Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 31934 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 04:49:51 pm »

Go on an epic adventure through the underworld to find those things. Starting by replicating the spell which took me to hell. Or just reverse-summoning.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 06:15:29 pm »

Well, there's not much to do but... go home.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2020, 03:36:46 am »

Success!  Or, at least, a good start.

Lets get to work on a bit of a pipeline here.  Maybe we can find enough related fossils to fill in the blanks, so to speak.  So.. talk with the paleontologist, and try to set up some kind of pipeline to create a more steady supply of bones or material.  A few more examples, and we might have something close enough to possibly call it viable cloning matter.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2020, 03:15:43 am »

Now that I have rat friend we shall set forth on our money making venture by first obtaining a shopping cart, then scouring the alleyways for used aluminium cans.

[1d6 = 4]

It’s not hard to “obtain” a shopping cart; the security on those things pretty much runs on the honor system. You do so, and then take it through various narrow streets and alleyways. The rat man, with his… rat vision? I’m going to call it rat vision… is good at pointing out glints of metal, and you soon have a moderate amount of used aluminium cans.

When TF2 is run, and chat is being used, begin chatting “hello TF2Sniper” until TF2Sniper replies, then try to continue conversing

[1d6 = 2]

After some time, TF2Sniper starts up TF2 and enters a match, but when you try to insert messages into the chat, the automated anti-hack defenses of TF2 delete the messages before they can be seen.

Goldie snapped from my mediation, "Ugh!! I need to calm down and plan my escape."

Goldie swim to his plastic rock home at the bottom of the tank. Goldie will take this time to observe the room outside his tank. He know that little girl should be here soon.

[1d6 = 2]

You are quite sure that the little girl should be here soon. But time passes (you, being a fish without a clock in view, don’t really know how long), and she isn’t. What’s taking her so long?!

REVEL IN MY VICTORY, BUT ONLY FOR A MOMENT. AFTER THESE KIND OF FEATS, ALL INVOLVED NEED TO REST AND RECUPERATE. MAYBE HAVE AN ELECTROLYTE-HEAVY SNACK. HAPPILY SHARED WITH MY RIVAL, OF COURSE!
...WAIT A MINUTE.
CHECK TO MAKE SURE I PACKED THOSE ELECTROLYTE GUMMIES. I KNOW I BOUGHT ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US, BUT I CAN BE FORGETFUL SOMETIMES.

[1d6 = 2]

You breathe heavily, but you feel pride, which is only natural; you won, after all! Now, where did you put those electrolyte gummies…
Your pride swiftly disappears when you remember where you put them when you got back from the store: On your kitchen table. And then you never picked them up from your kitchen table.

Go on an epic adventure through the underworld to find those things. Starting by replicating the spell which took me to hell. Or just reverse-summoning.

[1d6 = 1]

Flipping through the pages of one of the demonic cultist books, you find a spell that attempts to create a portal to either “the Lower Plane” or “the Higher Plane”. Probably “the Lower Plane”. It’s pretty simple, so you decide to try it.
Hellish power coalesces around you, and shoots off along an axis that is neither spatial nor temporal, forming an almost drill-like shape - and disintegrates into nothingness.
You try to understand the force that stopped your spell. It was like… the power that Atbash exuded, but… opposite and more serious. Hm. Actually, it might have been “the Upper Plane”.
Looking out the window, you see a dot of blue light slowly descending to the earth. No - it is descending swiftly, but far away. This could be a problem.

Well, there's not much to do but... go home.

[1d6 = 2]

You head towards your house, but there are a lot of road closures, for some reason. You run into a closed road, take a detour to avoid, head towards your house, run into another closed road… by the end, you’re no closer to your home than you were when you started.

Success!  Or, at least, a good start.

Lets get to work on a bit of a pipeline here.  Maybe we can find enough related fossils to fill in the blanks, so to speak.  So.. talk with the paleontologist, and try to set up some kind of pipeline to create a more steady supply of bones or material.  A few more examples, and we might have something close enough to possibly call it viable cloning matter.

[1d6+1 = (5+1) = 6]

You call the paleontologist in hopes of getting him to return to the dig site and get more fossils. He admits that the first time went off without a hitch, but he’s hesitant to agree to a long-term arrangement. But money talks, and your enthusiasm for your goals is almost infectious. Hearing the passion in your voice, he comes to agree wholeheartedly. He’ll be in touch soon.
Hm. He may have been a little too enthusiastic, come to think of it.

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

In this turn: More than half of the players don’t manage to do anything. That’s unfortunate.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2020, 03:27:13 am »

A result of 2 can be a bit problematic, yeah. It's the only face in RTD which makes precisely nothing happen. If there's no time pressure or competition between players to get something done, it pretty much results in a dead turn, especially if your setup is such that you roll once for every player each turn. It also might be frustrating to fail at doing something which should be trivial.

Well, I'm dead. Why would I care about road closures? Just walk past the signs and stuff. I mean, what are they gonna do about it?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2020, 05:09:57 am »

Excellent, the cart is filling with cans but before I can continue my quest I must get more cans, also find some clothing for the rat man so he isn't naked.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2020, 08:24:17 am »

Try and find a counter-balance spell and cast that to open a gate to the Lower Plane in opposition.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2020, 12:51:03 pm »

Wait for the girl to show up..She should be feeding us around this time.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2020, 03:22:01 pm »

A result of 2 can be a bit problematic, yeah. It's the only face in RTD which makes precisely nothing happen. If there's no time pressure or competition between players to get something done, it pretty much results in a dead turn, especially if your setup is such that you roll once for every player each turn. It also might be frustrating to fail at doing something which should be trivial.

Well, I'm dead. Why would I care about road closures? Just walk past the signs and stuff. I mean, what are they gonna do about it?

Good point. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to fix that problem in the short-term (even the "No, And/No/No, But/Yes, But/Yes/Yes, And" system has a 2-equivalent). In the medium-term, however, I tentatively predict that players will acquire either multiple actions, or a +2 bonus, making it likely that they will accomplish something each turn.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2020, 04:03:21 pm »

Good point. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to fix that problem in the short-term (even the "No, And/No/No, But/Yes, But/Yes/Yes, And" system has a 2-equivalent). In the medium-term, however, I tentatively predict that players will acquire either multiple actions, or a +2 bonus, making it likely that they will accomplish something each turn.

Well, the way I tend to rule it is that a failure without consequences is the same as a delayed success. If you roll a 2 (or in my system, a 9-10) then you'll succeed, but too late if there's any time pressure. If you're trying to pick a lock in the dead of night when nobody's looking, you manage to to it. If you're trying to pick a lock while being pursued, you're interrupted before you can finish. If you're trying to dodge an attack, then you see it coming but don't actually get out of the way.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »

Try making a TF2 account when TF2Sniper isn’t using the computer, then try entering a match and chatting to test if it works

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2020, 11:17:59 pm »

Lets get back to the land purchases again, I still need a proper island.

..This time, lets try a little bribery.  Maybe there will be more on the market if I start looking for the right politicians to let wet their beaks on the deal first..

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2020, 05:45:17 pm »

Well, the way I tend to rule it is that a failure without consequences is the same as a delayed success. If you roll a 2 (or in my system, a 9-10) then you'll succeed, but too late if there's any time pressure. If you're trying to pick a lock in the dead of night when nobody's looking, you manage to to it. If you're trying to pick a lock while being pursued, you're interrupted before you can finish. If you're trying to dodge an attack, then you see it coming but don't actually get out of the way.
Hm. That's an interesting idea. In a 1d6-based RTD it would make the roll table "Failure with consequences/delayed success/partial success/success/success with benefits/success with consequences", however, and that seems like it is skewed towards success. Then again, that's not necessarily a bad thing, if the game is supposed to be faster-paced (and it is). I would have to artificially introduce more time pressure to make a 2 distinct from a 4, though, and I think that might draw player attention away from completing goals and fighting other players.

Also, bump for KitRougard.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2020, 10:40:42 am »

...BAH, WHO NEEDS ELECTROLYTES ANYWAYS?
...I do but that's beside the point.
CONGRATULATE MUSCULUS WITH A HEARTY HANDSHAKE-BROHUG COMBO, AND THANK HIM FOR THE CHALLENGE. THOUGH WE WALK SEPARATE PATHS, I HOPE ONE DAY HE CAN SURPASS ME!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2020, 02:48:54 am »

[1d6 = 3]

You decide to just head straight through the closed roads, and through the construction areas. Construction areas, however, are not known for their traversability, and it takes time to navigate through potholes and scaffolding. Eventually, your house is in sight, which raises the question: What will you do once you arrive? Who do you expect to be there?

Excellent, the cart is filling with cans but before I can continue my quest I must get more cans, also find some clothing for the rat man so he isn't naked.

[1d6 = 4]

You can-collecting adventure is going well, but then you realize that oh, hang on a second, the rat man is naked. You “find” some clothing for him, and convince him to put it on. He’s still, you know, a rat man, though, so I’m not sure how much it’ll help him with “not attracting attention in public”.

Try and find a counter-balance spell and cast that to open a gate to the Lower Plane in opposition.

[1d6 = 3]

You desperately flip through the pages of the demonic cultist book, but you can’t find anything like that at all. The dot of blue light reaches the ground, and halts for a moment. But then, it begins approaching the village.

Wait for the girl to show up..She should be feeding us around this time.

[1d6 = 3]

After an annoyingly long period of time, the girl arrives at the doorway and enters the room. Then, she looks at the fishtank and gasps. “Oh no! I forgot to get your food from the cabinet, little fishies!” She rushes back out of the room.
...well… what are you going to do when she gets back?

Try making a TF2 account when TF2Sniper isn’t using the computer, then try entering a match and chatting to test if it works

[1d6 = 1]

You wait for TF2Sniper to stop using the computer, and then attempt to make a TF2 account. Before you can finish doing so, however, the computer’s antivirus notices that there isn’t supposed to be a .exe file like you in the top of the TF2 folder, decides that you are suspicious, and attacks! Defend yourself!

Lets get back to the land purchases again, I still need a proper island.

..This time, lets try a little bribery.  Maybe there will be more on the market if I start looking for the right politicians to let wet their beaks on the deal first..

[1d6 = 3]

You sigh. You’re not naive. You know that sometimes, one has to get their hands dirty. So you make appearances at clubs, and you make conversation, and money changes hands. (And so, the old world order continues.) Not a lot of money, but it doesn’t go into very highly-placed hands. Hopefully, when you check the market again, your actions have changed things.

(Paleontologist searching for fossils: [1d6+1 = 3+1 = 4])

...BAH, WHO NEEDS ELECTROLYTES ANYWAYS?
...I do but that's beside the point.
CONGRATULATE MUSCULUS WITH A HEARTY HANDSHAKE-BROHUG COMBO, AND THANK HIM FOR THE CHALLENGE. THOUGH WE WALK SEPARATE PATHS, I HOPE ONE DAY HE CAN SURPASS ME!

You congratulate and thank MUSCLUS, and he reciprocates in a gesture of mutual respect. And then, for now, you part ways.

The SWOLEBROTHER applauds you. “TRULY, YOU HAVE BROUGHT PRIDE TO THE PATH OF THE SWOLE! IF YOU WOULD ACCEPT ME, I WOULD BE HONORED TO ACCOMPANY YOU, WHEREVER YOU GO NOW.”

(Progress made towards goal “FIND OTHER SWOLEBROTHERS”)

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

Last turn was the turn of twos. This turn seems to be the turn of threes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18