Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What labors make dwarves store items in garbage dumps?  (Read 694 times)

NecromancerGoblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What labors make dwarves store items in garbage dumps?
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:21:21 am »

I am trying to set up a garbage smasher to dispose of corpses from a recent siege, but the dwarves don't seem to be completing all the dumping tasks and instead socializing in the tavern. Most of the dwarves that aren't dumping have some hauling labours turned off, is that the problem?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What labors make dwarves store items in garbage dumps?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:37:28 am »

Garbage disposal is used for dumping (as it's originally intended for that purpose, although I find it far to valuable for that usage most of the time). I believe the in game term is refuse hauling, so if that's turned off it won't trigger. The other common reason for dorfs to hang out in the tavern rather than work is that they're sufficiently behind on their socialization needs, and so won't interrupt that for work.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 12:12:29 pm »

Another reason for invaders corpses not being hauled is when 'o'rders 'r'efuse 'o'utside is off.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 03:36:41 pm »

I can 100% confirm the labor needed is just "refuse hauling".  I normally keep my squads training constantly, with just refuse hauling enabled.  Then when there's trash to dump, I just set them to inactive and they go to it.  Though like PatrickLundell mentioned, they will prioritize other needs over refuse hauling jobs.  With a 10 dwarf squad, usually at least 2 of them will immediately take dump item jobs while the rest eat, drink, meditate, etc.