Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: May I have tips on good base design?  (Read 5571 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: May I have tips on good base design?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 05:13:46 am »

I think one of the most visually inspiring things to do is build a long, wide grand hall at the center of the fort several Z-levels high with pillars supporting the ceiling and walkable pathways around the edges on all levels, stairwells and bridges intermittently, leading into the functional rooms of the fort. Carve open shafts into the ceiling allowing light to reach the bottom, where a meeting hall/inn can sit in the center of the bottom floor of the hall, helping reduce cave adaptation. (It has to be "outside, light" not "indoors, light" to reverse cave adaptation). It takes effort and time to build, for sure, but it's a sight to behold.

Sometimes I excavate a single large, inverted pyramid shaped pit with a large meeting area at the bottom and various work and living spaces off the sides, so dwarves cross the pit through the open air to get around, again preventing cave adaptation, and being quite a spectacle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 02:00:24 pm »

....Random irrelevant comment of the day?
I suppose it would be remotely relevant if I suggested actually catching a were-elephant.  But can a were-elephant actually ever fail to be ear-elephant?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 09:16:53 pm »

....Random irrelevant comment of the day?
I suppose it would be remotely relevant if I suggested actually catching a were-elephant.  But can a were-elephant actually ever fail to be ear-elephant?

...Never know when those ninja giant were-elephants will appear. I'm leary of going near them, they're dangerous.
 There are less eary and more eary varieties, but not certain if that's the case ingame.
But I'm still not sure how catching a were-elephant would increase your ability to design the base?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 02:04:59 pm »

...Never know when those ninja giant were-elephants will appear. I'm leary of going near them, they're dangerous.
 There are less eary and more eary varieties, but not certain if that's the case ingame.
But I'm still not sure how catching a were-elephant would increase your ability to design the base?
Is it an element of base design to be able to defend it?  Because I actually think it is.  If you can have some really destructive were (build them a place outside but near the entrance of the fort and make it lavish and wonderful for them), almost any siege can be broken just by waiting about a month and releasing them on their special time.  So it possibly isn't base design, as such, but it is base preservation.

Were-elephants are kind of my Holy Grail in this respect, because I have had them both instantly destroy a fort and also (inadvertently) defend it.  If you can get a were as a citizen and actually manage to control them, they're super useful.  There's also the nearly insane option of actually deliberately turning all your citizens into weres.  This is really problematic though as they lose their clothes, randomly murder other citizens, and just generally are not controllable.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:41 am »

'problematic'? Do you mean Fun?
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG
Pages: 1 [2]