Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: History of Q'uaksnatic Papercrafts  (Read 10504 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: History of Q'uaksnatic Papercrafts
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 01:02:55 pm »

For the two next chapters, I think I had reached the highest point of the DF set production. So brace yourself, and get ready for the greatest load yet!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:59:11 am by Quaksna »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 06:12:33 am »

Are you going to be making more of these in the future and are you going show them off on here?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 06:42:19 am »

Are you going to be making more of these in the future and are you going show them off on here?

Not sure if I want to go back to this DF set, but there is some stuff I did after that I plan to get to and cover here.

The thing is once you evolve in the craft somehow, you want to stick to the "better" you just discovered, and not continue creating the old "inferior". However, new DF themed set using the new methods is something I can consider, as that is something I did multiple times, creating a set based of some older one, just of better quality (I did return to Dominions themed papercrafts using the layering techniques of the ToK set, for example).

But alas, as of late I wasn't much invested in new papercrafts (excluding ToK from time to time, but that was more 'cause of obligation), and I shifted to sewing and drawing. So currently I am not interested in making new papercrafts, but who knows. Maybe somewhere in the future, a new era will arise like, those I covered in the first post...

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 02:17:33 pm »

The chapters 3 and 4 clearly show the advance of your papercrafting techniques. We can see that the clothing of the figurines is becoming more realistic, with more detailed features and beautiful folds, wich is particularly true on the four druid colleagues of Ebeca and the five goblin wizards.

Moreover, the animals and other creatures are often betterly made than before, although the llamas and Aspdosusmat (the giant wolf) from chapter 1 were already pretty nice. Among them, I like the tiger, that gives off a lifelike feeling; the ant FB, with its abdomen that seems engraved with patterns; and the bunch of crundles, that are adequately shaped (it's not so evident that they are made of separate paper pieces, wich is indeed a good thing). But I also like Rulasm, that is crafted and drawn with precision, making for a quite respectable villain.

Lastly, I agree that the cave environment is the most original and complete of the story.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 05:45:38 am »

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 05:50:25 pm »

As you were progressively losing interest for ToK and since writing the tales wasn't bringing you as much joy before, finding a way to end them was probably the right thing to do. I think that the stories in wich their authors have put all their heart into are the most valuable ones, so that you concentrated your efforts on your -Drawings- seems judicious to me. But in spite of that, I consider you had produced some of your best +Papercrafts+ in the last chapters of Tok.

First off, Kâdol is pretty cool with his robes that seem to be set on fire thanks to the subtle mix of red and gold on him. There are also those terrific cultists who appear very shadowy and disturbing with their strange, complex masks and clothing.

Then, the Golden Queen is a very unique character. I would say she is one of the most well-made creature of the story and it has a lot to do with her enveloping wings: they look real and kind of leathery, owing to the numerous grooves on them and their dense coloring, that also truly give them a golden sheen. Additionally, her very supple snakelike body and her cobra head allow her to strike highly menacing poses, wich is great.

Your subterranean tribal dwarves are, to end with, relatively simply designed, but just by adding colored masks on them, you gave them much character.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 04:21:32 am »

I've recently started reading the papercrafts thread and I'm enjoying it so far, but I feel kind of bad that I didn't post on it when it first started, I meant to but forgot and I ended up missing out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2020, 05:30:07 am »

Spoiler: The last papercrafts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:06:42 am by Quaksna »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2020, 06:25:19 am »

This has been a fascinating thing and I'm glad you decided to share it with us, and I hope you find inspiration to make more of these things in the future.

Also it has inspired me to try to make my own thing, that hopefully I'll actually start on soon rather than think about starting it but do nothing instead.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 09:06:35 pm »

I'm just gonna necro this post then dissapear for another 8 years.

Beautifull.
I love these papercrafts and I will be taking inspiration for my own project.
I might still do my clay models, but these are right cute and I like them.
Honestly I didn't read all this thread, but whatever.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 02:00:07 am »

Glad to hear that. I don't plan on making more, though I would love to do something similar, I was thinking of some sort of puppets I could sew little clothes on, but hadn't find suitable material for the base bodies yet. As for this thread, I might necro it myself someday, I kinda want to delve deeper into that board game thing from the first post, that could be fun, cuz I don't remember much about it, only that it was quite a big thing.

This is why I think it's extremely important to preserve your old works, because however crappy in hindsight they might be, they represent what you was at the time, and when you compare them (and yourself) with the present, the progress is all the more apparent. So say no to parents and landlords, and hoard this stuff  :P Yeah looking back some of this might be over ten years old, wow.

Enough have I babbled already, but! You spoke about clay models. I would love to check them out, are there anywhere for us to see?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 10:10:18 pm »

Very nice, thanks for sharing.  I especially liked the Megabeasts.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 09:01:15 am »

Ohoho watchers are flocking, quick, quick!  :P

Was kinda bored, so delved into depths of the papercrafts of old. Here's what I found:

Spoiler: The coveted board game (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:58:51 pm by Quaksna »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 03:40:56 am »

If you do start making more of these things you should show them to us.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 01:52:23 pm »

I like the diversity of the paper figurines in your board game. They are definitely more crude than your more recent papercrafts, but in spite of that, they are quite detailed and I find that they often give off a cool air of ferocity.

Among all the critters, my favorite are the faerie dragon, that I consider cute but threatening, and the Amon Bird, because of its special shape and patterns, even if I know these two weren't really part of the game... :P I also imagine that it was nice for you as a kid, when you picked the Firebreeze card, to take the fire birdie, and make it fly above the board to send waves of fire on your ennemies. :)

Finally, I must admit that the Slime Mage has an appealing design with its curved body and arms, and if you make a come back into papercrafting, I think that such pronounced folding would an interesting technique to exploit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3