Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Sports thread  (Read 754 times)

MetalHeader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Sports thread
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:07:46 pm »

Just a generic thread discussing sport. Really, all you need is to talk about it. What do you play? What do you watch? Is sport a waste of time, money and labor? Does it have a place in society? Are all Bay12er's skinny/fat nerds with no hand-eye coordination? [insert question]?

As for what I'm in to. I enjoy a cross-country running/map reading sport called orienteering. I also dabble in hacky(with either soccer ball or sack) and ultimate Frisbee with my mates. Flame me if you must but I also enjoy playing a game of social

every now and then.
To everyone who wanted to see, this is my gaming center here in Taiwan:
There’s A Gaming Hotel In Taiwan And It’s Everything Dreams Are Made Of - http://bit.ly/2szgbf8

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:44 pm »

Those guys really tossed that ball last night.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:25:49 am »

And the crowd goes wild!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:47:09 pm »

Is sport a waste of time, money and labor? Does it have a place in society?

While I have zero interest in the sportsball, I don't begrudge anyone who does.  I would never pay money to go sit in a stadium of loud and drunk people who are shouting just to watch a bunch of men run around and flop all over each other, but if someone enjoys it, then more power to them.

It's certainly as valid a way to spend time or money as any other entertainment, like movies or video games.

That said, I did have some issues with high school sports back when I was in high school due to budgetary concerns.  A very substantial portion of the school's budget went toward funding the football team (this is in the US), to the point of building a massive new gym and sports facilities.  For a few years, the school had so little money to give to its academic team that the principle had to pay for gas for the bus to shuttle the team to matches out of her pocket.  The academic team had a budget of around $50 for the year.  At a school.  A place for academics.  But the football team got what I can only assume was several hundred thousand dollars.  Sure, the sports team did make some money from ticket sales, but I'm skeptical they made a profit...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 10:21:35 pm »

Spoiler:Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou Youtube Link
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Max avatar size is 80x80