Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding extremely hot climates  (Read 802 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding extremely hot climates
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:31:26 am »

I've just dropped my dwarves off on a cliff in a swamp that's supposed to be "scorching". I was hoping for dorf-melting temperatures to base a goblin defense around, but dfhack's "probe" tells me that the temperature is a mere 10067 U (while the wiki says that 10078 is required for death by heat).

How common are these 10078+ embarks?

Also, it's currently the first month; do temperatures vary over different seasons, and if so, how much?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Finding extremely hot climates
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 05:36:45 am »

It might hit the fat-boiling point in summer. It is pretty uncommon on tiny worlds, like I play, but if you have a medium or larger map, the desert regions should get there consistantly, as I understand it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:10 am »

If your world has poles temperature varies over the time of year. However, the model is essentially linear between the poles and the closest mid latitude, and between the mid latitudes and the equator. This means there is zero temperature variation on the poles and on the equator, with the maximum variation at the mid latitudes.
A PSV world with very high mid latitude temperatures thus have the largest probability of reaching up to lethal temperatures during parts of the year (a PSV world without poles can have lethal temperatures throughout the year).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:46:03 am »

What if find extremely cold climate? So even booze shall freeze. Then stokpile it outdoors. Retire fort, play some time, unretire fort back, put frozen booze into barrels. When barrels be moved into warm subterranean stockpile, molten booze be drink or liquid_misc?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:26:07 am »

Thawed booze is still booze.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 05:47:46 pm »

What if find extremely cold climate? So even booze shall freeze. Then stokpile it outdoors. Retire fort, play some time, unretire fort back, put frozen booze into barrels.

Fascinating!

...how do you put frozen goods into barrels? Teach me this secret!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!