Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 123066 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2020, 01:35:30 am »

Holy hell, I understand reincarnators now, particularly how to make them. So this is how you crack the early game over your knee, huh? Gods alive custom crafting your starting team changes things wildly, even if you don't go nuts with stuff like starstruck.

Especially if you build the background, too -- there's more than a little difference between a character that starts with maybe two or three traits and an average stat of like five, and one that starts with fifteen traits and an average stat of whatever the hell you feel like having :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2020, 02:37:07 am »

So... wait, if you're trying to breakthrough on a fire-based law, do you want decor that supports or suppresses fire?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2020, 02:58:13 am »

Supports, so far as I've noticed.
Ask not!
Ask!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2020, 03:01:46 am »

Supports fire.
So for a fire cultivator you want everything in feng shui range be nature stuff, except the cushion, which you (if you have access to the building) want to make out of fire.
Note that range 4 is out of feng shui range, but still in spiritwood range, so make stuff that far away out of spirit wood (note that of course fire don't care at all, since everything is gunna be spiritwood anyways).
In general you don't really want any decor in range if you can afford it (aside from the floor) cause you want as much qi gathering stuff stuffed in range as you can.
(E: Even if you don't have enough qi gathering stuff just stick your best bars or whatever on the stands cause they have a bunch of elemental impact).

For his fighting artifact you want it to be supported by his element, so make his artifact out of earth (although apparently it ain't that big a deal either way as long as you don't make it the opposing element).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:59:30 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2020, 10:34:59 am »

So what's the best way to get my Qi up?

So far my best cultivator managed to get a little over 2,000... but almost immediately lost that when he did his second breakthrough (before creating any 2,000-qi level artifacts - Doh!). Everyone else has less than 1,000; which rather severely limits what they're able to do.

I've been picking paths that match my guy's skills as much as possible (usually around 75-80% match), doing breakthroughs with as many +'s as possible, and learning skills that say they improve Qi, but I'm not seeing much, if any, improvement.

edit: It's worth noting that so far my best cultivator is only on the second 'tier', and he's the one that's losing Qi with every other breakthrough, so it's possible that other paths will see significant Qi growth when they finally hit second tier, and I'm just not there yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:39:14 am by AlStar »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2020, 05:13:47 pm »

Generally you want to pick cultivators with high qi sense to promote to inner disciples (40+ is ok, 50+ is good), as that makes them get more qi literally every breakthrough.
As to how you increase it further... Learn basically any manual/skill that says increase qi on it (make sure you transcribe all the major laws into your bookcases when you get them, also keep a eye out for any chance to get more manuals).
Eat the qi increasing medicines/herbs/flux, (you can eat the same one multiple times with diminishing returns based on its medicinal resistance).  Some have some bad effects (wicked flux hurts state of mind.. so don't take much of it if you do take some), or might require you to have a large max qi to not die (if it says it will provide more qi then your max qi, then it will cause spirit/qi injuries, if its a great deal higher it will instant-kill you). Earth Flux is good, and not too hard to acquire,, you can buy it from visiting merchants or at auction sometimes, and can adventure for it. Red ginseng and purple ganoderma aren't that hard to find via exploring/trading either, but have less effect.
Also right before your golden core breakthrough, in addition to getting as many +'s as possible in every category, make sure to take medicines to increase qi gain, as many different types as you can without killing yourself.
Once you get the body-changing techniques by having a primordial spirit cultivator you can mold mortals, you can just spend lifespan to take 'decent' stat cultivators and make them pretty good, which makes the base qi sense quite a bit more important then their base stats (also there are quite a few manuals to raise stats)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:16:30 pm by Rift »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2020, 06:38:55 pm »

Generally you want to pick cultivators with high qi sense to promote to inner disciples (40+ is ok, 50+ is good), as that makes them get more qi literally every breakthrough.
Hmm. 6... 3... 8... 11 (My Sect Leader)... 18... 5. Okay, starting to see what the problem might be.  :P

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2020, 11:34:09 pm »

Hmm. 6... 3... 8... 11 (My Sect Leader)... 18... 5. Okay, starting to see what the problem might be.  :P

I think my last sect leader was 0. It... didn't end well. Managed to get him up to Golden Core though.

This game makes me feel kind of sleazy though; accepted two turtlemen into my sect without thinking too much about it ("Hey, I've got 12 slots.") and... they're slo-o-o-o-o-o-w. And because they're so slow, they always end up in a bad mood because it takes them (literally) all day to walk around to places, so it's night time by the time they get back from wherever they are, and they're hungry, since lunch ended by the time they got to the food. Sooooo... I'm giving some serious thought as to giving one of my semi-kinda-maybe usable guys that Law that turns them into a soul-sucking monster just to kill them off in a useful way since I can't find an option to just banish them.

Edit: Sect->Disciple List, duh.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:09:10 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2020, 12:11:27 am »

I forget what they are, but there's definitely multiple ways to get rid of a disciple. Most benign I'm aware of is to assign them as an extra to an agency (second tab, iirc, add disciple; they'll contribute a bit to the main agent's stats). Think if you check sect structure or somethin' like that, there's a way to just banish?

Then you start getting into less benign ways of removal. Bricking them into an oven/freezer room (bonus points there if it has the right sort of feng shui to generate items), feeding them deadly medicines, etc. Telling it to attack the local demon, using some of the murder magic miracles on them. That's a few off the top of my head, there's probably more, heh.

And yeah, turtle guys are unfortunately a joke. You might be able to get some work done if you stack up +movement talismans, but I haven't played around enough with them to try.

... also probably just don't let yaoguai stay, tbh. The tribulation is monstrous, unavoidable, and capable of eating your puppy (among other sorts of collateral). If you can't bootstrap one to golden core or preferably the tier after before the doomnado comes, you're likely better off if you just don't bother.
Ask not!
Ask!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2020, 03:22:48 am »

And yeah, turtle guys are unfortunately a joke. You might be able to get some work done if you stack up +movement talismans, but I haven't played around enough with them to try.

... also probably just don't let yaoguai stay, tbh. The tribulation is monstrous, unavoidable, and capable of eating your puppy (among other sorts of collateral). If you can't bootstrap one to golden core or preferably the tier after before the doomnado comes, you're likely better off if you just don't bother.
Pretty sure even movement talismans aren't going to save your outer disciple turtles. For reference my turtle had a movespeed of 0.4, while my second slowest dude had a movement speed of 2.8 (in comparison to 5.4 for a fast human). That's right, a random generic human was a literal 700% faster.

So even if you stack 3 75% move speed talismans on the dude they are still going to be half the speed of your slowest human, which doesn't mean they can get 1/2 the work done. No, it means they spend twice the time getting food and doing literally nothing, which means they still do way less then half.
Of course none of that matters (much) once they are a cultivator since they fly everywhere, but even getting them to be an inner takes like an extra month because instead of practicing they spend 8 hours a day moving to and from the kitchen/bedroom instead of training.
Ehh, I would disagree here. Most yaoguai are pretty much golden outer disciples. Even if they got no real skills or stats of note most of them still run like hypersonic jetplanes (aside from turtles, who are trash outers).
Obviously the whole "let them join and tell them you will help them transcend their tribulation but really you just use them for labor and let them die in a few months) is pretty sketchy but other then that...
I do agree that you have to be careful about turning them into inners though, because as you say, if you can't manage it properly they can just eat your whole sect. Of course, note that you can just kick them out the literal day beforehand so it isn't something you have to worry that much about.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2020, 03:34:45 am »

Anyone have any luck with formations? I successfully made a very basic one (just the central pillar surrounded by three nodes), and immediately got my entire group of inner disciples nearly killed off when I tried to fight a demon rabbit. I don't know if it's related to my substandard Qi problems, or if it's because my formation got jumped from a blind corner, but we lasted literally about one second before the entire formation was KO'd all at once.

Thankfully, that didn't kill them outright - they all managed to limp home from the area they'd been exploring, although they collapsed as soon as they got back on the map; and they all had deadly spirit damage caused by the broken formation. If I hadn't had one other inner disciple back at base who was able to teach himself panacea and start the healing process (heal other disciple, then have both heal everyone else), things would have gotten grim.

So far, my most successful battle tactic has been to get my inner disciples to distract whatever I'm fighting with their artifacts and tank damage, while all my bow-armed outer disciples to wail away - fire enough arrows and you quickly whittle away defensive Qi and even start doing major damage.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:36:20 am by AlStar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2020, 08:11:43 pm »

So what's the best way to get my Qi up?

So far my best cultivator managed to get a little over 2,000... but almost immediately lost that when he did his second breakthrough (before creating any 2,000-qi level artifacts - Doh!). Everyone else has less than 1,000; which rather severely limits what they're able to do.

I've been picking paths that match my guy's skills as much as possible (usually around 75-80% match), doing breakthroughs with as many +'s as possible, and learning skills that say they improve Qi, but I'm not seeing much, if any, improvement.

edit: It's worth noting that so far my best cultivator is only on the second 'tier', and he's the one that's losing Qi with every other breakthrough, so it's possible that other paths will see significant Qi growth when they finally hit second tier, and I'm just not there yet.

You probably also picked the Resurrection law.  As it says in its description, it makes you Qi go up and down, rather than the steady increase of all the other laws.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2020, 11:17:43 pm »

I've started sucking the thoughts out of the very minds of my dying enemies - it's great!

All kinds of random things to learn. For instance, I learned an entirely new Law. It's pretty much garbage - it only goes up to the second tier of divinity, and pretty much all the skills only improve things 'subtly' - but it's a new law!

It does have a couple Qi attack skills that don't look entirely horrendous, so I might burn a talentless outer disciple to pick it up to transcribe everything then kick them out of my sect.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2020, 11:54:11 pm »

Most of the random laws you find are pretty garbage, in general I would say 95% of each of them is garbage.

But pretty common for them to not be *entirely* garbage. For instance, they might have an extra max Qi skill, or a set of talisman/pill recipes, or a stat buffing skill that is slight more efficient then normal.
And all those little skills here and there? Over time they add up pretty significantly, especially the ones that give you bonus max qi.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2020, 11:54:35 am »

NGL, this thread is tempting me. It sounds quite deep and deliberately opaque.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43