Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 31735 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2021, 12:38:57 pm »

Provide personal assistance with forming the genetic sequences.  Maybe a second point of view is all that's needed.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2021, 01:13:58 pm »

I can see that.. the goal is to create something, after all, so it might be production and not research.  But this is the first dinosaur created, and it's the first time going through this process.  I'd be happy to accept the bonus not being relevant to make additional dinosaurs, but for right now it's pretty much wholly unknown territory, and we're learning how to do it as we do it.

It's also not actually making a dinosaur yet.  I'll still have to clone one after finishing the genetic material, which is a different process.
Hm. I agree that, although the general category of work that is being done is not new, the novel specifics of the work place it in "pretty much wholly unknown territory", and so it would probably qualify for the +1 bonus.
Thus, I concede the argument with the caveat that the very fact that the work is in "pretty much wholly unknown territory" would also carry a mechanical penalty. Admittedly, the penalty wouldn't be a flat -1 to the roll but rather a decrease in the effectiveness of the roll.
As compensation for my misinterpretation of the mechanics, the lowest roll on Devastator's next turn will receive a reroll and the worse roll will be discarded (as opposed to a normal reroll, where it is possible to receive a worse result after the reroll).
Is the above satisfactory?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2021, 11:33:22 pm »

"Darn it's locked."
Walk around the and find ether a door with an padlock I can smash off with a brick or a piece of flat metal that I can use to pry open one of the doors, once that's done go inside and look around.

[1d6 = 4]

You head around the side of the building, and find a door that, due to some architectural error, has its hinges on the outside. You easily remove the pins from the hinges and the door from the frame, and step inside the building. By the looks of things, it’s a normal office building.

ENGAGE ULTIMATE BULK FIGHTING STANCE

[1d6 = 6]

Bulk find inner Bulk!
… inner Bulk more Bulk than Bulk. That good, or that bad?

Initiative: [1d6 vs 1d6+1 = 5 vs 5+1 = 5 vs 6]

Steve move forward quickly.

Steve: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 6 with higher baseline vs 3 with higher baseline]

Steve spin and kick Bulk in chest.

Bulk: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 4 with two steps higher baseline vs 2 with higher baseline]

Bulk shove Steve. Steve thrown backwards and land on ground.

Initiative: [1d6 vs 1d6+1 = 6 vs 3+1 = 6 vs 4]

Bulk advance, looming over Steve.

Bulk: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 3 with two steps higher baseline vs 5 with higher baseline]

Steve roll away and stand up.

Steve: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 4 with higher baseline vs 5 with higher baseline]

Steve hit Bulk in chest with side of hand, but Steve not hurt Bulk.

Initiative: [1d6 vs 1d6+1 = 1 vs 6+1 = 1 vs 7]

Steve move very fast towards Bulk. Steve look like blur.

Steve: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 5 with two steps higher baseline vs 1 with higher baseline]

Steve poke Bulk in throat and trip Bulk. Bulk fall down.
Bulk try to breathe. Bulk try to breathe, again. Bulk breathe. Steve help Bulk stand up.
“There is no need for the spar to continue. You have impressed me, and so I offer to train you in the ninja arts, as my sensei trained me and his sensei trained him.” Steve say.

(Goal “Fight somebody” completed. You may add up to two goals. You may remove up to one goal. You may choose a related benefit approximately equal to ”achievable for a normal human with a few weeks of work” applied to a narrow area.)

Provide personal assistance with forming the genetic sequences.  Maybe a second point of view is all that's needed.

[1d6+1 with lower baseline = 5+1 with lower baseline = 6 with lower baseline] (I know I said lowest roll, but I should have said worst roll) [1d6+1 with lower baseline = 4+1 with lower baseline = 5 with lower baseline]

You take a flight back to the United States, back to your genetics laboratory. You don’t have any formal accreditation, but you’ve picked up a few things. You’re soon seeing progress. Looks like a second (well, third) point of view really is all that is needed.

(Ivanov researching better ways to splice together pieces of genetic material: [1d6+1 = 3+1 = 4])

Meanwhile, Ivanov and the other geneticist are working on developing better ways to assemble intact Ornithodiran genomes. Ivanov seems to be calm now (well, as calm as he usually is), with no ranting about “new interrogation interfaces” to be heard.

(The free progress point is automatically applied to the park facilities.)

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

Steve… uh… wow. You do realize you’re not a player, right, Steve? Steve?
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:02 am »

"This place is already way better than most of the places I've been sleeping."
First thing unlock that door and put it back on it's hinges, then go around and explore the building and see what was left inside and what kind of animals are wandering around the building.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:50 pm »

"Bulk accepts the Steve's offer," Bulk awkwardly bows to the Steve who is the Sensai now "We stop fight and start training."
Spoiler: Goals & Plus (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:38:27 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:54 am »

-Add Baseline plus: +1 for Hand-to-hand Combat Rolls. 

That would be both too versatile for a short-term goal and too powerful for a trivial goal.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2021, 12:52:01 am »

Send a quick message to Zucker telling him to hold off on recruitment for now.  I'm going to make a bit of a different approach at this point, leading up to a more 'they come to us' situation for a professional biologist.  (No orders for him, atm, other than 'stop')

With progress once again being made, I'll let them get back to work on the stuff.

Lets get some inspiration for the dinosaur containment, by arranging for some zoo tours around the United States.  I'm looking for both mechanics and inspiration to help me in the design process.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2021, 03:37:28 pm »

-Add Baseline plus: +1 for Hand-to-hand Combat Rolls. 

That would be both too versatile for a short-term goal and too powerful for a trivial goal.
(I don't quite understand how writing a Haiku would be powerful, could you please explain?)
((I changed it to Moderate instead of Trivial.))
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:39:14 pm by Horizon »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2021, 04:18:26 pm »

(GM is saying that the bonus you get is for completing a short-term trivial goal.  "Fight Something."  +1 to hand-to-hand combat is too large for that.)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2021, 09:40:21 pm »

(GM is saying that the bonus you get is for completing a short-term trivial goal.  "Fight Something."  +1 to hand-to-hand combat is too large for that.)
(Oh! thank you.)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »

(Oh! thank you.)
I can't help but notice that you haven't provided an alternate suggestion for your benefit.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2021, 12:42:54 pm »

(Oh! thank you.)
I can't help but notice that you haven't provided an alternate suggestion for your benefit.
I'm just a bit stumped, do you think you could suggest a benefit?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2021, 12:59:48 pm »

"+1 to taunt attempts trying to get something to fight Bult."

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2021, 07:09:54 pm »

"+1 to taunt attempts trying to get something to fight Bult."
Yes I like that, thank you. I was just unsure of an appropriate benefit.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2021, 07:25:32 pm »

It may still be too much.  You might also want to consider like an emergency one-off ability, say.  Or a much narrower combat bonus, like say a boost to your German Suplex.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:30:03 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18