Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 98744 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »

God I'm panicking.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2020, 10:56:35 pm »

Deep breaths. You're OK.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2020, 11:00:27 pm »

I don't know what was posted, but I think if Heydude changed enough in the quote it's reasonable to assume it could be real or he's faking it. In other words everything is cool. It would be lame of Webadict to modkill him over this.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2020, 11:04:12 pm »

He's already given me the guilty verdict, I'm just awaiting the sentencing. I did change important details, but the gist was still accurate. Also, I believe the crime is simply using the formatting of a pm. If I created a PM out of nowhere that looked official and I tried to pass it off as real, I'm sure I'd still be punished.

There are just some things you can't do in mafia. It's like actually cheating in the card game "Cheat" (also known as "Bullshit")
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2020, 11:05:19 pm »

Unvote

heydude6

Heydude6 is faking it hard. Explanation to come.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2020, 11:07:34 pm »

Spoiler: heydude6 (click to show/hide)
There are just some things you can't do in mafia.
Yeah, like edit your posts.

Toaster
Dolores:  You definition of who needs to be lynched for lurking comes off as arbitrary.
I mean, didn't I say I don't believe in it (Lynch all Lurkers)?
If I had a concrete answer to 'who needs to be lynched for lurking' I'd advocate the policy of lynching players under those conditions. I don't, so I don't. Like I said, me leaving/moving my vote around on mostly inactive players doesn't mean that's who I want to lynch.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cool mafia game
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2020, 11:14:22 pm »

FoU:

[2] I would complain about your insults, but honestly you're completely right. I'm terrible at mafia daygaming and if you really were in games with me, you'd know that. I rely on the night game and cunning gambits to get anything done. Half the time that fails completely too, though.

I'll take this and run with it. You're bad with the day game, but are good with the night game.

Hypothetical: Everyone was really boring and picked low on the shenanagain scale, giving us a mostly vanilla game. Your role gets you a double action, and every night you have both a protect and a roleblock. You live to use it successfully each night, without being blocked, redirected, etc. 16 players, so we'll say there are two nightkillers.
What chances do you give yourself of successfully blocking a bad role on each of the first three nights, and protecting a townie?
How do you choose your targets, with your self-admittedly terrible day game?

4mask:

Mechanical methods certainly helped, but you have to be willing to extend a certain level of trust to win as town.  Take a look at how webadict plays, not so much his D1s but the other days.  A big part of what makes him successful at scumhunting and closing out games is that he's willing to extend trust to others, even if they haven't fully earned it, and work with them to eliminate the people he doesn't trust.
This stuck out, because I don't see how town can trust anybody. Generally speaking, the people who want to seem the most trustworthy are scum, while The Ideal Townie generally doesn't mind taking a bit of heat if it means finding scum. How can you trust anybody, especially those who haven't earned it, and how do you decide who to trust?

IcyTea:

(Pre-post edit: This was written when I missed your little slip-up) I expect you're fishing for whoever goes for an easy attack based on an RVS vote. I'll judge you based on whether your WoTs from it are fruitless slap fights that make my eyes glaze over, or they present a compelling case.
At the moment, do you consider Toony to be untown?

From your use of "we", it sounds like you didn't start the game by asking webadict a hundred questions. I heartily recommend it, it gives one great insight to how this particular game works.
That sounds tedious for all involved, if everyone does so. Do you have any insights that would be useful to town?
What sorts of things should one ask?

NQT:
Just a general disclaimer: my playstyle doesn't start really rolling until D2 (though please dont nk me tonight) but I'll still be active today (except maybe not today today as it's Christmas).
What's your day 2 look like, and how does it make up for a weak D1?
Who are you most suspicious of between Vector, Jim, Toaster, Leafsnail and Dolores?

Jim:

Yes. I'm finding this Day 1 exhausting already and the sooner it ends the better.

For being unlynchable, you are acting intriguingly blatantly anti-town. Why would you prefer to end the day early than lurk and ignore the walls of pain?

Owl:

With that out of the way.Because IcyTea31 opened with that really cool overly confidence self-voting.  I'm going to say IcyTea31 is townie and is the only I trust so far.
Okay, cool. What're you going to do with this information?
How far does your trust extend?
What exactly do you think of his slip-up Vector highlighted here?
IcyTea, IcyTea, IcyTea. Why did you reveal your nefarious plot now? Luckyowl hasn't even posted yet. Why should town listen to anything an unjustified self-voter has to say?
Because not listening to people is how one loses this game as town, and I have knowledge town doesn't have. It seems to me that the only reason you'd have no reason to listen to me is if I don't have knowledge that you don't as well.
Why are you giving your trust away so early into D1, and then sticking to it?
Do you plan to do more than buddy up with Tea in D1?
Are you aware that you're buddying Tea, and that buddying is an easy scum tell for novices?
I won't be doing any townread as it doesn't mean anything to me. Will it make me look scum? Yeah, but if you think I'm scum then you're emotionally thinking rather than logically. Hence unravelling the facade that Mafia is all my rational thinking.

As I said I'm going to put all my trust on IcyTea31. As it's the most townie thing to do. Trust is important to me.
Hooo boy. Why do you think blindly trusting the first person to do something random in RVS is the most townie thing to do?
If trust is important, why do you give it so quickly?
If actions matter, why not wait and see who finds scum?

Toony M:
Not all of us are crazy. I'm sure people will give you a break for not posting much on Christmas.
WHO IS IT? WHO'S THE SANE ONE?
More importantly, who's your current runner-up lynch target? (I'll assume IcyT is the primary, for the sake of the tunnel)

Juicebox:
What's your D1 plan look like?

Heydude:
In a game of mafia where the town is doing badly, who is more likely to know what's going on and lead the town to victory:
[-snip-]
None of them. If they knew what was going on, town wouldn't be losing.

notquitethere. I usually do something stupid when I get enough [pressure]. Thankfully, real pressure only tends to develop when people act in a way that attracts it. I like to think that I've been a good townie so far.
Do you feel that townie goals are to minimize pressure?
You haven't done much hunting. How have you been a good townie so far?
As part of common sense, townies shouldn't join a bandwagon unless they fully understand and agree with the reasoning for the lynch.
Duely noted: Scum need only say "I agree with points 1, 2, and 7" before joining a bandwagon, and all is well.
How do you tell the lazy from the scum?
I disagree with everything you said:
  • In a game like mafia, words are actions.
  • Mafia is too logical for something as emotional as a gambling metaphor.
  • Walls of text are annoying, but they put you in the spotlight, which is not something scum like to do. In the games I played in, the scum meta often involved keeping their presence minimal and letting the town tear itself apart, though the veterans here might not play that way.

I let this pass cause you're a newbie.
Do you have any questions for Owl after fully disagreeing with their game philosophy, or are you going to give them a pass and ignore them?

Because "Dolores is Most Certainly Town" is valuable information:
Counter for times Dolores has claimed to be town: 5

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2020, 11:15:59 pm »

God I'm panicking.
You're fine. Thank you for editing out the offending information.

NOTE: Remember that posting things as though they are official is skirting too close to quoting. You are free to paraphrase your role, abilities, and information, but please avoid the use of an official format, if it can be helped.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2020, 11:46:01 pm »

Glad that that resolved well.

heydude

The purpose of Day 1 in my opinion is not to lynch scum (since you're more likely than not going to lynch town anyway), but to get people talking and voting so you can use these actions and sayings as evidence for claims in future days. Excessively focusing on one person is antithetical to that goal for two reasons. One, that soup can only handle so many cooks, so other players won't feel the need to say much since once all that needs to be said has been. And two, you rob people of the ability to make a choice with their vote, since there's only one suspect.

Dolores has already said everything I would be inclined to say in response to this, but I would like to reaffirm that we can in fact work hard to get a good D1 and, if we don't necessarily lynch scum (there's no guarantee, after all) at least find a strong suspect.

Jim Groovestor. You may have had a point if you were the only person to respond to this question, but 4maskwolf and Iceytea were both able understand the question and give good answers. Am I really supposed to believe a veteran who's been around since the first beginner game isn't capable of understanding a question other veterans can understand?

To be fair, I couldn't understand your question either.

ICT

Just a quick question -- how many is it to hammer? 9?

I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the three that I named. None have mounted a credible defense.
Lynching those whom to you seem like they want to be lynched is pretty brave.

First, this game isn't about bravery 9_9. And second: I meant that in the "that pot wants boiling," "that car wants fixing," kind of a way. Like "that dude is playing in such a way it's almost like they're asking to be lynched."

I agree to a limited extent with your statement in teal, but I feel that, if you are town, at this point you are hopelessly muddling the waters. Having attention on scum in the process of lynching them is, well, the goal here.
Are we in the process of lynching someone yet?

Would you mind summarizing your reads? If you are sticking with your gambit, I have to assume that you are finding it productive.
Sure. I was going to do that anyway tomorrow, so gimme a moment to collate my notes.

We may not be in the process of lynching someone yet, no, but I am strongly recommending that we move from the phase of being lol random to the phase of examining the data we have and looking for a lynch. I am encouraging you, if you are town as you claim, to contribute to that process.

dolores

I've left some of your points without responses, in large part because the commentary about RVS is discussed in the ICT section above.

It is in fact partially your job to keep from being lynched, if you are town. If you are town, you don't want to be mislynched, as that is bad for town.
Is ICT going to get lynched? If you think they want to be lynched, are you more or less likely to want them lynched?

I don't know whether ICT will be lynched or not. That's a group decision, not a personal one. I am not a fortune-teller :P

To be honest, figuring out what to do with third parties (in the case that they are a jester) is not my strength. I think that someone saying "I want to be lynched" is a big cup of WIFOM, and my usual inclination is to lynch WIFOM because its presence does nothing but benefit scum + third parties. Answering more concretely: I don't feel I know clearly whether ICT is scum because they've been revealing very little information and acting kind of crazy. Are they town that is making a big mistake? Scum that is . . . also making a big mistake?

To me, that slip-up in teal more strongly suggested that they were non-town, but I've seen townies make mistakes like that too.

ICT is on the list of people who I currently wouldn't object to being lynched. I'm waiting on their list of reads to determine more.

"Warning - while you were typing 30 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

ah yes, just like the old days
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2020, 11:50:57 pm »

Right, I've been busy with talking to people on Discord and celebrating Christmas (these are the same thing), as well as not eating, recording a hypnosis file (several actually, but one was longer than the others), so let's do this.

Unseriously, Toaster. Now let me read over everything you muffins have done. I'll probably produce several posts instead of one absolutely gigantic one. I'll also hand out fries.

Let me warn you.

You do not want me to give you fries. I would go as far to say that having my fries is worse than having my vote. Well maybe it's not so bad, but it will give me power over you. So I guess it depends on your perspective.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: Cool mafia game
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2020, 11:54:31 pm »

In what fucking universe is the central point of a post a slip?  I wasn't going to say anything because seeing toony go after it poorly like he's hopefully about to do would make him 3 for 3 for shitty cases. Here, let me add one common word to this argument that ICT has had in every one of the last 3-4 games I've been with him in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"But dolores, why are you buddying?"
I think Nirur is capable of better than tying a bunch of people including lO down into this kind of shitty case which Vector isn't following up on (because it's a shitty case and doesn't really make you think ICT is scum(PPE:yeah I'm going to continue to force sentiments into their, uh, mouth?)).
ICT's alignment (in my eyes) will depend on his ability to follow up with heydude here.
Because "Dolores is Most Certainly Town" is valuable information:
Counter for times Dolores has claimed to be town: 5
It's that low?
Until such a time as I let go of my internal wine about whether or not there's cult-style activity in this crazy closed setup, I'm the only real townie and all the rest of you are at best temp members. The only scenario where I know I win is that the rest of you are dead. [REDACTED] isn't a kill, so I can't make that happen, but still.

Vector
So you do believe in the legitimacy of that slip, and do think that ICT is more likely than the average to be non-town. How do you feel about Jim's case on him, such as it is? How would you feel about players who go after ICT primarily over that slip?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2020, 12:00:20 am »

I'm going to need you to explain that statement to me then, because I still don't understand what you're getting at here.
I'm town. If I were scum, I wouldn't be. I trust that other townies care enough to try and make the distinction, whereas scum don't care, because they already know.

I mean, other than me not moving my vote on you and your lack of response to it or my reasoning behind it, no.
There's not really much of a case to respond to, you know?

At the moment, do you consider Toony to be untown?
See below.

Do you have any insights that would be useful to town?
What sorts of things should one ask?
Everything one needs to understand one's role. I can't give many examples since most of my questions involve things I'm not ready to claim yet, but for instance, Leave Comment can be targeted with a name or names, role name or names, faction name or names, or any combination of them.

Spoiler: Reads (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2020, 12:01:19 am »

It's 7 in the morning and I've officially played Mafia all night.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2020, 12:03:54 am »

Just so it's perfectly clear (if you haven't gleaned it from my other posts) I think that ToonyMan is on balance more likely to be scum, but I'm waiting to see some more before I give some weight to that. In particular, I want to see his articulated thoughts on IcyTea after IcyTea does something i.e. makes the case on heydude6. I'm also reserving my vote for heydude6 if it turns out ICT does have something on him, which the fact that his claimed mechanical event he hasn't followed up with a paraphrased version of yet mentioned being owned by IcyTea31 by name suggests is very possible.
PPE: hey ICT where's the longform case on heydude6, you fucking nerd?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool mafia game
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2020, 12:05:49 am »

In what fucking universe is the central point of a post a slip?  I wasn't going to say anything because seeing toony go after it poorly like he's hopefully about to do would make him 3 for 3 for shitty cases. Here, let me add one common word to this argument that ICT has had in every one of the last 3-4 games I've been with him in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"But dolores, why are you buddying?"
I think Nirur is capable of better than tying a bunch of people including lO down into this kind of shitty case which Vector isn't following up on (because it's a shitty case and doesn't really make you think ICT is scum(PPE:yeah I'm going to continue to force sentiments into their, uh, mouth?)).
ICT's alignment (in my eyes) will depend on his ability to follow up with heydude here.
I stand by my questions, and haven't made any cases yet.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 122