Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Misc. Politics Thread  (Read 3353 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Politics Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 12:44:37 pm »

Russia is dying.

Dying from the corrupt oligarchs, from the conservative politicians, from the inherently reactionary Orthodox Church.

It can only be saved via a coup-- and while liberal democracy can indeed prevent the inevitable rot, it won't make Russia any stronger. God can't save Russia. Only an unflinching dedication to progress of all kinds can. The best future for us lies not in the chanting of the church choir, nor in the march of the soldiers. It lies in the steam towers of nuclear power plants, in the raging flame of rocket engines, in the cold calculations of supercomputers. We need technocracy. Less resources need to be dedicated on preserving our reactionary culture. It brings nothing to the nation, to progress, and can be left to rot like the beaten carcass it is. Nothing else must guide the government besides science and reason.

Exterminate all species of mosquitoes that bite humans, strip-mine asteroids, make sure the tricolor is waving on the Moon and Mars, invest heavily in AI research. Make sure that Russia is on the path to technological singularity and everything that stands in the way is crushed underfoot.
This would be just as true if you replaced the word "Russia" with "USA" and "Orthodox Church" with "Religious Right"
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 12:57:53 pm »

On the forcing/not-forcing of vaccines, Spain is planning to securely list those of its population who are offered the vaccine but refuse (sounds sinister, to that demographic; probably sounds more sensible Ok for the majority who will be '!offered || !refusing') ostensibly to make sure honest efforts to help slip between the cracks, i.e. don't get counted as a failure of coverage if they pop up later as queries. Should be easier to maintain than the vastly larger lists that dynamically complement this one, especially if needed to cross-check details across borders at some point.

(I'd have mentioned this in the Covid thread, eventually but it's a useful PTW point to hang my hat in here. And it can be considered outside of just the Covid/EU domains, as a principle, if anyone insists of discussing it further.)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 10:45:09 am »

Meanwhile in Uganda, all social media has been banned ahead of the upcoming elections, likely because Wine, the opposition leader, was using it to broadcasts rallies etc. after current African Dictator Museveni prevented regular media outlets covering them.

Basically just another day in Africa.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:22 am »

Meanwhile in Uganda, all social media has been banned ahead of the upcoming elections, likely because Wine, the opposition leader, was using it to broadcasts rallies etc. after current African Dictator Museveni prevented regular media outlets covering them.

Basically just another day in Africa.
The opposition has since then had its HQ raided, loads of files nicked

Wotta load of rubbish that is

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 05:48:35 am »

REMOVE PUTIN remove putin you are the worst vatnik

I hope the Kremlin gets stormed and every single one of Putin's cronies removed and a new Provisional Government installed. Fucking kill them all. THIRD REVOLUTION NOW! WHERE'S MY GUILLOTINE?

They can't find me because I'm behind a VPN and the FSB is too r******* to beat that. Because they're all dipshits and idiots. Not a single good soul is in the upper ranks of the United Russia party. Place the oligarchs under control and if they try to flee to other countries to escape regulations, then forcibly take their money and businesses. Yes it's theft, but they steal lots from THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES! It would be merely taking back what was taken from us.

After this, do something about the fascists. Killing them wouldn't be good and would just provoke negative reactions both at home and internationally. Censoring them will do. That counts as removing them in my book.

Now if there was a way to filter stupid people from running for office (even local mayors or the like) without the possibility of rigging the tests, but I'm afraid that's not very practical. They don't deserve to be in power, still.

For now I settle for spreading propaganda, inciting people to riot, and the occassional trolling/raiding campaign. I am doing my part in the overthrow of the Russian government.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:57:35 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 12:56:59 pm »

There is a Russiapol thread. Well, and Turkeypol/Israpol/etc., but mostly Russia right now.

Meanwhile in Myanmar the military has seized power (again). They're promising to hand over power to a legitimate democratically elected head of state. It's unclear what the problem was with this one other than being affiliated with the wrong party.

Edit: although I see martinuzz beat me to the punch in EastAsiapol. Maybe we'll turn this into Afripol yet!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:07:17 pm by Arx »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 03:33:06 pm »

So how about that drought in Madagascar and the ongoing Hausa-Fulani/Yoruba Herder/Farmer conflict worsening due to climate change?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 05:47:56 am »

"Never complain about rain in Africa."

Meanwhile in Ethiopia at least 20000 refugees have disappeared from camps and opposition parties claim 52000 have been killed in the civil war rebellion ethnic conflict they're busy with. The Tigrayan side seems to want to stop, but it's unclear if the majority government actually will, with the president decreasingly relying on advisors and increasingly acting on instinct and his personal rulership philosophy, not something that's ever gone wrong before.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 09:42:47 am »

A month later in Ethiopia:

Ethiopian government: "There are no Eritreans in Tigray."
Eritrean government: "There are no Eritreans in Tigray."
Everyone in Tigray: "Someone please stop these Eritrean soldiers committing war crimes."

I guess the Ethiopian government still wants to grind Tigray's face in the dirt some more.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2021-03-04-u-n-u-s-demand-eritrean-troops-leave-ethiopias-tigray-region/

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 12:35:29 pm »

I really don't understand what Ethiopia is doing, unless this is just punishment against Tigray. I can't imagine they'd let Eritrea do whatever they like in an effort to prevent the renewed outbreak of war, which is the only meaningful alternative I see.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 06:21:01 am »

I really don't understand what Ethiopia is doing, unless this is just punishment against Tigray. I can't imagine they'd let Eritrea do whatever they like in an effort to prevent the renewed outbreak of war, which is the only meaningful alternative I see.
The UN suspects that Ethiopia and Eritrea are only loose allies, and that Ethiopia either doesn't care or is unable to influence what the Eritreans do in Tigray at all
Sounds like local commanders doing just whatever the hell they want

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 08:04:18 am »

There have been gossips about (more) peace between India and Pakistan and many hints by the pakistani government in news too plus there have been no ceasefire violations on the LOC for some time. While that would be a very pleasant thing in these nations' favour and more so for kashmiri people, I wonder if it is possible with how much both countries' people have been indoctrinated with getting whole of kashmir.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:09:53 am by Secretdorf »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 01:49:02 am »

I like this The Guardian youtube video:
How British colonialism increased diabetes in south Asians | It's Complicated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Qv7zZBxq8

I found really informative to learn how bad British rule was:
Quote from: 0:45
During the 89 years of official British colonial rule over the Indian subcontinent, known as the British Raj, there were approximately 25 major famines. Which killed at least 60 million Indians.
It was also cool to learn about epigenetics.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 [2]