Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101181 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2020, 10:44:53 pm »

Toaster and notquitethere: sup bros also what's your opinion on the length of Day 1s and whether long Day 1s are actually productive or not?

Because we're in for a long Day 1.

I hate everyone here.

Same to you, pal!

4maskwolf, customarily random voting starts with question, to which the other player is expected to react, in order to acquire a read. For example: what color is my tie.

Why are you being dogmatic about the RVS when we could not be dogmatic about it instead?

Also hey been a while sup how's it going friendo

1. Would anyone like some french fries to snack on? Except you dolores, you untargetable weiner. No fries for you.

No.

@Jim Groovester:
Where's Sigma? Do you think you'll survive Day 1 and Night 1? Which one is more likely and why?

He's enjoying his six or seven or eight year vacation ever since M. Bison took over being my avatar. Will he be back one day? Maybe. In the meantime M. Bison serves capably as a 90s Capcom villain with a dour, intimidating presence.

I think the odds of me surviving Day 1 are pretty high. Night 1, I'm less certain about. It depends on whether I'm the protagonist of this game or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone: Why am I self-voting?

You tell me, nerd.

I mean I know it's a BYOR but I'm reading through the thread now and it turns out I actually don't have much patience for games. IcyTea31.

I've always this entire time thought that jim was Grovester, like a bush or something.

I have always been a funky dude.

Jim Groovester: (especially having just come from an actual bastard mod) do you think the spectator/comment systems are going to be important, based on what you've seen so far?

I think the actual bastard game I just played will probably end up making more sense than this game.

The comments are probably going to have some effect but who can say what at this point in the game with literally only the opening post of the game to go off of. I guess we'll find out, won't we?

Are you planning to leave a comment?

Toaster&Jim: thoughts on the lack of claims and discussions about people's mechanical options so far in the thread?

Maybe the meta has changed since I last regularly played but I imagine not having a lot of role claims out the gate is still pretty typical.

Also, just because I'm technically online on B12 doesn't mean I'm following the game or actively posting
No, you actively posting in the game in (direct, quoted) response to things happening in the game means you're following the game and actively (lurking).
You're really just gonna say that you'll be intentionally inactive, but you're also gonna take the time to go out of your way to go into the thread to say that? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Mon Dieu, you really like leaping at people for activity even with less than two hours of the game having passed by.

If you take off my shackles though I'm just going to fuck off into the winners lounge at the earliest opportunity rather than help anyone else, though.

You seem fun and like a nice person to get along with and cooperate with.

I can't wait to spend most of my time this game reading your posts.

Merry 1:30am on Christmas day, everyone! I would sincerely like to know how everyone's Christmas is/was this year.

Merry Christmas!

It has been good. Lots of time spent with family. I had Zoom Christmas with relatives. That was awful. The in-person visits have been much better.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2020, 11:29:39 pm »

Mamabo said No Spoilers Fallacy, so no, doesn't seem our roles will be revealed to the end.

Also, happy Hour-thirty till midnight. Sleep well, I guess? And don't daykill me while I'm asleep, it's rude.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2020, 11:35:04 pm »

I may be rusty, but don't cut me any slack.  I'll get back in the groove quickly.  Also, anyone:  I used to be able to hit ctrl-b to bold (as in auto insert the tags), and now it won't.  Is that a browser thing or a forum setting somewhere I'm missing?

ToonyMan:
@Toaster:
Is ignoring the lynch candidate during the day a scum tell?

Hmm.   Day 1 if the player is scumhunting on their own and actually doing work, I wouldn't be terribly bothered.  If the lynch candidate is L-1, the player is voting someone else, and still not addressing the lynch candidate, that's odder.

The later in the game, the scummier it is.

IcyTea:
Going to sleep soon, but in the meantime:

IcyTea31

Rolefishing, I'd wager.

Dolores:
I don't really believe in pressure personally, but whether or not 4mask does they probably wouldn't believe in the reality of that vote as pressure.

Interesting.  What do you believe in?  How do you get information out of someone recalcitrant, if not pressure?

I'm not really hunting for scum by finding groups of players or anything and don't really consider the alignment of one player to have that much relevance to the alignment of others (outside of mechanical relevance).

Really?  You don't think it's possible for a scum player to accidentally out their buddy or reveal a non-mafia through excessive force?  I have pegged a townie before by seeing a mafioso tunnel down said townie with silly arguments.  You don't ever look for that?

@Caz:
I'm already confused by my role ;_;
I think you're playing dumb. Why act incompetent unless you're anti-town?
I disagree, I think Caz is just anti-town on a meta level right now. Their responses are so guilelessly useless it doesn't seem scummy at all.
ToonyMan: do you think Caz is scummy or just not-towny?

This is low effort, and farming the backing of your opinion out to Toony.

Leafsnail: I've got it on good authority (my own) that there are wincons in this game besides basic factional ones. How important do you think semi-bastard strats like converting everyone to the same cult and having a huge group/all players win together are likely to be in the game?

Are you claiming a non-town wincon?  Never mind, you answer this.  It's an odd thing to claim early in general, but it's clear you meant to get it out in the open right up front.  I'll just keep an eye on you regarding it.

Toaster&Jim: thoughts on the lack of claims and discussions about people's mechanical options so far in the thread?

I'd wager people are still trying to figure out their own roles and place in the world before trying to get others.  Also, it smacks of rolefishing which is generally frowned upon.

Fallacy:
Vector:
1: What do you think of IcyTea31's self-voting?
20: This question intentionally left blank. (I was considering asking you 100 questions, but this seems more reasonable)

I don't like this.  It seems... I don't know?  It's not tunneling, sure, but it seems like... stalling, yeah, it's stalling.  You're poking one person with a bunch of junk with the value of one RVS question, meaning you did exactly one thing in a "long" post.

What's the value here?

More seriously, I'm going to get more information out of grilling a single player intensely than grilling many players lightly.

Not with those questions.

NJW2000 for no reason whatsoever.

I thought the reason was to act suspicious.  I don't really believe that you have no vote, considering you're listed in the D1 opener as not voting (as opposed to being absent.)

Why are you lying about your ability to vote?

NJW:
Everyone: What's going on with "Leave Comments"? How on earth do you think that works? I'm pretty sure I totally understand it, I just want to check everyone else does. Maybe 4mask doesn't get it. I feel like he doesn't get it, maybe someone should write a really clear explanation ~
(Srsly though, is it that we all can comment on another player/role/alignment and can somehow modify them? That feels really weird - like we all have the ability to make a change, in some unspecified way, say to town's wincon through some comment? It seems completely insane.)

Basically what Fallacy said, I'd assume.  It could just be some weird trap, as well.

TricMagic:
Just as well day one won't accomplish much

Sure it can.  Why so little faith?

That said, I find your post:scumhunting ratio to be poor.  Why is this?  You've had the time to pop out several low value posts, but not to make even one insightful question or observation?

Leafsnail:
Merry 1:30am on Christmas day, everyone! I would sincerely like to know how everyone's Christmas is/was this year.

Good so far.  My kids spent the night last night and they got their stuff this morning, and they were quite delighted.  I saw both my parents (outside only, mask on whole time, limited time) for the first time in months.  I'm glad I could get most of everything delivered, because I'm pretty done with stores.

What's your biggest concern for likely high shenaniganery?

Jim G:
Toaster and notquitethere: sup bros also what's your opinion on the length of Day 1s and whether long Day 1s are actually productive or not?

Because we're in for a long Day 1.

The drive away from extensions happened sometime after I left.  I agree with its pros, at least, because I have seen several useless extensions.  Day 1 can totally be productive, and I feel the productivity:length ratio is irrelevant.  You can have short useless days and long great ones as well as the reverse.

Do you think Bastanormal 3 provided you enough game to stop being such a newbie?

LuckyOwl:  Did you kill and eat IronyOwl?  I keep getting confused.

If you killed and ate a player N1 and could blindly swap into their alignment, would you?

Heydude6:  I don't think I've played a game with you, but it's been a while and I'm old and stuff.   If there was a mislynch that you voted with D1, how would you reevaluate your picks D2?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:50 pm »

Mamabo said No Spoilers Fallacy, so no, doesn't seem our roles will be revealed to the end.
That was only for Mamobo's role. You may rest easily knowing that Mamobo's role is only for flavor, and not mechanics.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2020, 11:42:21 pm »

Also I'm gonna go to bed. I'll give you a vote count tomorrow and all that. Until then, sleep.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2020, 11:50:50 pm »

I hate everyone here.

Juicebox, let's make it a nice two for two shall we?

4maskwolf
You really want me to take you out two games in a row? Sure I can make that happen. I'll have to lynch you this time, though.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2020, 11:52:22 pm »

Toaster:
Fallacy:
Vector:
1: What do you think of IcyTea31's self-voting?
20: This question intentionally left blank. (I was considering asking you 100 questions, but this seems more reasonable)

[1] I don't like this.  It seems... I don't know?  It's not tunneling, sure, but it seems like... stalling, yeah, it's stalling.  You're poking one person with a bunch of junk with the value of one RVS question, meaning you did exactly one thing in a "long" post.

What's the value here?

More seriously, I'm going to get more information out of grilling a single player intensely than grilling many players lightly.

Not with those questions.

NJW2000 for no reason whatsoever.

[2] I thought the reason was to act suspicious.  I don't really believe that you have no vote, considering you're listed in the D1 opener as not voting (as opposed to being absent.)

Why are you lying about your ability to vote?

[2]: Uh, to clarify, I'm saying my vote has no meaning behind it, not that it doesn't count. Until the game progresses my vote on TricMagic has about as much meaning as a vote on Chuck Norris, but it would still count towards a hammer if everyone bandwagoned him or whatever.

[1]: I'm basically trying to engage one player the most for the moment and engage with other players secondarily. Though I'm still trying to figure out what a good question is. Though I think my next one is a decent one.

Vector:
Is your placement of your vote on 4maskwolf any more or less valid than placing your vote on IcyTea?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2020, 11:56:17 pm »

IcyTea31

That's a good question. I have three theories:

1. Your self-vote has something to do with one of your abilities
2. You want to see how we react to your self vote to hopefully gain information
3. You just want to add to the shenanigans

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 25, 2020, 12:03:09 am »

Fallacy:
[2]: Uh, to clarify, I'm saying my vote has no meaning behind it, not that it doesn't count. Until the game progresses my vote on TricMagic has about as much meaning as a vote on Chuck Norris, but it would still count towards a hammer if everyone bandwagoned him or whatever.

Hmph.  I don't know how much I believe you, but I don't see the value of pushing that particular point at the moment.

[1]: I'm basically trying to engage one player the most for the moment and engage with other players secondarily. Though I'm still trying to figure out what a good question is. Though I think my next one is a decent one.

Vector:
Is your placement of your vote on 4maskwolf any more or less valid than placing your vote on IcyTea?

Depends on what you do with it.  We'll see, won't we?

Juicebox:

IcyTea31

I also don't believe I've played with you.  How would you self-rate your experience with Mafia, both inside and outside the forum?

Do you find that self-vote scummy?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2020, 12:22:10 am »

I may be rusty, but don't cut me any slack.  I'll get back in the groove quickly.  Also, anyone:  I used to be able to hit ctrl-b to bold (as in auto insert the tags), and now it won't.  Is that a browser thing or a forum setting somewhere I'm missing?

It's a browser thing. I just tried it out and it worked for me

Juicebox:

IcyTea31

I also don't believe I've played with you.  How would you self-rate your experience with Mafia, both inside and outside the forum?

Do you find that self-vote scummy?

Well I would say that I am a decent mafia player. I'm slightly better at scum than I am at town, but I usually have fun either way.

I would say that it's non alignment indicative. I think IcyTea was just trying to RVS, albeit a bit differently than normal.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2020, 12:39:02 am »

Juice:  Are you doing per-player posts, or just what pops into your head at the time?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 25, 2020, 12:43:49 am »

Just what pops into my head. I was mainly just trying to catch up with the thread.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 25, 2020, 01:28:17 am »

I suppose this technically qualifies as tomorrow, where I am.

I hate everyone here.

Juicebox, let's make it a nice two for two shall we?

4maskwolf
You really want me to take you out two games in a row? Sure I can make that happen. I'll have to lynch you this time, though.
I like this, this is funny.  NAI, but funny.  You get a pass for now.

Speaking of people who don't get passes.

FallacyOfUrist, I'm genuinely unclear on how you manage to post so much while doing so little.  You've spent the entire game waxing poetic about french fries and spazzing your vote between between people so frequently I'd ask if it wasn't a post restriction, but I don't think it is because your second post has no vote change in it.  What are you hoping to accomplish this D1?

Toaster:
Also, anyone:  I used to be able to hit ctrl-b to bold (as in auto insert the tags), and now it won't.  Is that a browser thing or a forum setting somewhere I'm missing?
TBH I didn't even know that was a thing, I can confirm I can't do it on Google Chrome.

Leafsnail:
Merry Christmas!

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2020, 01:31:05 am »

Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)

You can post without javascript but the input hijacking inside the form uses it.
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FoU (click to show/hide)

juicebox: anything stand out to you so far? I'm not getting any strong feelings out of the long-form responses besides thinking FoU should be playing a stronger town game which I anticipated I'd be thinking before this game ever started. Has anyone made any kind of impactful slip so far?
PPE:
4maskwolf: any strong impressions from toaster/jim/toony/vector/njw (the players besides FoU with longform responses) so far?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 25, 2020, 02:05:55 am »

Well I've played a few games before, but this is on a completely different level. A massive PM detailing my role, massive posts from the veterans, a massive PM to web asking clarifying questions about my role. I'm finally caught up though, but I wasn't able to deeply examine each and every Wall of Text.

I think I'll start by introducing myself to the vets. Mainly Toaster and Dolores since they're the ones who asked.

I have only played 4 mafia games in total on this forum. A vanilla beginner game as a townie, Fallacy of Urist's unfinished BYOR as a replacement townie, Tomasque's Town of Salem as scum,and as an Exterminator in the previous Bastard game (though we were all exterminators).

If you want to get a feel for how I play, none of the games are very long so you can certainly read them all within an hour or two (besides the bastard). A quick look shows that I post a lot more when I am town compared to scum. I wasn't a good player back then for either side, but it's been years since I last played (besides the bastard) so I hope I've wizened a little.

I've also played some Secret Hitler, and there's an insight I gained from there that I think is very relevant here.

Mafia has always been a game about pitting an informed minority against an uninformed majority. During my time with secret H, I've noticed that scum can use this advantage to manufacture a strong narrative that a bumbling town can either latch on to or at least be confused by. I stress this point here, because there is a lot more mafia this time due to how many more players we have. I expect the count to range from 3-5 depending on the amount of third-parties present.

What this means though is that they have much more room to coordinate amongst themselves and construct a stronger narrative. I won't tell the scum how I plan to protect myself from that, but I want the less experienced players to think hard about what that means. I'm pretty sure this old news for the veterans, but I want the intermediates to know the answer to the following question:

In a game of mafia where the town is doing badly, who is more likely to know what's going on and lead the town to victory:

The group of 4 people?

or

The group of 2 people?

Spoiler: Additionally (click to show/hide)

Ideally, this is a question I'd like to ask to everyone, but you're more likely to get an answer if you ask specific people.

That's why I'm asking Caz, Juicebox, Luckyowl, and Fallacy of Urist

and Jim Groovestor too because I want to hear a veteran's opinion on this topic.

Whoever answers the question last gets my vote until they talk me out of it.

A few other things I want to say to round out my opening post. I agree with Dolores when they talk about the importance of the day game. Abilities that mess with the lynch are much less common than role-blocks, redirects, kills, and "information interference". If a town tries to do something clever with their abilities at night, it's incredibly likely that someone is going to mess with it and completely wreck their plan. A conclusion based off of deduction is much sturdier. Even if there is vote interference, it doesn't change the underlying opinion of the person who cast it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 122