Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 3 - Game over! 4 Exterminators Escaped!  (Read 61450 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 3 - Day 1 Sounds the Alarm
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2020, 02:05:15 pm »

The Monitor
heydude6: TricMagic, webadict
Luckyowl: Luckyowl
TricMagic: 4maskwolf
webadict: Jim Groovester
No Lynch: heydude6

Roseheart is not a valid lynch target.

Day 1 Ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2020, 02:07:59 pm »

Apparently Mind Control works day 1. Go figure.

For webadict, the mind control is why that plan doesn't work.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2020, 02:12:58 pm »

@IcyTea31:
What do you find important about psychics?
Why, finding someone able to falsifiably and repeatably demonstrate psychic abilities would be cause for a scientific revolution!
So nothing to do with your required mind shield?

Jim and Toonyman: did you guys arrive on the pods?
No.

@Webadict:
Why do you think you'll flip as a dopp? Will our game end after three measly deaths?

Look guys, while it's possible we all have the same sk role, I find it extremely doubtful that's the whole truth so either:
1. Most of us have the same role but some of us are lying because they have a different win condition.
2. All of us have the same role but there's a hidden mechanic going on because bastard.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2020, 02:33:57 pm »

Webadict, let me try to ask you an earnest question. Why do you want to pull this plan off during Night 1?
...? I don't. I think we need to start planning now, because I am likely going to die. I am literally trying to win, because I know my chances of living tonight are basically 0, so my only hope is starting a plan before I die.

@IcyTea31:
What do you find important about psychics?
Why, finding someone able to falsifiably and repeatably demonstrate psychic abilities would be cause for a scientific revolution!
So nothing to do with your required mind shield?

No.

@Webadict:
Why do you think you'll flip as a dopp? Will our game end after three measly deaths?

Look guys, while it's possible we all have the same sk role, I find it extremely doubtful that's the whole truth so either:
1. Most of us have the same role but some of us are lying because they have a different win condition.
2. All of us have the same role but there's a hidden mechanic going on because bastard.
I have no assurance that other mechanics exist that could hide my flip. That's why I planned to kill myself Day 1, so that everyone would be assured of 4mask's info. Unfortunately, coming up with a plan at 2AM had some flaws that Meph pointed out before I could use it.

I doubt the game ends after three deaths. The only possibility where the mod isn't lying about Dopps is some weird case of Dopp-Exterminators, which I suppose is possibly, but, like... that's still a FFA with a 3-man team, and I doubt the DEs in that case win if they die, so I don't plan to entertain it as a possibility, especially since we've still got an issue that the No Kill plan doesn't fix.

Thus, the only way I win is by killing everyone. 4mask didn't overthink the info, it confirms what I know, and everyone else should be satisifed that 4mask is at least mostly correct. I just believe it completely because it makes the most sense.

I think anyone that does overthink it is suspicious, because they have more information than the rest of us. Which is why I will be killing people tonight. Your only hope of stopping that is lynching me, but by then, the cycle begins, because I will be dead.

There is no way to avoid killing.

So, we must all die.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2020, 02:36:20 pm »

Possible, but that's an awfully shallow twist for a Meph bastard game.  There's almost certainly more to it than just that.
This is a great point. This is outguessing the mod, but I don't think something that can be mechanically confirmed with a choice possible to make in the first minutes of the game (as some apparently did) can be the only twist. Wanna join the roseheart wagon?

It depends on what said bastardry is. Until I have a clearer view of what the setup is and what tricks meph has up his sleeve for us, I'll just treat this like a regular mafia game.
So you won't go out of your way to try to figure out the bastardry?

What I mean is that I try to scumhunt as normal until it becomes apparent, as in this case, that normal scumhunting may not be the best tactic to apply

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2020, 02:44:28 pm »

I do wonder why you attribute 4mask's info as theirs. Point being the did falseclaim in response to my post.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2020, 02:47:22 pm »

I do wonder why you attribute 4mask's info as theirs. Point being the did falseclaim in response to my post.
At least Jim and webadict got the joke.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2020, 02:59:55 pm »

More to the point, though, at this point I don't see a convincing reason not to simply go for the "everybody dies" ending.  If there are people out there with contradictory wincons to that, then there's nothing I can do about it anyway, since the only way for SK-type Exterminators to have control of their destiny is to work together for a TPK.  If there are other mechanics in play then they better be revealed soon, with the setup as-is it's entirely possible for the game to end by D2 before anyone not in the know figures out what's going on.  People keep saying "don't try and outguess the mods" while trying to do exactly that, deciding that the setup they see in front of them is "too simple" and that there must be a bigger trick behind it without providing any actual evidence for there being a bigger trick.  And, quite frankly, I agree with webadict that anyone insisting there's something bigger going on is sus: while there's almost certainly a lot of Leafsnail-style paranoia in a lot of those claims, it also hints that those people might have knowledge beyond what's available to the SK-type Exterminators.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:33 pm »

More to the point, though, at this point I don't see a convincing reason not to simply go for the "everybody dies" ending.  If there are people out there with contradictory wincons to that, then there's nothing I can do about it anyway, since the only way for SK-type Exterminators to have control of their destiny is to work together for a TPK.  If there are other mechanics in play then they better be revealed soon, with the setup as-is it's entirely possible for the game to end by D2 before anyone not in the know figures out what's going on.  People keep saying "don't try and outguess the mods" while trying to do exactly that, deciding that the setup they see in front of them is "too simple" and that there must be a bigger trick behind it without providing any actual evidence for there being a bigger trick.  And, quite frankly, I agree with webadict that anyone insisting there's something bigger going on is sus: while there's almost certainly a lot of Leafsnail-style paranoia in a lot of those claims, it also hints that those people might have knowledge beyond what's available to the SK-type Exterminators.

I'm inclined to agree, although I would like to see some flips first to see what shakes out.

I disagree with your last sentence only just because the last two bastard paranormal games had a significant twist to them, so I'm just extrapolating from previous data.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2020, 03:32:35 pm »

Right now my scumlist is Heydude and 4mask. No Lynching and allowing Dopps anywhere from 3 to 6 kills? 9 if they have both bots.

It should also be noted it may be possible Dopps don't know who each other are, so.. Lynching is still the best tool

are you purposefully missing the part of the plan where stun bomb is used to stop all nightkills?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2020, 03:43:18 pm »

I'm still confused at why web is killing himself given that he even says that mod death flips aren't going to be reliable.

What do you think he's trying to do then?

It's webadict. who the hell knows? there'll probably be some reveal about what he's doing 10 pages later after we're all dead and he's somehow secured victory.

Negative. Did you?

nah, apparently it was pretty easy to sneak in.

anyway - on 'the plan'. i'm not liking the 'let's just start killing everyone and see what happens' plan. what's wrong with NLing and stun bombing to see if there's any time-sensitive events? i don't buy the 'if everyone dies we all win!' crap either.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2020, 03:47:47 pm »

anyway - on 'the plan'. i'm not liking the 'let's just start killing everyone and see what happens' plan. what's wrong with NLing and stun bombing to see if there's any time-sensitive events? i don't buy the 'if everyone dies we all win!' crap either.
Mephansteras: If a player's win condition is "you win when all other players are dead" would they win if all players were dead, including themselves?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2020, 03:54:49 pm »

on another note: what's the deal with the mind shields? if we are all apparently exterminators using tech only, what is the point of mind shield existing?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »

Mephansteras: If a player's win condition is "you win when all other players are dead" would they win if all players were dead, including themselves?

That win condition does not require the player to be alive themselves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »

on another note: what's the deal with the mind shields? if we are all apparently exterminators using tech only, what is the point of mind shield existing?
That's part of the joke of the game: since we're all exterminators, we got given the useless shield rather than the viable one so we could kill each other more easily.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62