Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else not getting minotaurs or the new ghouls?  (Read 1430 times)

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else not getting minotaurs or the new ghouls?
« on: November 10, 2020, 12:14:23 pm »

Something I realized recently is that none of the past almost 100 worlds I've generated have had minotaurs in them. Like, NONE. No labyrinths either. I do mod things a lot, but I've looked through the legends of at least 3 different fresh raw restarts and I think it's unlikely that I'd have managed to accidentally make a whole race incapable of spawning 3 times in a row. Did labyrinths get nuked alongside dungeons and I just didn't notice or is there some very very specific set of circumstances that must arise for them to be created.

On a similar note I don't think I've ever seen those new ghouls we supposedly have either. Am I the only one who doesn't have these in their game anymore (or at all in the case of ghouls I guess)?

Also my bad for accidentally posting this in the wiki subboard at first lol.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else not getting minotaurs or the new ghouls?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:32 am »

I get labyrinths from modded night freaks and also I have worlds with ghoul-infected sites (mostly forest retreats).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 07:27:29 am »

Ghouls are pretty RNG-as they require specific secrets to come to necromancers, so are a roll of the dice each time.

Now that you mention it, though - I haven't had any minotaurs lately either. Should be easy enough to test - only need to gen a world for 1 year, high number of semi-megabeasts and see if any minotaurs populated the place.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 10:21:42 pm »

Ghouls are pretty RNG-as they require specific secrets to come to necromancers, so are a roll of the dice each time.

Now that you mention it, though - I haven't had any minotaurs lately either. Should be easy enough to test - only need to gen a world for 1 year, high number of semi-megabeasts and see if any minotaurs populated the place.
I thought I was out of minotaurs and labyrinths at one point during this release. Turned out I was wrong. They are rare, but they are aroind. Search legends under..."structures" rather than locations? I think. Should get a few per world.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:31:07 am »

In "smaller" world gens, there is about 50% chance for 1 minotaur in a labyrinth. I ran a text search against 20 of the region***-world_sites_and_pops.txt files.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 10:07:52 am »

So they're just really damn rare now I guess? that should probably be fixed as I looked through something like 20/30 different worlds (advanced gen, med 100/150 years, no major changes aside from no "periodic erosion" and insanely high beast spawns (as in 3 digits of semis) for what I was testing) before writing my post and didn't see a single one. Also adding labyrinths to night ghouls make them build them? Cool, didn't actually know that.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »

So they're just really damn rare now I guess? that should probably be fixed as I looked through something like 20/30 different worlds (advanced gen, med 100/150 years, no major changes aside from no "periodic erosion" and insanely high beast spawns (as in 3 digits of semis) for what I was testing) before writing my post and didn't see a single one. Also adding labyrinths to night ghouls make them build them? Cool, didn't actually know that.
Are you looking in the right place? Which list of buildings are you searching in Legends? They're not rare as to never turn up. Only rare as in only a few per world.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 06:39:02 pm »

I'm searching in legends viewer (for sites and creatures) and finding nothing.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with advanced worldgen? I'll ceck again with deafult when i have the time

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »

I'm searching in legends viewer (for sites and creatures) and finding nothing.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with advanced worldgen? I'll ceck again with deafult when i have the time
Well there's a strange thing. I just whipped up a quick adv worldgen medium region in Vanilla DF and Legends Viewer tells me there's two labyrinths (both with a resident minotaur).

Now dammed if I can find it in Legends Mode for some reason.
Having deja vu from last time I lost Labyrinths and reported it only to rediscover them...somewhere.

The minotaurs themselves show up in Legends Mode.

--
Are you using the latest version of Legends Viewer? Just pulled up another quick world (Medium Region) and, again, 2 Labyrinths, 2 minotaurs. 9 minotaurs in the world altogether. That's pretty much what I get every time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:57:39 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 08:48:55 am »

you mean the brand new update? No, I don't believe it was out when I looked through everything. I'll try again in a bit I guess.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:38 am »

you mean the brand new update? No, I don't believe it was out when I looked through everything. I'll try again in a bit I guess.
Ah, no, I haven't updated in months, so you won't need the latest, latest version.