Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: History of Q'uaksnatic Papercrafts  (Read 10498 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
History of Q'uaksnatic Papercrafts
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:23:16 am »

Hi there, Bay Watchers!

In this thread, I would like to tell you about my papercrafting history. I think it's pretty interesting to look back at your artistic roots and see the evolution of your craft, so that's what I would like to do here, as well as to dive deeper into the origins of my DF +Papercrafts+ project, for it is pretty unique amidst all my work, and every single figurine there has a story behind. Let's begin!

In this post we'll map my journey from the very beginning to right before I started making DF-related papercrafts.

Spoiler: The Origin Story (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History of Q'uaksnatic Papercrafts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 11:44:16 am »

PTW, I've been meaning to read the papercrafts thread but I haven't got around to it, should probably move it up higher in priority than it has been.

Also those things are way smaller than I thought they were.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:16:39 pm »

I didn't know your papercrafting dates back to so long ago! All the time you must have devoted to it, all the efforts and just the sheer amount of figurines gathered together in those tea boxes, it's phenomenal! The way your skills evolved and improved through the years is a beautiful thing to see. :D

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 06:07:50 am »

Glad you liked it. Now in this thread, we'll inevitably bump into Tales of Kudarkalur quite often, so a bit of familiarity would come in handy, but here I want to focus more on the creative process behind ToK, so it won't be a necessity, I hope.

Let's continue!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 10:06:20 am »

They are quite impressive and very detailed especially when you show how small they are.

How many of these things do you think you've made from the very beginning to now?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:24:14 am »

They are quite impressive and very detailed especially when you show how small they are.

How many of these things do you think you've made from the very beginning to now?

Uncountable. I have absolutely no idea, but it's a lot. The Dominions set alone might have more than hundred models... I never counted them overall, just within the sets I was doing at the moment, and they are some sets in the Ancient Vault I've already forgotten about and rediscovered yesterday  :D

I would like to go more or less my whole DF set here, so we can count along the way. And oh boy, if you think this is well detailed for its miniscule size, wait till we get to crundles!

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »

It's nice to see that the uniqueness of DF nourished your creative spirit when you made the characters for ToK. It encouraged you to enhance their look with paper clothes, beards and weapons, but it also incited you to flesh out the characters' psychology, their roles and the relations between them. It added layers to everything!

Also, now I wonder: what was your trick to make the rugged cape of Oströtakåtôz? Did you glue tiny bits of paper together? And what is the backstory of the amphibian men and plump helmet men who fought Tarmid, the scissors FB, at the very beginning of ToK?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 05:01:09 am »

Oströtakåtôz's coat is made out of three pieces like thr basic coat model Alak has (one for torso, bend inwards on the sides, two symmetricall for the arms that would be bend in half and glued together), but they were cut out in a very jagged manner, that's pretty much it. I don't remember why I gave him a ragged-looking cloak, but it kinda suits him. As for the Tarmid fight, you're going to find out soon!

Maybe it's because of the fact I'm not working on ToK anymore, but I couldn't, eh, locate quite a number of models. So rather than to write down every missing one each time, I am telling you right now - the images won't always have all the figurines spoken about in the text present. It was inevitable.

Spoiler: Papercrafts on Bay 12 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:52:31 am by Quaksna »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 07:27:27 am »

Now I feel like I've missed out not reading that thread.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 07:44:36 am »

Now I feel like I've missed out not reading that thread.

I don't think you missed that much honestly  ;D ToK is still very important to me, but it certainly isn't a masterpiece of any kind, and nowadays I can see all the flaws more clearly, but hey, it is what it is and I'm glad I could make it for the Bay.

Also, over the time I would stop being so keen about it, and by the time -Drawings- took off ToK basically became a dump for exposition about the world  :P There are lots of episodes I call "incessant babbling", so brace yourself if you're gonna read it.

But we'll get to that in due time, I hope.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »

I agree that ToK has not achieved its full potential and that the story has some flaws, but TBH, looking a second time at these Papercrafts brings me very good memories. I had a lot of fun reading it!

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 06:25:48 am »

I agree that ToK has not achieved its full potential and that the story has some flaws, but TBH, looking a second time at these Papercrafts brings me very good memories. I had a lot of fun reading it!

Did its job, then.

Spoiler: ToK:Chapter Two (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 08:21:10 am »

How long do you think it takes you to make one of these figures the armour it wears?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 08:52:46 am »

How long do you think it takes you to make one of these figures the armour it wears?

Not that long, it's basically like making another figure but with two layers, and then just placing it over. But I do like to play around with the armor pieces a little bit more.

I never really timed how fast a model is made, but to make a nice one usually takes about 20 minutes. First cutting out the pieces, then coloring them, then putting it all together, considering they are this small. Bigger models usually take more time, it's harder to overall plan them, it takes longer to color the large pieces, and I prefer making anything bigger than a human two layers on their base body, so they're sturdier.

With the DF and Dominions set I was often creating multiple models simultaneously, which does save time considerably. It adds some time, but ultimately it's far far faster than making them one after the other. So it's not really about how much am I doing per sitting, but how many times and for how long do I get myself to sit down and work on these, and what plans do I have.

The models are of course very fragile and need gentle handling, but that is countered by the very easy maintenance.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 05:37:59 pm »

I find that the use of real cloth, pebbles and floor tiles only adds charm to ToK. Also, the Udirizden members are some of my favorite characters. Their outfits are cool and I remember that their conversations always made me smile.
Pages: [1] 2 3