Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 122625 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 02:58:30 am »

My first map went horribly as I went in blind, and after the other two had die I sent my lizard boi to cut down the divine relic gingko tree, just to see what would happen. I had images of divine punishment or the wrath of some local god, but no, it was just a f*ckton of gingko fruit and wood. It left a gigantic stump though, which I enjoyed greatly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't seem like grass and trees regrow over time, can anyone confirm this? Maybe I just have played long enough.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 03:46:14 am »

Grass and trees do regrow over time (although I wouldn't be expecting to see another divine relic gingko tree, since lorewise they take more than the game's timeframe to grow.)

Smaller trees appear as tiny one-pixel sprouts and then grow to full-sized trees over time, though.  There's also miracles you can use to make them grow faster later on.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:13 am »

So apparently reincarnaters are generated based on their name.

Gave it a run last night.  Anyways, when generating new map/world, are there any more details to the map options?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »

My first map went horribly as I went in blind, and after the other two had die I sent my lizard boi to cut down the divine relic gingko tree, just to see what would happen. I had images of divine punishment or the wrath of some local god, but no, it was just a f*ckton of gingko fruit and wood. It left a gigantic stump though, which I enjoyed greatly.

Yea I also ended up cutting down my giant ginkgos, for a very simple reason : they were in the way of my expansion. They spawned too close to my base, and although I was overjoyed at first to have 2 of them in close proximity of one another, moreso when I started with a fire law, I eventually got annoyed when I discovered that there was no spot covered by both trees (the 5 range is really 4 and diagonals count for 2), and by that point I was already sick of their giant sprites hiding so much terrain from view, so I went : f* it.

Besides, you get the same results with a bunch of spiritwood logs on display stands.

Right now what pisses me off is that I found out that if I breakthrough to golden core, I would get a low grade core due to various factors, yet much of the events seem to require a golden core to take part.

On the bright side, I got a fox spirit pet not long ago, he seems really nice.

Also I am doing experiments to see if I can propagate spirit soil, which I'm convinced is possible since some of my spirit soil receded this winter. I already know that you can use super expensive spirit seeds to make a new tile, or one of the pet fox miracles, but I think it's possible to do it manually, either with elements, qi concentration, fertility, or maybe some plants.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 04:01:50 pm »

So apparently reincarnaters are generated based on their name.

Gave it a run last night.  Anyways, when generating new map/world, are there any more details to the map options?
Totally. If you click the edit button next to "environment" on the top when you start off picking the difficulty settings you can change monsters that start on the map (?) the biome you start in, if you start with any unique features (I picked a giant tree that gives me like a bigass area of spirit soil in return for slowly giving my disciples inner spirit damage, which I can just cure with pills).
Oh, its also been *very* slowly been killing the super monster that starts on the bottom of my map, which is hilarious. Eventually I might not even have to kill it to get its loot and it might just flop over dead on its own.
Still at 80% health after about at 100 days though, so maybe after like 300 days it will fall unconscious?
Of course, I could just kill it dead by that point, probably even if it levels up to the next tier, but its the thought that counts.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »

Right now what pisses me off is that I found out that if I breakthrough to golden core, I would get a low grade core due to various factors, yet much of the events seem to require a golden core to take part.

My general policy is to make a shitty first of something, then use that to make better second and third things.  I haven't fiddled with Golden Core much, but they have powers that you can use to make the next generation better.

Additionally, Golden Core from what I've read pretty much comes down to time of year, so it is perfectly natural to be stuck waiting all year for the ideal window.  You also need the weather manipulating spells, which some lower forms have but many Golden Cores grant.  Hence, create a sucky one to make a good one.

The guide makes a big deal about having high quality on everything, but look at the AI Golden Cores.  They mostly suck.

And in following standard Roguelike/RPGs, the best tactic is to kill the starting friend and take his stuff.  That starting Cultivator that is supposedly Golden Core can be beaten by 3 starting Inner Cultists.  Dunno why his Qi is soo low.  I guess he learned Super Sucky Cultivation Rule that gets him Golden Core without the Qi.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 05:34:10 pm »

Yeah i wouldn't worry -That- much about following the guide and grinding for years just to make your first disciple a amazing golden core... I've managed to get some quality7 and 8 cores to primordial soul without too much difficulty, its just more time consuming. While my quality 2 golden core basically jumped through the golden core phase to primordial soul insanely fast, hes not really much faster at cultivating as a primordial soul anyway. The biggest difference is just the sheer amount of qi they have. Which is admittedly pretty huge, like 8x more, which makes tribulations way easier. Also for the purposes of crafting having a bunch of qi is pretty essential, since the higher tier artifacts require lots of qi to make... but you'll likely be on your 2-3rd primordial soul before you even need them.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2020, 10:56:37 pm »

Palpitations.  Anyone else having outer disciples randomly die overnight?  In the first spring.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2020, 11:30:59 pm »

Palpitations.  Anyone else having outer disciples randomly die overnight?  In the first spring.

I haven't had it, but from what I read on the steam forums, this is caused by ominous feng shui in your bedroom. You can read the basics of feng shui on the help section but the short of it for bedrooms is to have the exit to the south and have some space inside so that it isn't too cramped.

If you don't want to deal with matching elements (fire/wood/etc), I suggest using spirit stone blocks for building, it seems to make everything auspicious (++), which is good enough for me.

btw, for workshops you want the door to face east, and for kitchens, west. Try not to have more than 1 exit to the room, otherwise you'll likely get a massive feng shui malus (leakage).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 01:49:17 pm »

Unrelated: Disciples can overheat and die.  Most can survive the summer, but some of the Yaochin have fur, so they need a talisman to cool them off during the summer.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 03:52:21 pm »

Anyone know a good mat (or element type?) to make Alchemy furnaces (tables?) out of?

The game states that my greystone version is ominous :p

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 04:18:36 pm »

Also I am doing experiments to see if I can propagate spirit soil, which I'm convinced is possible since some of my spirit soil receded this winter. I already know that you can use super expensive spirit seeds to make a new tile, or one of the pet fox miracles, but I think it's possible to do it manually, either with elements, qi concentration, fertility, or maybe some plants.

After extensive testing in the "land of illusion", I concluded that spirit soil does not in fact, propagate naturally. Earlier, when I found that it had "receded during winter", it was actually due to turning nearby tiles into "fertile soil" : I found out that when you change a tile, it can change nearby tiles as well.

On the bright side, in those tests I discovered two ways to artificially generate spirit soil, one through a special building that you probably unlock in late game, and the other is spirit seeds, which I already knew about, but I could confirm that they generate more than 1 tile, instead they generate a big square over 3 years (I did not have the patience to way for the full 3 years to see the final size of the patch, but it should be sizeable).

Anyone know a good mat (or element type?) to make Alchemy furnaces (tables?) out of?

The game states that my greystone version is ominous :p

Spirit stones blocks ! Using money as a building material feels really luxurious, but honestly it's more plentiful that stone and it makes everything auspicious and beautiful. One of the downsides is that you need twice the number of blocks to build with, so your disciples will have to spend more time carving.

Thinking about it, you could probably make your greystone alchemy furnace auspicious, but that would require changing at least the floor to something fire-attuned (which is doable with 1 igneocopper ore). If it's ominous, your room is probably made of wood, which is bad for earth materials.

Edit : since I was at it, I checked in the "land of illusion" (editor) and sure enough, igneocopper floor will do, but you'd need to change the walls too (greystone works). Alternatively you could build outside, and as long as there's nothing wood-attuned nearby, it could be auspicious.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:56:25 pm by Sirian »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 05:34:03 pm »

Thank you for the reply and multiple options!

Really enjoying the game so far, but often feel like I'm wandering around in the dark :D

Next just got to figure out why my first inner disciple is so slow at getting... foundation? (Is it still called foundation once you reach Inner Disciple?)
I'm assuming it's because his stats and the starter law don't mess well at all (-5)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 06:39:24 pm »

Basically you want to get as many pluses on each square of the little box as humanly possible.

Stats is one of the biggest ones yeah. You can see he gets a -5 penalty to his law bonus, which means he probably has something like 50% compatibility. Ideally you want that number much higher to start off. You can improve this a bunch by having him learn a bunch of stuff to boost his base stats in the library, but even then the best option is just to either pick a law he is better at or pick someone else that is better to cultivate.
Similarly, you also want his mood to be high, which requires getting rid of all his negative thoughts (eg. no weapon, no artifact, my clothes are lame, my room is lame, I ate lame food).

Secondly you want him to be cultivating in an area with stuff that benefits his element. Your dude is fire, so you want him to be surrounded by as much high quality wood as possible.

It says qi is at +++++, but I'm pretty sure its actually lying. You want to surround your dude with as much stuff that gathers qi as you can cram within range. For fire element that means surrounding him with as much wood stuff that gathers qi as humanly possible (aka, spirit wood) on stands. This makes a pretty big difference in cultivating speed. Note that range refers to tiles away not counting diagonals and counts the tile it starts on, so 1 tile up 1 tile to the left is 3 tiles away.

For element you want to maximize the amount of wood element stuff within a two tile range. For him again, just stick spirit wood on stands there (because if its on the ground its useless). Also note that you want his cultivating spot to be of the same element he is, and not the feeding element like everything else, so make him a fire element bed.

Cozy seems to be a bit of mistranslation, and actually refers to the quality of the room he's in, so if he is in a good quality room he's gonna cultivate better.

And finally a big recommendation: Look through all the ingame tutorials when you have a big question and thny play it if its appropriate. They aren't perfect, but if you are having basic questions (like this one) there is a good chance they cover it to some degree via tutorial.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:39:04 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 08:11:34 pm »

Cozy seems to be a bit of mistranslation, and actually refers to the quality of the room he's in, so if he is in a good quality room he's gonna cultivate better.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case, from my experience it's related to the quality of the cushion, but only registers once you start cultivating.

For instance, my cozy stat is always at (--) but goes to (++) if I'm cultivating on a fabric cushion, even if I'm sitting outside in the open. I think that you can also unlock a better type of cushion later on, one that can use all sorts of materials, not just fabrics.

---
In other news, I just entered another map for the first time (first you have to camp there and then enter). For some reason I had completely overlooked it before.

I strongly recommend experimenting with it to anyone that hasn't done it yet, it's very useful.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:14:03 pm by Sirian »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43