Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misc. Politics Thread  (Read 3354 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Misc. Politics Thread
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:36:36 pm »

You know the AmeriPol and EuroPol threads? They're nice if you like that sort of thing (endless debates). But they only apply to just two regions: America and Europe. This thread is meant for political discussion regarding either the rest of the world or general political theory that doesn't really fit into the other two threads.

Note: If this descends into a flamewar I will lock the thread for a while until people calm down. Because otherwise Toady might have to step in and then someone gets banned. Please keep some semblance of civility.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Politics Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:56:23 pm »

There are actually threads for pretty much every geographical region, so you may want to keep this as a generic political discussion thread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 11:23:37 pm »

ok actually not a bad idea sometimes I want to talk about the UN or something like that but then people are too busy with whatever scandals are consuming their local government today.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:26:37 am »

Anyone heard about what's happening in the Caucasus between Armenia and Azerbaijan?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:05:13 am »

Latest I've heard is this:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/10/nagorno-karabakh-armenia-pm-signs-deal-to-end-war-with-azerbaijan-and-russia

The conflict was mentioned briefly when it started in the non-Europe/Russia thread but quickly got sidetracked into the burning issue of whether Armenia was part of Europe on not.

If you are talking about the six weeks of war a decent summary is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Nagorno-Karabakh_war

Or was your question more specific?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:47:21 pm »

There are actually threads for pretty much every geographical region, so you may want to keep this as a generic political discussion thread.

Anyone else remember Afripol? And RedKings' Eastasiapol? Me neither. Feels bad man.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 01:50:54 pm »

Also worth noting that Ethiopia is on the verge of a serious and potentially bloody civil war.
After the Eritrean Independence War in the 1990s, Ethiopia has actually been a relatively bulwark of stability in East Africa (certainly moreso than Sudan or Somalia or even Kenya).

The short version is that Ethopia's current Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, who came to power in 2018, has been working to weaken the ethnic federalism that has been the norm in Ethiopia for decades, and as part of this reorganized the military which had previously been dominated by people from the Tigray ethnic group/region. When Abiy postponed September elections in Tigray (ostensibly due to coronavirus), popular outrage erupted and the Tigrayan local government (and ethnic/state militia) began vociferously opposing Abiy's government in Addis Ababa.

Tigray is governed largely by the Tigrayan People's Liberation Front (TPLF), which was a major factor in overthrowing the Communist government of Haile Mariam in 1991. They were also on the frontlines of the Eritrean war in the 1990s, as Tigray and Eritrea share a considerable border. The fact that Abiy is seen as "friendly" with Eritrea (he won the Nobel Peace Prize last year for his work in Ethiopian-Eritrean reconciliation) is another reason for the rift. Further, Abiy is an ethnic Oromo, the first Oromo to be elected head of the ERPDF, a pan-ethnic political coalition of which the TPLF is a member.

It's hard as a non-expert in this region to tell whether this is a crusading reformer running into backlash from an ethnic group afraid of losing its powerbase, or a budding dictator running into popular resistance from within his own ranks. My guess would be, as so often is the case in developing countries, that it's a bit of both. Regardless of who the "good guy" is (or if there even is one), the clashes between the Ethopian military and the TPLF militias (who are well-equipped, well-trained and seasoned) have already killed over 600 and triggered a wave of refugees fleeing into Sudan.

Anyone else remember Afripol? And RedKings' Eastasiapol? Me neither. Feels bad man.
Asiapol is still out there somewhere, I just hadn't been keeping it current since I took a couple years' hiatus. I really should update it to talk about the Thai situation and the most recent happenings in Hong Kong. :-/

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 08:57:08 am »

* Seductively Backfilps Into Thread.
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 09:04:27 am »

Azerbajan kind of won. Not a total victory but made significant gains
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 11:44:02 am »

Azerbajan kind of won. Not a total victory but made significant gains

Seeing as this may be the closest thread to topics of modern warfare...

The Washington Post had a pretty interesting article over the weekend about this conflict. In short, it attributes Azerbaijan's success to modern drone tactics. Armenia's limited/old anti-air probably was a factor in this, and recent training exercises with Turkey's military. (and possible Turkish mercenaries.)

Azerbaijan used its drone fleet — purchased from Israel and Turkey — to stalk and destroy Armenia’s weapons systems in Nagorno-Karabakh, shattering its defenses and enabling a swift advance. Armenia found that air defense systems in Nagorno-Karabakh, many of them older Soviet systems, were impossible to defend against drone attacks, and losses quickly piled up.

. . . .

“Clearly, the decisive factor in this conflict is Turkey’s intervention on Azerbaijan’s side. They seem to be heavily coordinating the war effort,” [an expert] said, adding that it appeared Turkey had moved Syrian mercenaries into Azerbaijan two weeks before the conflict.

Turkey denies recruiting Syrian mercenaries to fight in Nagorno-Karabakh.

And then there were the drones. Their targets included fortified positions from the 1990s.

“There were massive losses,” de Waal said. “Possibly around a third of Armenian tanks have been destroyed. That’s obviously been a critical factor in taking all those territories.”

. . . .

In the early stages of the war, Azerbaijan used 11 slow Soviet-era An-2 aircraft that had been converted into drones and sent them buzzing over Nagorno-Karabakh as bait to Armenian air defense systems — tempting them to fire and reveal their positions, after which they could be hit by drones.

Azerbaijan used surveillance drones to spot targets and sent armed drones or kamikaze drones to destroy them, analysts said.

The drones purchased by Azerbaijan were Turkish Bayraktar TB2s (which look kind of like a budget Predator) and Israeli "loitering munitions" - i.e. kamikaze drones, possibly the Firefly in particular. That's a man-portable (3 kg) missile that can hover about, basically. Supposedly cheaper than an anti-tank missile, yet also allows for both surveillance and strike in one package.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 09:51:18 am »

Possibly-unpopular opinion: people should be forced to vaccinate their children. Because if antivaxxers endanger themselves then they're just idiots but if they endanger their children then they are a danger to society itself.

If they still don't take their children to be vaccinated after some verbal nudging and warnings by the government, they should be arrested and then recorded as abusive parents with all that entails (court case, children put up for adoption).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:54:49 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:46:23 am »

They're not just endangering their own kids, but others as well. There are legitimate, non-stupid reasons certain people can't be completely immunized. Certain people being young children, and rarer, those with allergic reactions to vaccines. Anti-vaxxers are risking all those lives in their senseless crusade.

Incidentally, we face a similar problem with anti-maskers, but we already have a thread for that...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:31:46 pm by ShinQuickMan »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 11:23:49 am »

Well if there's proof they can't be immunized (can that be tested safely?) then they get a pass.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 05:26:33 am »

Possibly-unpopular opinion: people should be forced to vaccinate their children.

For old tried-and-true vaccines, yes, possibly. I'm much less certain of newly created vaccines.

There's also the thing that a forced legal must is only neccessary in a culture where a large percentage of people has stopped believing in vaccines. The problem then is that forcing people to vaccinate won't raise belief in vaccines again, in fact it might only lower it further. Meaning that eventually we might end up with so many unbelievers that they can make vaccinations a choice again, or even outlaw them completely. So I don't think forcing them is an option in the long run either.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 11:58:17 am »

Russia is dying.

Dying from the corrupt oligarchs, from the conservative politicians, from the inherently reactionary Orthodox Church.

It can only be saved via a coup-- and while liberal democracy can indeed prevent the inevitable rot, it won't make Russia any stronger. God can't save Russia. Only an unflinching dedication to progress of all kinds can. The best future for us lies not in the chanting of the church choir, nor in the march of the soldiers. It lies in the steam towers of nuclear power plants, in the raging flame of rocket engines, in the cold calculations of supercomputers. We need technocracy. Less resources need to be dedicated on preserving our reactionary culture. It brings nothing to the nation, to progress, and can be left to rot like the beaten carcass it is. Nothing else must guide the government besides science and reason.

Exterminate all species of mosquitoes that bite humans, strip-mine asteroids, make sure the tricolor is waving on the Moon and Mars, invest heavily in AI research. Make sure that Russia is on the path to technological singularity and everything that stands in the way is crushed underfoot.
Pages: [1] 2