Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would YOU survive in DF?  (Read 1186 times)

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Would YOU survive in DF?
« on: November 13, 2020, 10:22:54 am »

I'm not just talking about playing Adventure Mode or Fortress Mode and survive. No no no. I'm talking about being directly transported into a generated world and surviving in it. Would you be able to survive DF's bestiary and hazards?
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Would YOU survive in DF?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 10:51:09 am »

If I find a shield and a group of people bored enough to bang sticks against a crazy stranger's shield until he's a Legendary Shield User, I might just have a chance at living a decade or two.

And even then, it will very heavily depend on whether I encounter any large groups of undead. Zombies don't care about shields, they just keep attacking until you pass out due to exhaustion. Same with bogeymen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:00:49 am by HmH »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 12:24:49 am »

Maybe. DF world has a lot of possible unfortunate accidents.

I will become necramancer as fast, as I can. And then, retire in elfless Joyous Wilds, build a hillock in caves, but not too deep, teach migrants some secrets, drink valuable booze and write books for thousands of years.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 02:02:45 am »

I'd be a peasant

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 03:02:29 pm »

Since any sane person has at least twice the common sense of a dwarf I think I might have a good chance. I agree with Riaktor, I'd definitely want to become a necromancer.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 06:53:59 pm »

Would I be able to dig and build like a dwarf? Because... gonna need a gate and a hiding-hole, or that bestiary is gonna get me.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 06:18:40 am »

I couldn't live in any fortress among stressed dwarfs, 3 or 4 years maximum in those conditions.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:59:13 am »

Hmm... Since there are no poisonous plants/mushrooms, nor diseases caught from nature, it leaves the hostile lifeforms as only concern. And clean water source should be located too, for cleaning wounds. And soap. Would try to stay near doors, since they're lockable. Preferably a drawbridge + lever, but drawbridges would be only found in player-made fortresses. So, if it's a building destroyer, I'm a goner.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:45:44 pm »

If the economy is still borked I could probably survive bumming it in a human town taking people's food and buying nights at the tavern with plant leaves.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 03:09:48 pm »

Hah, of course not!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!