Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is DFhack a trojan  (Read 1685 times)

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is DFhack a trojan
« on: November 16, 2020, 10:56:19 am »

Windows Security and Malwarebytes is telling me that DFhack is a trojan

any truth to this?
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: is DFhack a trojan
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:51:11 am »

If it's complaining about "dfhack-run.exe", it's probably because it's confusing it for some sort of remote-control trojan. If you're worried, you can just delete that file - all it's used for is running DFHack commands from batch files (instead of from the DFHack console).

If it's complaining about anything else, you'll need to provide a lot more details.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:05:38 pm »

If it's complaining about "dfhack-run.exe", it's probably because it's confusing it for some sort of remote-control trojan. If you're worried, you can just delete that file - all it's used for is running DFHack commands from batch files (instead of from the DFHack console).

If it's complaining about anything else, you'll need to provide a lot more details.

i dont have any malware on my system and i reinstalled it many times and it says the same thing but Windows Security and Malwarebytes only say something weeks after installation and i used the github download

i dont understand because i love DFhack but im also paranoid about malware in general

i hope i find the issue
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 12:20:01 pm »

i dont have any malware on my system and i reinstalled it many times and it says the same thing but Windows Security and Malwarebytes only say something weeks after installation and i used the github download

i dont understand because i love DFhack but im also paranoid about malware in general

i hope i find the issue

That does not answer my question - exactly which file is being reported as a virus/trojan?
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »

sorry about that

i didnt look in my panic to remove the DFhack files

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:45:43 pm »

Windows Security and Malwarebytes is telling me that DFhack is a trojan

any truth to this?
No.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 04:46:16 pm »

For what it's worth, I just downloaded the 0.47.04-r3 builds from GitHub and scanned them with Windows Defender on Windows 8.1 (with the latest definitions as of an hour ago, version 1.327.1019.0) and they came up clean.

For good measure, I copied them to my Windows 10 laptop and scanned them again with Windows Defender there (which initially had definitions 1.327.1015.0 from earlier this morning), and they also came up clean (both before and after updating to the latest definitions).

If Windows Defender flagged them on your machine, then one of the following must be true:
1. Your antivirus definitions were out of date and falsely detected DFHack as a virus.
2. You downloaded DFHack from the wrong site and got an infected copy.
3. You downloaded DFHack from the right site, but something on your computer (or on your local network) infected them afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:56:03 pm by Quietust »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »

ok i was just making sure thank you