Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to complete temple petition?  (Read 8344 times)

Konstantinos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to complete temple petition?
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:42:51 pm »

So I had a petition for a temple, but I didn't realise that once you accepted you couldn't get back to the petitions screen. I don't remember the name of the faction or the god associated with it, so I don't know who to dedicate it to. I looked through my dwarves and found heaps that worshipped the same god, and figured that must be it, but nothing has happened after dedicating it to that god. They did ask for a priest appointed by me, but there is nothing on the nobles screen that allows me to do it.

So is there any way I can work out who petitioned me and give them the priest?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: How to complete temple petition?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:28:17 pm »

Last time I forgot which Religion it was, I just made temples until I found the right one- they can still exist even if you remove the meeting zone you used to make it. You can view your locations- temples, libraries, taverns, and guildhalls with "l". The goal will be visible once you find the right religion and this is also where you designate a priest from among the religions adherents. Might be a good plan to make a temple for each religion, and to each deity directly as well, so you can just expand on the right one- might be able to reach the goal just by putting in some nice furniture.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:34:56 pm »

Create a meeting zone and choose “l” to set a location.  Choose the option to create a new location and then choose the option for a new temple.  You will then see a list of all of the deities (and non-deities) worshipped in your fortress along with the number of worshippers of each.  Ignore these.  In the same list you should also find entries for every religion represented in your fortress and the number of members that they have.  The one you want is probably the religion with the highest number of worshippers that you haven’t already made a temple for.  Select that religion from the list.

Afterwords, to appoint the priest, from the game’s main menu, select “l” for the locations menu, select the entry for the temple and there should be an option to appoint a priest which will bring up a list of the religions members for you to choose from.  Also, don’t forget to use the “r” key to set the restrictions appropriately, and remember that you still need to furnish  the room (smoothing, engraving, statues if you’re looking for FUN, etc) so that it has a certain minimum value before it counts as a temple for the purpose of satisfying the agreement.  Actually, IIRC, I believe the game won’t let you choose a priest until the temple “qualifies” as an actual temple.  Also, IIRC, I think the list of of deities and religions might also say “Agreed to build a temple” for each religion that you agreed to build a temple for.

Hope that helps!

Edit:

Also note that, in the list of deities and religions, the entries for religions are colored differently from the entries for deities and also list the deity that the religion worships.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:37:28 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:26:58 am »

Your temple just needs to be expensive enough to be worthwhile enough. The standard, I believe, is 2000 suns. My usual method is to make a small room off the temple proper, dedicated to the same [l]ocation, as a 'treasure room'. Pedestals, a chest, perhaps an expensive musical {I}nstrument installed, or a display cabinet if my clear glass industry took off. Then when someone makes yet another artifact wooden earring or some such junk, it gets put on the pedestal (or in the display cabinet) in the treasure room, and there you have it: instant expensive temple complex.

Once the temple is expensive enough, you should be able to designate a priest in the [l]ocation directory.

As an aside, I often keep a scratch pad next to my game of DF. On it I note what the dorf and Human trading emmissaries have asked for, and who wants a guildhall, and who wants a temple, what the names of one or two dorfs I like might be... stuff like that.

(edited from an error my tired self made)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:42:04 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:29:51 am »

On it I note what the dorf and Human trading emmissaries have asked for,

You can access this from the “c” (civilizations) screen.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:44:46 pm »

On it I note what the dorf and Human trading emmissaries have asked for,
You can access this from the “c” (civilizations) screen.

Cool, they finally got that working? I never bothered to check. I'll go have a look for it. Previously when I hit {c} I haven't found much of interest.
I'm just happy humans now ask for stuff, that's pretty recent.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!