Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there any official statements about using DF intellectual property?  (Read 1218 times)

Fubini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm kicking around the idea of writing a game that would be based on the Dwarf Fortress style/lore. Are there any official statements or even an official license from the Adams brothers covering the creation of derivative works in the Dwarf Fortress universe? Obviously anybody can make a game about dwarves digging holes in the ground, but DF is my inspiration and explicit callouts to the DF universe would be fun.

For example, Wizards of the Coast manage the Dungeons & Dragons intellectual property, and they have an explicit license called the Open Game License that allows anyone to make certain kinds of derivative works in the Dungeons & Dragons universe:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

I'm not looking to make a lot of money, but definitely interested in running ads to offset hosting costs if this were to go anywhere.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any official statements about using DF intellectual property?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:56:51 pm »

There's a notice in the raws folder about them being free to use. But best to just send Toady an email to check.

Fubini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:44 am »

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 01:43:20 am »

Does the DF talks count as official statements? They talked about it in the last DF talk. They go into the details some; you can not just print and sell a Dwarf Fortress t-shirt.
It should be possible to some extent though, see Regions of Ruins, the game with both plump helmet men and creepy crawlers (and red helmet men and ice slugs, it’s not all derivative).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 03:25:26 am »

Does the DF talks count as official statements? They talked about it in the last DF talk. They go into the details some; you can not just print and sell a Dwarf Fortress t-shirt.
It should be possible to some extent though, see Regions of Ruins, the game with both plump helmet men and creepy crawlers (and red helmet men and ice slugs, it’s not all derivative).
Yeah, plump helmets and gorlaks are in the raws and therefore free to use. "Dwarf Fortress" is not. Is the way I understand it (of course, best to check first).

Beyond the creatures and plants in the raws of course, there really isn't much of a "Dwarf Fortress world" you can reference, so the raws should be plenty. Most of everything people think they know is the imagination of long-term fans.

Fubini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 02:32:32 pm »

I was thinking of mechanics like the skills, plus some interface elements and the layout of structures as well. I'll have to look into the raws to see where exactly things are defined.