Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Job offer dilemma  (Read 4759 times)

Ostathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Job offer dilemma
« on: November 23, 2020, 04:21:42 am »

So I got a job offer from my old employer, a small aerospace repair shop.  They needed more help and as I technically still work for them, they offered the position to me.

Backstory: I was employed at the small aerospace company for more than a year.  It was only part-time, with (very) low hours.  Three months ago, I got a job at a large manufacturing company.  I never quit the aerospace job, just worked fewer hours.

Code: [Select]
Job large manufacturer small aerospace
Hours 40 at least 20
$ per hour 18.70 22
other benefits none Super-flexible hours.  Tiny company.

The large manufacturing job provides a steady 40 hours per week.  The small aerospace job is less certain.  The job offer lets me do more types of work than before, and guarantees a minimum of 20 hours per week, but how much it will really be is anyone's guess.  If they get flooded with orders, it could be over 40 hours per week. 

My annual expenses are around $22K.  In the worst-case scenario at the aerospace job (20 hours/week), I will almost break-even.

The biggest upside of the aerospace job is I might be able to get some experience working as an engineer.  Since I don't have a bachelor's degree, this is a big deal.

I'm torn between keeping the safe job, or taking the exciting but risky job.  :-\

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Job offer dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:00:50 am »

I'd take the aerospace one if the career prospects are better...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:01 am »

How flexible are your expenses? If you can shore up the difference a bit along side having more free time and a more exciting job, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

I spent two years working only 3-4 days a week and boy, that did a ton of great stuff for my mood and mentality. Had time for hobbies, relaxing and had higher energy when at work.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:55:36 am »

I've just once had a comparable choice to make, and I suppose the equivalent best choice, with full hindsight, was the smaller concern. I've also (at different times) worked in a "small 'familial' office" and a global multi-site mega-company and there are swings and roundabouts for each.

I personally much prefer a regular salaried position (as do people who might need to care about your income for various reasons), at least at the time, but I also prefer having a closer-knit team than (amongst others) Bob in Santa Cruz, Heike in Tel Aviv and Su in Sydney[1]. That's just my psychology, however. I could take more risks and I could be better at longer-distance networking. Which is where my experience might not relate straight onto your scenario.

I could say 'follow your heart', but thst's notably fallible so at least give your head a chance to play with it too!

[1] Not their real names. Or locations, come to think of it. ;)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 01:53:50 pm »

The larger company is less likely to re-open the doors for you unless you have strong ties there, so maybe the best choice is to talk more with the smaller company to flush out possible options and get more info.

If they need more help because of a single significant contract, they might need to fire someone later on, especially if there are terms and conditions associated with their new contracts and the new business might be lost after a 3-month trial period. They are offering a minimum of 20 hours, but maybe they are unsure about that also.

They are recontacting you, so they had a non-negative experience with you. So, maybe you can work a 10 hour Saturday shift and fill their need. There are a lot of "if"s in this, but this is how a lot of seasonal work-demand gets handled, by short-term rehiring of known workers to work off-hours.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 12:38:18 am »

I guess the question is, do you really think the experience working there justifies a potentially unstable future? If it fits in to your plan then it seems like a worthy opportunity cost to make. The other one sounds steady but likely not to lead anywhere except to maybe more manufacturing.

I dunno. I think it comes down to what your actual goals are. Like, if you're actually going to go after an aerospace career, then it's worthwhile experience and it's a stepping stone to that goal and it's a no-brainer because you work in the industry you want to be part of. But if you're not actually going down that road, then you're really taking a financial penalty to do something you enjoy. And the 'might be useful' thing is what you use to balance the equation against the obvious practical reality of it. Personally, 20 hours/week minimum for something that *might* be useful is a hard sell against full employment to me. Sounds like you enjoy aerospace work but if you're not planning on going after it professionally, it seems like an unfortunate trade of the work you enjoy vs. the work that allow you to be self-sufficient/able to be comfortable/build a financial base.

For me, I took a position at a small software company almost 10 years ago, which is still pretty much a small software company. The workload is immense sometimes and people have often said I could probably sell my skills here at many other places for better money and perhaps a less uncertain and stressful job. I'm kinda in the opposite position of leave the safe thing for the new and unknown for perhaps better pay.

Think about it in terms of where you want to be, how you want to end up and maybe let that guide your thinking. Think less about the immediate question of the jobs and more about what they'll make possible for you down the line.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:38:54 am »

I'd go for the aerospace job.  Engineering experience will look good on your future resume, plus you get 20 hours more time per week to freely spend on whatever you want.  If needs be you can use some of those hours to do some odd-jobs every now and then to break a little more than even.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 06:02:05 pm »

I've heard most people regret not taking a risk like this.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 06:31:13 pm »

I've heard most people regret not taking a risk like this.
I agree. THere are risks and there are risks (as in, not every single risky thing is worth taking). But if the offer turns out to be a dud you can always bail out. I think its a fairly calculated risk

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Сontrast-spam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:02 am »

I think it's worth trying

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:36:57 pm »

They say: Il vaut mieux avoir des remords que des regrets.

If they raise the hours you'll have more money, if it's not a fulltime job there is plenty of time for sidehustling if money is really the issue... Unless you're like extremely cozy where you are, or are like a stickler for routine it seems like a no-brainer. IDK if it's in the US where they basically want to bankrupt everybody it might be worth reconsidering but otherwise I don't see why.
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:15:01 pm »

They say: Il vaut mieux avoir des remords que des regrets.

If they raise the hours you'll have more money, if it's not a fulltime job there is plenty of time for sidehustling if money is really the issue... Unless you're like extremely cozy where you are, or are like a stickler for routine it seems like a no-brainer. IDK if it's in the US where they basically want to bankrupt everybody it might be worth reconsidering but otherwise I don't see why.
Tu es une bel pomme de terre ma cheri ami

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 01:28:35 pm »

Je suis desolé de vous quitter, mais je dois acheter un chapeau.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 01:37:24 pm »

Je ne a pas un chapeau, mais j'ai une parapluie bleue et une grosse jupe. Voulez vous ça?