Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannons  (Read 539 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Cannons
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:02:08 am »

Now, since the game is supposed to stay in "medieval stasis", we will not get modern guns or anything (unless the modding engine is expanded as planned and someone mods that in but it's outside the scope of this thread). However cannons were present since the 12th century in China and the 14th in Europe and so I assume they would be OK to add...

Cannons
In order to make a cannon you must make the barrel (5+ metal bars in a forge) and the wheels (either wood or metal). The stronger the material used for the barrel, the less likely it is to explode while firing (this also depends on the quality). That artifact gold cannon would just be a bomb... As for the wheels, their material makes the wheels less likely to be destroyed while firing (rendering the cannon unusable until the wheels are repaired). You should also make the cannonballs themselves-- you could use a forge to cast them out of iron or fill them with gunpowder (or magical stuff if the procedural generation allows things like that). I feel like when alchemy is added as part of the magic arc, alchemists would be the most fitting job to make gunpowder. You would also have to use gunpowder to fill the cannon itself to propel the cannonball. The cannonballs would act like catapult rocks but on a much straighter arc.

If a solid cannonball hits a creature then it deals a lot of blunt damage with an extremely high velocity, and it could pierce said creature like a ballista bolt. Then the cannonball could be recoverable with a chance depending on the material. An exploding cannonball, however, would deal less immeiate blunt damage but instead explodes, setting the creature on fire, dealing a lot of blunt and burn damage to all parts of their body, and knocking them back like cave-in dust. The cannonball is not recoverable.

If the cannon itself explodes due to a poor-quality barrel, it still shoots the cannonball but then acts like an exploding cannonball explosion, probably killing the operator.

Maybe the cannonballs could also break walls when that's made possible? And when siege engines are actually used by sieges they could be brought to be used against fortresses who decided to simply bunker up.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:57:45 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannons
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »

I remember Toady told he will not include gunpowder but I agree with your post. It sure would cause hawok with fortress.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."