Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature and aboveground constructions  (Read 801 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temperature and aboveground constructions
« on: November 15, 2020, 05:10:17 am »

If I build an above-ground house for my dwarves, how will the temperature respond in the house? I'm trying to build a small castle for my dwarves in a scorching biome, and I'd like my marksdwarves to be able to use it without melting.

(The temperature upon winter embark is about ten degrees below flesh melting level, so I'll definitely be able to build it; it's operating it in summer that's my main concern)
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature and aboveground constructions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 02:07:15 pm »

I believe any ground that has been exposed to the sun is now "outdoors" for the future, even with a roof. This would mean that the temperature will be outdoors.

An alternative which might work for you is cutaway architecture, where you dig away everything but the houses themselves, making it possible to have an indoors which never saw the light of day. This is also useful to make an above-ground village which will still be cleaned by your dorfs, as they don't clean places that are outdoors.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 04:01:51 pm »

Actually, dorfs can now clean outdoors. That's a fairly recent change.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 05:32:40 pm »

Ah! That explains the cleaning up of the greenhouse massacre... I thought it was farmground related and I just hadn't paid attention.

Still, doesn't help with the temperature issue Paralyzoid is having, unfortunately.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:19:59 pm »

I believe any ground that has been exposed to the sun is now "outdoors" for the future, even with a roof. This would mean that the temperature will be outdoors.

It becomes light and above ground. Tiles are considered inside if even a building is above them. I don't know which is used for temperature.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 10:03:44 am »

Temp is weird. I've had underground farm areas use the outdoors temperatures before. Like, with really cold embarks you often don't want to make taverns in soil layers even if they've never seen the light of day as they'll still be considered cold. Also when temp actually updates is stupid.

That said I've done plenty of scorching embarks and never actually had a problem with the temperature so yeah should be fine. I'd turn off fasttemp in dfhack just to be safe tho.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.