, but it definitely looks demonic. The trouble, of course, is that you’ve never seen the language that the books are written in before.

Spoiler: SWOLEBROTHER RETURNS. (click to show/hide)

PERFORM SWOLEPOSES IN THE STREETS. TO PASSERBY, THEY'RE A PERFORMANCE ART. TO THOSE WHO WALK THE PATH OF THE SWOLE, IT'S A CALL TO A CRUSADE.

[1d6 = 6]

To most passersby, they are a bizarre form of performance art. But to one man, they are something more. He stops and stares, then marches toward you. “I AM AGRIPPA MUSCLUS, MUSCLEMAN! I SEE THAT YOU ALSO WALK A PATH OF FITNESS, THOUGH A DIFFERENT ONE THAN I! I CHALLENGE YOU TO A CONTEST OF PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND WE WILL SEE WHOSE PATH IS SUPERIOR! AS CHALLENGED PARTY, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE THE FORM OF THE CONTEST!”

Look around and try to get an idea of where I am.

[1d6 = 2]

Your hangover makes that difficult. You stagger to your feet, then stagger back down, then stagger back up again. You don’t remember ever seeing these buildings. Or maybe you do?

Give paleontonigist money to acquire bones!

[1d6 = 6]

You get into contact with him, and you make… an agreement. As you wait for him to arrive in Mexico and get to work, you wonder if the under-the-table-ness of this might cause problems.

(I will roll for the paleontologist separately)

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

Those are, uh… certainly some extreme rolls. And in the same alternating pattern.

Also, I have noticed that the backstories of most players are incompatible with the “start from baseline human” plan that I had. However, I’m willing to abandon that plan for the sake of not having a boring start.
As such, please choose a benefit approximately equal to ”achievable for a human with high potential, good luck, and multiple decades of work” applied to a somewhat broad area, or three benefits each approximately equal to “achievable for a human with above-average potential and a year of work” applied to a somewhat broad area, in order to formalize the benefits of your backstory. (Also, to quote the OP: “Benefits can be, mechanics-wise… pretty much anything you want, within reason. Increase the baseline for all rolls related to a certain thing, make critical failures regarding a certain thing less likely, even add in a new mechanic entirely… etc.”)
For example, for Devastator, it would probably involve wealth. For KitRougard, it would probably involve swoleness.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 02:20:50 pm »

Check coffins for items of use.
What am I currently wearing?

(Salsa does not need to eat, drink, or respire. Any damage which would impair these functions simply has no effect.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:58:43 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 02:31:55 pm »

Tim is extraordinarily graced by luck. In both the bad and the good sense.(Means that 1s and 6s tend to cause more extreme outcomes that can run out of control, but always seem to land in a way a path forward is available. On the other hand, average rolls don't really do much since it is too average for that luck. Her life is an interesting time.)

Well, perhaps write all the different symbols on the ground in blood? How many are there? Can they be translated at a 1 to 1 basis?

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 02:51:12 pm »

PTW

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 03:45:14 pm »

((ABSOLUTUS IS A PINNACLE OF PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND SHALL ADD 1 TO HIS ROLL ANY TIME HE ROLLS FOR A FEAT OF PHYSICAL APTITUDE. THE FEAT MUST BE SUFFICIENTLY SHOWY TO BENEFIT.

IF THIS IS TOO WEAK OF A SINGULAR BENEFIT, HE ROLLS TWICE IN SUCH CASES AND TAKES THE HIGHER ROLL.

OR MAYBE HE PHYSICALLY CANNOT ROLL LOWER THAN A 3 ON THESE ROLLS.

...YOU GET THE POINT OF WHAT I'M GOING FOR. CHOOSE SOMETHING LIKE THAT OR MAKE SOMETHING ELSE UP. YOU'RE THE GOD OF LUCK HERE, AFTER ALL.))

ABSOLUTUS IS BOTH ANNOYED AND THRILLED AT THE CHALLENGE BY HIS... AH, YES. THOSE WHO WALK A SIMILAR PATH THAT IS NOT "THE SWOLE" ARE CALLED RIVALS.

"I PROUDLY ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, RIVAL. BUT KNOW THAT I HAVE NOT NEGLECTED A SINGLE MUSCLE GROUP IN MY BODY FOR 30 YEARS. I INVOKE MY WAY'S CLASSIC TEST OF STRENGTH AND SKILL - THE IRONMAN. WE WERE THE INVENTORS OF THAT MIGHTY FEAT, LONG AGO, AND MAINTAIN ITS INTEGRITY TO THIS DAY. WE SHALL GO TO THE ANCESTRAL LAND OF OAHU TO DO THIS."
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 12:51:07 am »

While waiting for the bones, lets get to work scouting for the park location.  I'll need a lab or something to actually make the dinos, so..

Start laying some groundwork for purchasing (or leasing) the space for the park, preferably looking for cash-strapped governments and an island with some size and diversity of life.  I'm not expecting to strike a deal on the first try, but to identify one place to negotiate with.

(Great wealth.  Hammond spent his life making money, and what better thing to do with it than to pursue his dreams?  Reroll 1s when buying stuff or hiring people.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 01:52:21 pm »

Find something I can lean against to allow my self to stand, then wait for my vision to return and try to get an idea of where my house box might be.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2020, 06:20:31 pm »

Check coffins for items of use.

(Salsa does not need to eat, drink, or respire. Any damage which would impair these functions simply has no effect.)

[1d6 = 6]

You find human corpses. Those are… pretty much the only things that get put in coffins.

(Done.)

Tim is extraordinarily graced by luck. In both the bad and the good sense.(Means that 1s and 6s tend to cause more extreme outcomes that can run out of control, but always seem to land in a way a path forward is available. On the other hand, average rolls don't really do much since it is too average for that luck. Her life is an interesting time.)

Well, perhaps write all the different symbols on the ground in blood? How many are there? Can they be translated at a 1 to 1 basis?

(Done.)

[1d6 = 6]

As it happens, there are, in fact, only twenty-six symbols in the books, although you haven’t found a way to convert them to English You write them on the ground in blood, just to see if something will happen.
Something happens.
With a near-blinding flash of red light, a figure appears in front of you. Your eyes are still recovering, but you can hear her voice just fine: ”You may call me Atbash. I am a demon of writing and learning; why have you summoned me?”

((ABSOLUTUS IS A PINNACLE OF PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND SHALL ADD 1 TO HIS ROLL ANY TIME HE ROLLS FOR A FEAT OF PHYSICAL APTITUDE. THE FEAT MUST BE SUFFICIENTLY SHOWY TO BENEFIT.

IF THIS IS TOO WEAK OF A SINGULAR BENEFIT, HE ROLLS TWICE IN SUCH CASES AND TAKES THE HIGHER ROLL.

OR MAYBE HE PHYSICALLY CANNOT ROLL LOWER THAN A 3 ON THESE ROLLS.

...YOU GET THE POINT OF WHAT I'M GOING FOR. CHOOSE SOMETHING LIKE THAT OR MAKE SOMETHING ELSE UP. YOU'RE THE GOD OF LUCK HERE, AFTER ALL.))

ABSOLUTUS IS BOTH ANNOYED AND THRILLED AT THE CHALLENGE BY HIS... AH, YES. THOSE WHO WALK A SIMILAR PATH THAT IS NOT "THE SWOLE" ARE CALLED RIVALS.

"I PROUDLY ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, RIVAL. BUT KNOW THAT I HAVE NOT NEGLECTED A SINGLE MUSCLE GROUP IN MY BODY FOR 30 YEARS. I INVOKE MY WAY'S CLASSIC TEST OF STRENGTH AND SKILL - THE IRONMAN. WE WERE THE INVENTORS OF THAT MIGHTY FEAT, LONG AGO, AND MAINTAIN ITS INTEGRITY TO THIS DAY. WE SHALL GO TO THE ANCESTRAL LAND OF OAHU TO DO THIS."

(The idea I’m getting is that Absolutus is stronger, but still with the slim possibility of a failure. So… let’s say he rolls 3d6 for physical fitness rolls and has the combined results of the highest two.)

“I ACCEPT! TO OAHU!”

[1d6 = 5]

As it happens, there is an inexpensive flight to Oahu from this city’s airport in a few hours. The flight is uneventful, and you and Musclus arrive a few hours later, glad that the challenge has not been delayed for too long.

While waiting for the bones, lets get to work scouting for the park location.  I'll need a lab or something to actually make the dinos, so..

Start laying some groundwork for purchasing (or leasing) the space for the park, preferably looking for cash-strapped governments and an island with some size and diversity of life.  I'm not expecting to strike a deal on the first try, but to identify one place to negotiate with.

(Great wealth.  Hammond spent his life making money, and what better thing to do with it than to pursue his dreams?  Reroll 1s when buying stuff or hiring people.)

(The idea I’m getting is that it’s rare for Hammond to not have enough money to buy something, but it’s still possible for deals and such to fail due to other things.)

[1d6 = 1] [1d6 = 2]

Unfortunately, it seems that there’s a lack of supply in the island market at the moment. There are few islands available for sale at all, and certainly none big enough to fit a theme park on.

(Paleontologist searching for fossils: [1d6 = 5])

Find something I can lean against to allow my self to stand, then wait for my vision to return and try to get an idea of where my house box might be.

You may choose a benefit approximately equal to ”achievable for a human with high potential, good luck, and multiple decades of work” applied to a somewhat broad area, or three benefits each approximately equal to “achievable for a human with above-average potential and a year of work” applied to a somewhat broad area.

[1d6 = 3]

You lean against a wall while you wait for your vision to clear. Alright. Now you recognize this part of this city. Your house box should be… that way.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

The rolls this turn were still pretty extreme. The pattern has broken, though.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 06:30:46 pm »

Okay, then what do I remember? And what am I wearing?

(In case it comes up, Salsa is also completely unable to breathe, or by extension talk.)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 11:12:52 am »

You may choose a benefit approximately equal to ”achievable for a human with high potential, good luck, and multiple decades of work” applied to a somewhat broad area, or three benefits each approximately equal to “achievable for a human with above-average potential and a year of work” applied to a somewhat broad area.
((He can with time and effort shape animals into what ever he wants, like making them able to walk on two legs and hold weapons or changing a rat into a crab, he can also talk to them and get them to do stuff. He probably could have used this power to do something amazing if he wasn't a drunk.))

Keep leaning against the wall until I feel like I can walk without falling over, then walk to my box.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 02:41:38 pm »

Next step is to check out the biologists.. and I'll probably need to build a lab, too.  Hmm.

Surely some geneticists in the pharmaceutical industry are tired of 30 years of filling well plates and want to make dinosaurs instead.  Do some walkthroughs looking to poach someone.. and maybe learn a bit about necessary lab equipment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 03:09:30 pm »

Tim stares for a moment before smiling widely.

"Hi, I heard from the local preacher that demons dragged souls down to an eternal pit of fire if you were bad and was interested. I want to cover the whole world with fire, burn everything down. I figured to start with my village and sacrifice it for Inordinate Power. Preferably in flames. Can you teach me how to do so and what this writing means?"

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 11:38:05 pm »

"FIRST WE MUST FIND WITNESSES FOR OUR FEAT. FOR WHAT ARE MUSCLES IF THEY ARE NOT USED FOR OTHERS?"

In reality, ABSOLUTUS hoped the ancient trials of the IRONMAN would attract his fellow SWOLEBROTHERS to watch, or better, compete beside him.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 07:06:37 pm »

Okay, then what do I remember? And what am I wearing?

(In case it comes up, Salsa is also completely unable to breathe, or by extension talk.)

[1d6 = 4]

You look down at yourself. You remember… how you died. You were in an unlit house in the middle of the night. You were walking down a set of stairs into a living room. You heard a noise from a doorway, and you turned towards it. A gunshot rang out. You fell backwards, and you don’t remember what happened after that. You’re wearing the now-bloodstained clothes that you wore in that memory.

(Clarification noted.)

((He can with time and effort shape animals into what ever he wants, like making them able to walk on two legs and hold weapons or changing a rat into a crab, he can also talk to them and get them to do stuff. He probably could have used this power to do something amazing if he wasn't a drunk.))

Keep leaning against the wall until I feel like I can walk without falling over, then walk to my box.

(Done.)

[1d6 = 6]

You step away from the wall. You don’t walk to your box, you run to your box! Several minutes of overenthusiastic jogging later, you find your box, just where you left it.
… actually, that was a little tiring. You wouldn’t mind catching your breath by sitting down for a while. In your box.

Next step is to check out the biologists.. and I'll probably need to build a lab, too.  Hmm.

Surely some geneticists in the pharmaceutical industry are tired of 30 years of filling well plates and want to make dinosaurs instead.  Do some walkthroughs looking to poach someone.. and maybe learn a bit about necessary lab equipment.

[1d6 = 1] [1d6 = 1] [1d6 = 3]

After a little research, you get on the phone with a pharmaceutical geneticist, but your attempt to poach him is derailed by a conversation about the details of a genetics laboratory. You now know what to buy in order to get something basic set up, but you haven’t gotten the geneticist you’re talking to interested in working for you.

(Paleontologist trying to leave unsuspiciously: [1d6 = 4])

You get a call from the paleontologist. He’s smart enough to not say anything out loud, but you can tell he’s saying that he’ll be back soon with your cut of the fossils.

Tim stares for a moment before smiling widely.

"Hi, I heard from the local preacher that demons dragged souls down to an eternal pit of fire if you were bad and was interested. I want to cover the whole world with fire, burn everything down. I figured to start with my village and sacrifice it for Inordinate Power. Preferably in flames. Can you teach me how to do so and what this writing means?"

[1d6 = 1]

You hear a chuckle. ”I can and will set you on a path to do so. However, if you can’t even translate one of the simpler demonic languages, I think that path begins with… going downwards.”
As your eyesight continues to recover, you see a hand grab you by the collar of your shirt, and for a brief moment you feel like you are falling very fast through something very hot. Your eyes close…
And open again to a dark and fiery landscape. The demon releases her grip on your collar, and drops the demonic cultist books in front of you. ”This ought to be a better learning environment. Easier to get results.”

"FIRST WE MUST FIND WITNESSES FOR OUR FEAT. FOR WHAT ARE MUSCLES IF THEY ARE NOT USED FOR OTHERS?"

In reality, ABSOLUTUS hoped the ancient trials of the IRONMAN would attract his fellow SWOLEBROTHERS to watch, or better, compete beside him.

[1d6 = 5]

You declare that you have challenged Musclus to the ancient trials of the IRONMAN in order to prove the superiority of THE PATH OF THE SWOLE. A SWOLEBROTHER arrives, eager to watch your competition. The IRONMAN shall be one-on-one, but the SWOLEBROTHER seems willing to join you if you bring pride to THE PATH OF THE SWOLE in it.

Spoiler: ”Charsheets” (click to show/hide)

The extreme rolls continue. Devastator’s benefit is being surprisingly useful. A very good choice, it seems. TricMagic’s benefit… we’ll see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18