Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Codenames  (Read 2767 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Codenames
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:03:10 am »

Hello, operatives. Our field agents have been compromised and require extraction, along with the valuable data they've recovered. You will have to work together with your spymaster to extract all of our field agents before the other team extracts theirs. Beware, though; we've heard word there is an assassin on the loose, willing and able to wipe out our entire team if we reveal ourselves.

This is Codenames, everybody's favourite team-based espionage-flavoured wordy talky red vs. blue board game with cards what have words on them. There will be two teams, Red and Blue, each of whom must elect a Spymaster from among their ranks; the rest of the team will be referred to as Operatives. I will act as an impartial facilitator/game master. The field of play is a 5x5 grid of cards, each displaying one word; these cards may represent Red agents, Blue agents, innocent bystanders, or the Assassin. Only the two Spymasters know who is under each card before it is tapped by the Agents. Each round, the Spymaster of the team whose turn it is will have two days to communicate with their Operatives a one-word hint accompanied by a number (e.g. Pheasant Three). They may not otherwise interact with the Operatives in any way. The Operatives must then use this hint to determine which cards in the field are their own agents; the word will relate in some way to the words on the card in the field, while the number tells you how many cards are being related to with that word. The Operatives have two days to debate and decide on each card to investigate, which they may do up to as many times as the Spymaster's given number plus one, unless an enemy spy or innocent bystander is selected, in which case play passes to the other team, or the Assassin is selected, in which case that team immediately loses the game. Operatives may also choose to end their turn before all of their guesses have been used; either way, lock in your votes with bold. Once a team's turn is over, the other team repeats the process, until all agents have been extracted for one team (winning the game for them) or the Assassin has been revealed (winning the game for the other team). The team that goes first will have nine agents in the field, while the team that goes second will have eight agents to find. There is only ever one Assassin, meaning there will also be seven innocent bystanders to avoid.

Hopefully that was clear enough; let me know if there's anything I can clarify. Teams will be assigned based on the order in which people join, and once we have about three or four people per team I'll let each team elect a Spymaster.

Blue team:
Naturegirl1999
Shadowclaw777

Red team:
Luckyowl
KittyTac
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:00:53 pm by Remalle »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Codenames
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:23 am »

Do we type In, do we mention the team we’re joining?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:34:53 am »

Do we type In, do we mention the team we’re joining?
No, it's just based on the order you join in.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:39:55 am »

I sent you a pm saying I’d join, you can put me in either team if we’re not allowed to choose

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 11:19:32 am »

I'm in.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 01:25:55 am »

Fine, I shall join

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 01:30:57 am »

In.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 01:01:24 pm »

The game can technically be played with just two people on each team, so if there's not much more interest in the next few days I'll go ahead and send out the word list.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 10:09:36 am »

PTW I suppose.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 11:52:23 pm »

Alright. Red and Blue teams, pick a spymaster each! Once you do, I'll PM the spymasters the intel they need, and we'll have, let's see... [1] Red team start (you'll have 9 agents to extract, versus 8 for Blue team).

Here's our word list:

Apparatus
Particle
Cutting
Knee
Fat
Capture
Continental
Makeup
Field
Watch
Feeling
Goat
Topple
Team
Stereotype
Error
Climb
Carry
Pattern
Witch
Slippery
Myth
Man
Cower
Couple

Red Team: 9 agents remaining
Blue Team: 8 agents remaining
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:39:39 am by Remalle »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:53 pm »

Just a reminder to both teams that we need a spymaster from both before we can actually start!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:36:05 pm »

Is this done via PMs or in thread?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 08:10:25 pm »

The identity of the spymaster is publicly known, so it can be in thread, but via PMs is fine too if you'd rather have your reasons be private. Once they've been chosen the spymasters' intel will be sent via PM, though.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:34 pm »

Alright then. I vouch KittyTac to be the Spymaster

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:08 pm »

I don’t remember who’s on my team, can Remalie please PM the team members a message of who’s on their team?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4