Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF American civil war mod: Union edition (Now with working NA Map)  (Read 1706 times)

eggman565

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

READ THIS FIRST: I am still making this. I will make another thread when it gets released, and likely one for when I finish the confederate half of the mod. This mod only supports playing as the union

Download Here (https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15663)

ALSO IMPORTANT: I use a mac, so I can’t really use perfect world, but it is necessary for making the map of this project. As of yet, the only method I have for making the borders is by limiting the tiles that the different nations can inhabit, so I will need help with perfect world to make that happen, with the dream being a mostly taiga Canada, temperate south, a tropical north, and a way to stop other groups from spawning in Mexico, on the medium version of the map. Naturally, I would be happy with anything that works better than my current set up,, however and don’t require nor demand perfection, just assistance.

ON TILESETS: I have no fucking idea how you should even go about doing tile sets since I don’t use them.

plz, report bugs. thx.

On using any of the content in your own mods: feel free just, check if it is made by myself rather than someone else. No need to ask. Credit would be nice, but I'm not going to waste time going after someone for it.

How To Play: This started with an attempt to remove farming. I understand that this may warrant explanation. This mod doesn't just change the setting, it also changes the way that food production and trade works to fit the setting, by adding a new type of wooden tool, the individual material requirements list. These are wooden goods made at a carpentry workshop that are very valuable, and they serve to turn the trade system into something more akin to suppylines. The vast majority of your Americans can't farm as well, so you'll be dependant on individual material requirements list and trading for food, and in theory you should need to break seiges to prevent being starved out by seiges.

Feature list:

5 new civs, the USA, CSA, British, Mexicans, and Native Americans

2 new creatures, Cannons, and the as of yet unimplemented gatling guns.

Changed the music

Altered trade system and food production

Some changes to combat that make ranged more deadly   

I'm not starting from scratch. I will therefore give credit where credit is due

Credits:
Sponge, the dude that made this mod (https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12462), Squamous, for inspiration for the confederate half the mod that will be coming out, and it’s colouring, Shamir, who did the North America map. Dudes a champ.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:28:50 am by eggman565 »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: DF American civil war mod: Union edition (No working NA Map)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:38:23 pm »

PTW

A bunch of years ago I was involved in a ACW mod for Steel Panthers: World at War.  Because the game was WWII based, there were some hurdles, but it turned out pretty great for use by human vs human players (the AI didn't lend itself to civil war tactics).  Unfortunately, I don't think SP:WaW will run on a Mac.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

eggman565

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:55:35 pm »

I hope my mod goes as well as your Steel Panthers mod, although I suspect that I will also not be able to make the AI fight in a way accurate to the period.

eggman565

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:23:23 am »

I have made a map that is largely accurate to the borders of the CSA and USA, with the expectation of the CSA owning most of Mexico.

the maps are in these spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15310

eggman565

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF American civil war mod: Union edition (Now with working NA Map)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:48:04 pm »

I've updated this, it has superior map gen most of the time, with good borders, and a new civ.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15323
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:52:03 pm by eggman565 »