Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 123063 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2020, 01:06:50 pm »

All this stupendous epic failing was totally worth it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2020, 06:31:54 pm »

I've started sucking the thoughts out of the very minds of my dying enemies - it's great!

All kinds of random things to learn. For instance, I learned an entirely new Law. It's pretty much garbage - it only goes up to the second tier of divinity, and pretty much all the skills only improve things 'subtly' - but it's a new law!

It does have a couple Qi attack skills that don't look entirely horrendous, so I might burn a talentless outer disciple to pick it up to transcribe everything then kick them out of my sect.

Inner Disciples can transcribe laws that they do not have, so you might not have to do that.

Also, turtles suck in that they are slow, can never seem to do anything, and are generally in a bad mood since they can't even get to bed to sleep because they are so slow.  Walking on maps with them as Inner Disciples is pure agony.  They only have one thing going for them:
They're practically indestructible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2020, 07:57:56 pm »

NGL, this thread is tempting me. It sounds quite deep and deliberately opaque.
Like, sorta' on the opaque? It's not so much deliberately opaque as very deliberately using tropes common to a genre that's not super common in english speaking areas, that lend themselves to fairly complicated (or at least complicateable) mechanics. A lot of what's going on with the game make very much obvious sense... if you're familiar with xianxia/martial arts fantasy. If you're not you're probably going to be wondering why your punch chicken just turned into a giant demon and ate your puppy.

E: Speaking of the puppy, this is the very first thing I ever noticed from a pet. It was... somewhat of a surprise.

After rolling with pets for a bit, now, though, it takes a bit more to get a raised eyebrow.
Spoiler: a bit more (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:00:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2020, 12:09:06 am »

The opacity, outside of some UI funkiness, or "Where on earth am I supposed to get flaming copper ore?" kind of stuff is largely cultural, like it's fairly common US-knowledge that you headshot the zombie, use silver on werewolves, and sunlight on vampiresdisputed. Then you run into SCP-953 and what on earth are you supposed to do with
Spoiler: that? (click to show/hide)

Also, I appear to be in the vast majorityminority here, but I actually find ACS a lot easier to work with than Rimworld.

Edit: Wow, that was quite a typo.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:31:46 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2020, 12:22:05 am »

I've never actually played rimworld, but from what I've seen of vids, yeah, ACS generally seems to have a lot of the building/management/etc. stuff better implemented? Like making your buildings and managing your stuff is just pretty painless, and a lot of it gets even more painless when you get access to talismans and junk. Just from a UI et al implementation standpoint, it's largely been pretty solid compared to what I've seen in gaming over the years.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2020, 12:33:13 am »

I've never actually played rimworld, but from what I've seen of vids, yeah, ACS generally seems to have a lot of the building/management/etc. stuff better implemented? Like making your buildings and managing your stuff is just pretty painless, and a lot of it gets even more painless when you get access to talismans and junk. Just from a UI et al implementation standpoint, it's largely been pretty solid compared to what I've seen in gaming over the years.

Just a heads-up for posterity, this was before I fixed my typo. From what I can tell, most people seem to prefer Rimworld over ACS, in terms of how easy it is to muddle past the UI.

And just saw the latest patch notes: Fixed that Eunuch character cannot castrate correctly.

Is there some way to auto un-forbid poop? It's kind of annoying to have to manually scan the map periodically to secure enough of it to manually craft fertile soil patches.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:13:06 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2020, 07:24:02 am »

Is there some way to auto un-forbid poop? It's kind of annoying to have to manually scan the map periodically to secure enough of it to manually craft fertile soil patches.

From my experience, it's best to wait for winter, when poop decays super slow, and when it accumulates enough, you just zoom out, double clic a poop and un-ban a bunch of it. Then when spring comes around, you have your fresh fertile soil ready for new fields.

If poop wasn't banned by default, well, let's just say that demon beasts poop too. And all the other dangerous wildlife, for that matter.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2020, 07:53:08 am »

So I discovered that you will get the game over screen, even if you have an awakened animal remaining (that you could turn into a character, eventually).

Also, possession can be a useful last-ditch save, but it can also kill your sect.  You get 300 rep and evil per cast.  One of those, "Is this guy really worth the negative attention?"  Still, nice to have, since you can't use it on your deathbed if you do not have it.

It also doesn't work once the Heavenly Tribulation has appeared.  Or maybe it does, but you don't have time to get over to the new person.  I'd also swear that the Heavenly tribulation came early.

When you go from a humanoid to an animal, that animal gets whatever possession brain problems you have, but they do not remain once you shapeshift.  Kind of a reset, if you aren't at the comatose level.

Once your guys start falling to the map's demon, they'll keep trying to recover the wounded and get wounded themselves.  Only solution I found was to kick the wounded out of the sect, then cancel the recover wounded order.  Pretty much a total party wipe on that one.  The one survivor wasn't able to hide from the next attack.  I had some red ginsing to boost him to an Inner, but it was right next to the demon that was my previously tribuled bodysnatcher.

Well, the demon is still alive and kicking, so I guess I had some sort of legacy...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2020, 08:26:52 am »

For what it's worth, I've been finding that jumping the demon with a core shaping inner (with artifact, of course) plus the puppy ASAP tends to kill it. Let the puppy attack first to tank and then send the disciple right behind it.

A physical cultivator also can probably take it with just a stage two or three elemental arm if they rush for it and then immediately jump the thing, in my experience. Probably good to nip that particular problem in the bud soonest, yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2020, 11:19:56 am »

When you go from a humanoid to an animal, that animal gets whatever possession brain problems you have, but they do not remain once you shapeshift.  Kind of a reset, if you aren't at the comatose level.
Which posessions work on animals? More specifically, are there any on golden core level? Yin god posession just makes them keel over dead in few seconds. And brain damage from multiple jumps stacks.  :-\

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2020, 12:12:00 pm »

It does have a couple Qi attack skills that don't look entirely horrendous, so I might burn a talentless outer disciple to pick it up to transcribe everything then kick them out of my sect.

Inner Disciples can transcribe laws that they do not have, so you might not have to do that.
This worked perfectly, by the way - no need to train an inner in a cruddy law just to grab a couple of skills you want. It is, however, rather time-intensive even with a very smart disciple doing the transcribing, and it fills your library with a lot of junk.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2020, 07:11:59 pm »

This worked perfectly, by the way - no need to train an inner in a cruddy law just to grab a couple of skills you want. It is, however, rather time-intensive even with a very smart disciple doing the transcribing, and it fills your library with a lot of junk.

Yeah, but just look at all that Inspiration that your disciple accumulated!  It's usually enough for the scribe to learn a new skill immediately.

Which posessions work on animals? More specifically, are there any on golden core level? Yin god posession just makes them keel over dead in few seconds. And brain damage from multiple jumps stacks.  :-\
Yeah, you need to jump into the animal while your brain is still mostly intact.  It should be your second jump max, otherwise I'm not sure if the animal will be able to Awaken.  I theorize that the Panacea Pill may be able to cure it if you can get it before jumping to the point where the character starts as dying. Panacea Pill does nothing.  I know that the rebirth pill works on humanoid possessions, but probably not worth it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2020, 07:17:02 pm »

Yeah, it's opaque to me for the reasons you mentioned. Just sounds like it has characters you can build up and invest in thematically, which always gets my attention. Not knowing the genre or a lot of the principles in the game, seems tempting to get into to try and understand it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:07 pm »

Actually, I'd avoid investing in characters thematically.  It generally gets you worse characters with more reputation than you can handle.  :P

For example, I had my Snake Yaochin facing tribulation jump into the body of an extremely talented recruit.  Now I have 300 rep and an inner disciple that has just started down a completely incompatible path.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2020, 10:34:10 pm »

You definitely can build pretty thematic critters, though. No question there, heh.

... though yeah, some of the sketchier stuff is probably best dealt with... carefully. Most of the possession/necromancy/life drain type stuff is likely easier to avoid than deal with, much of the time, from what I've noticed so far. Trying to build a demonic cultivator and going against the whole will of the heavens thing ain't exactly without its difficulties.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43