ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« on: November 18, 2020, 06:09:58 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:45:23 am by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Just steal wifi from your neighbor like a normal goddamn person.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was it ComCast who was renting out people's routers to strangers for roaming Wifi hotspots or was that another company? The issue is that the ISP is basically leeching your electricity to sell to someone else.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Do you live in visual distance of a mcdonalds? (or other 'free wifi' establishment)? If so...

This

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Repeater-Extends-Coverage-Location/dp/B076KRTXQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+range+extender+removable+antenna&qid=1605760452&sr=8-7

Aim it at the free wifi. Enjoy from home.

May need to randomize a virtual MAC from time to time.

Also, likely illegal to do. Check local restrictions and regulations.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Do you live in visual distance of a mcdonalds? (or other 'free wifi' establishment)? If so...

This

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Repeater-Extends-Coverage-Location/dp/B076KRTXQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+range+extender+removable+antenna&qid=1605760452&sr=8-7

It's not illegal if you don't get caught! :P
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This

That's dope.  Does it work well?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

says up to 3km range...

But you would need CLEAR line of sight with the target.

Now then... The quality probably wont be as good (because broadcast strength will be significantly weaker), but I made a MUCH less expensive setup a number of years back for a friend of mine, who needed a Point-Point wifi solution to get internet in his house next door to his Dad's house. (lives next door.)

I used one of those parabolic shop-lamp metal clamp-on shades, some white epoxy putty, the screw-end from a broken lightbulb, a USB extension cable, and a USB wifi dongle.

I used a flashlight to measure where the focal point for the parabolic reflector shade is, and manufactured it so that the antenna inside the dongle is directly inside that focal point. (this assures proper beam concentration and beam formation for point-point connection-- This is already done with the expensive professional offering.)

The DIY antenna gives a good 300% boost on signal fidelity, and we were able to pan it around and see access points from around his neighborhood. Was pretty cool.

These days, many routers have options to stick such a dongle on via the USB port (especially if they support either OpenWRT or DDWRT) and then bridge the connection.   Using the extender cable and the ghetto-blaster style reflector dish on, you could clip it to an upper story window frame (or if you live in an apartment in a major metro, and live way up high, just out the window and down toward your target...) then feed the cable to the router, and call it a day.

It's gonna be janky as hell though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:57:51 am by wierd »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just steal wifi from your neighbor like a normal goddamn person.

how do i bypass my neighbors wifi password

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

ask him nicely
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 09:38:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:46:44 am by ArchimedesWojak »