Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to turn an adventure mode companion into an intelligent undead? (Answered)  (Read 2388 times)

SomeGuy3

• Bay Watcher
  • Licking dwarf meat is the way to escape starvation
    • View Profile

So, i started a new adventure, i made a new character to accompany my other necromancer character, and i want her to be an intelligent undead, but i can't kill her directly or else she'll be hostile and i won't be able to control her, if i drown her i cannot go underwater or else i'll drown too.

EDIT: I don't want to resort to a fight, because she will get crippled and i want her to be in the best conditions possible
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:15:56 pm by SomeGuy3 »
What's the deal with keas? They're cute little birds in real life, but in the game they're just dumb Ks that aren't useful at all!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: How to turn an adventure mode companion into an intelligent undead?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:11:21 pm »

You don't need to go underwater. If you're at the river's edge, you should be able to see down by (l)ooking and pressing >. If you can see down one tile, take control of your other adventurer and have her drown in the river. Then go back to your Necromancer adventurer, use the intelligent undead option (using > to go down in view to where her corpse is) and (Tab) back to the newly-resurrected companion. Equip her with the gear she dropped on death, and you're done.

That said, check the temperature before you do any of this! I'm not sure if it's due to being encased in ice or due to being rezzed once, but an IU that gets frozen doesn't seem able to be revived again, and it wouldn't do for your newly-rezzed companion to be permakilled due to being unable to get out of the river in time.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Mercury1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

How do you take control of your companions?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you call upon the night?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

How do you take control of your companions?
Press 'c' on your keyboard. That'll bring up a menu showing your current companions. Press Tab, and you should be given the option of which character to control. Press the key shown next to their name, and you should be in control of them.

Alternatively, just press the Tab key until you take control of the companion you're looking for. It's quicker, but not as precise.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note that only created adventurers can be controled - NPCs that you've convinced to join you can not be.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How to burn an adventurer?

IIRC, I accomplished the feat with my very first adventurer (way back in the last version to have circus tents).  I basically found a temple with a pit a jump down three z-levels...

... into a pool of lava!

Anyways, my best advice for you, if you want to self-immolate, is to just start a campfire and then just walk into it.

Hope that helps!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyways, my best advice for you, if you want to self-immolate, is to just start a campfire and then just walk into it.

Hope that helps!
Fire on tiles doesn't do anything in adventure mode.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does plenty. Items dropped on a campfire will be destroyed. A campfire next to an ice wall will melt the wall, creating water which will then spread out, put out the fire, and refreeze. Fat on a tile with fire will melt (becoming drinkable). Mobs (except maybe flyers) will not path through fire and will prioritize moving off fire.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does plenty. Items dropped on a campfire will be destroyed. A campfire next to an ice wall will melt the wall, creating water which will then spread out, put out the fire, and refreeze. Fat on a tile with fire will melt (becoming drinkable). Mobs (except maybe flyers) will not path through fire and will prioritize moving off fire.
Okay but it doesn't burn people.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now