Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 98741 times)

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #555 on: December 28, 2020, 02:13:50 am »

Jim: any thoughts on 4maskwolf? And nobody strikes you as particularly town?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 28, 2020, 02:36:37 am »

No. You know what? Fuck it. This isn't a case, but I finally have a good solid scumtell, so here it is and I can get to the rest of this tomorrow morning.

As you all know, Toony hasn't been posting that much or that involved. Then he posts a big 'ol wall of text. Part of that wall is of particular interest to me.

I'm going to bold people I've interacted with more, feel free to point out anything.

Reads, from most town to most scum:

ToonyMan, I'm town
gap
Heydude - contract logic, is also giving huge reads on everyone which I like
Luckyowl - newb
NJW2000 - I think we're getting some good insight out of them...hopefully
Nirur Torir - seems okay?
Vector - feel like they're buddying me, does throw shade on me, but seems calculated
dolores - typing a lot of words, don't know, does claim a secondary wincon
NQT - pretty quiet, he'd do a vote analysis regardless, scum lean
Toaster - same boat as Vector, I think they're more suspicious but I agree with their IcyTea argument
4maskwolf - seems like they're trying? scum lean
Juicebox - barely know they exist, scum lean
IcyTea - dumbly voted themselves, contract logic makes me more suspicious of them then Heydude, feel like they're lying a lot
UristofFallacy - playing bad should know better?
Jim Groovester - lazy lazy lazy
Leafsnail - too quiet, hiding something?
TricMagic - has no interest in the town, defeatist logic that everyone voting them is scum, don't do this

Sure. If I had to pick the 4 person mafia team right now it'd be one of two sets:

The obvious team:
Leafsnail, Jim Groovester, UristofFallacy, IcyTea

The wildcard team:
Leafsnail, IcyTea, Vector or dolores, Toaster or Vector

OK, so I want to draw your attention to a few points.

1. There is not a lot of evidence mentioned in relationship to this list. For example, I honestly can't recall anything I ever said that could be remotely construed as "buddying." The "seems calculated part," sure, I calculate. Point is: not a lot of evidence mentioned for the first player Toony is claiming to have scummy behavior. You can examine the rest of the list yourself.

2. Having assembled a lot of these lists as scum in my day, one of the key things you want to do is characterize people broadly as scummy without pointing to specific actions and posts. This covers your butt on later days ("I'm suspicious of everyone, that's why I don't have cases! Sure, let's join another bandwagon", or alternatively "funny how my suspects keep flipping town, how annoying, but you must recall that so-and-so did something scummy a long time ago as I mentioned"). It also helps you keep out of the spotlight by not saying too much. People can't use your lists to figure out who your buddies are because you say that everyone is suspicious.

3. Check the proposed scumteams vs. who has a "scum lean" in Toony's list. The claim is that NQT, 4mask, and juicebox have a scum lean and that ICT is lying a lot. Of these four, only one made the list of proposed scumteams. He also manages to suggest that 7 out of 16 players are his candidates for being on the teams he mentions. In the process, he points the finger at every veteran player other than himself.

-> Making a mechanical point: This is an advantage for the scum because vets, if town-aligned, are the most likely to catch them. Suggesting that all the vets are scum without any reasoning attached muddies the water handily. The reality is that we need to catch 4 people, not 7 or, what, 10. Note again that there was no reasoning offered for his scum squads and that the vets are spread out pretty broadly on Toony's read list, so their concentration on his scumteam lists is pretty strange.

-> Making a meta point: Please recall what Toonyman is famous for, the Toony Tunnel. Note that "calling everyone scum" is quite literally the opposite of that.

4. Along those lines, check who Toony has been interacting with and voting vs. who has a "scum lean" in Toony's list. He's been allowing a hell of a lot to slide.

5. We've all claimed that it would be better to lynch scum than a third party D1 if we can do it. Toony apparently has a strong belief that ICT and Leafsnail are scum. Jim and FallacyofUrist make up the other two pieces of, in his point of view, an "obvious" scumteam. There is, frankly, enough evidence to hang FoU ten times over if Toony were actually motivated to do anything about the "obvious scum." ICT was the main focus of discussion for a long time. Why is he still voting Tric?

Toonyman.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2020, 02:49:05 am »

Ah, I see, no true wall of text exchange would ever result in a town mislynch. I am both humbled and illuminated.

More seriously, I think that's an unrealistically high standard of play to expect from a forum mafia game and I don't think many people could meet that standard or come close. Ten years in the past I might've come close, but I had a lot more fire then.

Jim: any thoughts on 4maskwolf? And nobody strikes you as particularly town?

Not especially. He hasn't really made much of an impression on me, even acknowledging that he allegedly suspects me.

Nobody gives me a hugely solid town read. That said, I don't mind your play, ToonyMan's play, or Toaster's play. heydude6 is wrong about a lot of stuff but reads most solid to me. Luckyowl is as baffling as he was in Bastard Paranormal 3 but that wasn't a traditional mafia game so the read isn't equivalent.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2020, 04:08:53 am »

You didn't address my concerns about you being defensive at all.

You're making no effort to pressure the people you claim as scum reads, as well.
I think we either have different definitions of "addressing concerns" and "pressuring people" or you're not reading my posts.

And I did make a reads list of sorts (quoted below), it just wasn't stated directly and clearly. I think you're mafia (75%) or some sort of hydra cult (25%).

I'm okay with a Tric lynch if we can't find scum, but I'd prefer to lynch a mafia player. The people I named in blue earlier still seem like the best place to start looking.
"People I named in blue" isn't much a split, since you've named 10 people in red. What happened to those other cases?

I no longer think your "slip" was actually a scum slip, and that's why I voted you.  I don't have any substantive reasons to suspect you any more.
Scans well enough, and I'm starting to realize what it is you've been doing. It's a pretty outdated technique, but still town. Unvote

Can you tell me the name Webadict gave to one of my ability?
No, but if the name of the ability you gave has nothing to do with the lyrics of any famous song from the seventies, you know that it's changed.

Reads, from most town to most scum:

ToonyMan, I'm town
gap
Heydude - contract logic, is also giving huge reads on everyone which I like
Luckyowl - newb
NJW2000 - I think we're getting some good insight out of them...hopefully
Nirur Torir - seems okay?
Vector - feel like they're buddying me, does throw shade on me, but seems calculated
dolores - typing a lot of words, don't know, does claim a secondary wincon
NQT - pretty quiet, he'd do a vote analysis regardless, scum lean
Toaster - same boat as Vector, I think they're more suspicious but I agree with their IcyTea argument
4maskwolf - seems like they're trying? scum lean
Juicebox - barely know they exist, scum lean
IcyTea - dumbly voted themselves, contract logic makes me more suspicious of them then Heydude, feel like they're lying a lot
UristofFallacy - playing bad should know better?
Jim Groovester - lazy lazy lazy
Leafsnail - too quiet, hiding something?
TricMagic - has no interest in the town, defeatist logic that everyone voting them is scum, don't do this
Are there really only 5 townies?

IcyTea still has not moved their vote from Toaster, and it's nearing the final part of the first Day. Surely there's a better option by now, or more evidence to vote Toaster to use?
Why, yes there is! This will take a bit.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2020, 04:41:29 am »

Ah, I see, no true wall of text exchange would ever result in a town mislynch. I am both humbled and illuminated.

More seriously, I think that's an unrealistically high standard of play to expect from a forum mafia game and I don't think many people could meet that standard or come close. Ten years in the past I might've come close, but I had a lot more fire then.
I don't expect people to meet that standard. I expect people to want to meet that standard.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which doll acts like a chunni in metacomments
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2020, 05:58:29 am »

Spoiler: More irrelevant meta (click to show/hide)

ICT
Everyone: Why am I self-voting?
Here's a longer answer if you're interested.

So how about that ToonyMan?
I still like his RVS posts.
His interactions with me coming out of RVS still feel suspicious, in a way where he's not really seeing what I'm saying and more just attacking a strawman. He does something similar with ICT too, though in that case he's more correct in that he'd have to go out of his way to consider possible reasons ICT was doing what he was doing besides wasting peoples time and I do think ICT was being lazy and lame about it in RVS. But this I can easily see as him(/me) just being an asshole and assuming someone to be wrong without actually having a fair dialogue and I don't think the whole thing is worth the time it'd take to unravel and he can always back out of it so I think I'm going to definitely leave it. These (RVS interactions) are where my earliest suspicions of ToonyMan since before the heydude saga are from, if you are wondering.

Thankfully this case isn't based on a lack of scumhunting so I only need to go through the relevant dialogue. Spoilers are each a call-response in the Toony-NJW chain.
Spoiler: P1 (click to show/hide)
This is the slip. There's an implicit assumption that heydude is town, a statement that doesn't contradict that, then the fact that heydude is town is drawn from it. The problem is that it doesn't prove heydude is town, which NJW catches.
At the time of this post I was already convinced that heydude6 was town. The post I came to that conclusion in is a little above ToonyMan's post and laboriously long. However, ToonyMan never references any kind of reasoning besides the logically incoherent quote above as to why he thinks heydude6 is town; he has no public reason to have already reached that conclusion, and if the quoted reasoning was the basis of his assumption he would caught the fact that it is flawed before posting such a strong read.
Spoiler: P2 (click to show/hide)
When NJW2000 calls ToonyMan out on his inconsistent logic, rather than walking back the read, ToonyMan attacks the response without responding to the comments of the logic. For the record, I think that NJW's logic is correct, but that's not what bothers me about Toony's post here.
Toony's response is to shift the goalposts of the heydude6 townread to the assertion that heydude6 is not on the same team as ICT. These things are only equivalent if ICT is unequivocally scum, and yet ToonyMan moves his vote from one player that is not ICT to another player that is not ICT.
ToonyMan's response does not address the accusation that his assumption that heydude6 is not supported by the logic of his first post, and instead brings up a non-sequitur.
Spoiler: P3 (click to show/hide)
We've moved totally past the original slip here, but ToonyMan is continuing to presuppose that heydude6 is town without really thinking about it. (For the record, ToonyMan's second point is entirely correct).
Specifically, we've gone from:
A scum member would definitely be cautious and check it over first with their buddies, if they even decided to say anything at all, before giving information to the town. I don't think Heydude is mafia, and probably not malicious either.
to
This only makes sense if Heydude is scum, but I don't believe this is true either. It implies Heydude and the contract sender are on the same team, and it makes their actions baffling just to take down IcyTea, who was already a lynch candidate.
We've achieved full circular logic. ToonyMan knows that heydude6 isn't (in a team with the player who is) the contract sender because that would only make sense if heydude6 is scum, so heydude6 is very likely not scum.

The last/most recent section of their dialogue is a very milquetoast response which I'd assume is an attempt to move past the whole thing since Toony knows how bad it looks and not important to my argument. I've included it below only for the sake of completeness.
Spoiler: P4 (click to show/hide)

This entire case is less compelling to me than the one on 4maskwolf in the sense that there's an outside possibility, however slim, of it being a long string of mistakes and miscommunications. Maybe ToonyMan was just wrong, then failed to grasp how it was pointed out to him, etc. Maybe neither I nor NJW2000 can read.
I don't think that's the case and I think that it's extremely unlikely that a better explanation than 'ToonyMan is scum' will be found, but I don't think I can be convinced that 4maskwolf is town unless he shows some interest in the alignment of other players.
I think it's very likely that the slip is a real scumslip and the responses are real attempts to move past it.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 28, 2020, 06:01:49 am »

EBWOP for the second spoiler, 4th stanza:
instead all I get out of it is a townread on ICT.
instead all I get out of it is a townread on heydude6*.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 28, 2020, 06:09:08 am »

Dolores, you motherfucker.

ToonyMan is who I think is the best candidate to lynch today.

I was going to make a point here about Toony's response to the conract incident with NJW2000, but dolores said it better, and I completely agree with their analysis. Thanks for saving me time, I suppose.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 28, 2020, 06:15:22 am »

EBWOP2/Post-Publishing Commentary:
I'm being reductive in the section after P3 (the 5th spoiler).
Toony gives two cases which would match with the scenario NJW had proposed. The first is that heydude6 is the contract sender, which is considered non-alignment-indicative. The second, which the second quote is taken from, is a combination of two separate cases (contract maker is totally independent 3rd party, contract maker is on scum team with heydude6). I am accusing ToonyMan (in the section after P3) of using circular logic to dismiss both the possibility that heydude6 and the the contract maker (possibly the same person) are both scum.

Dolores, you motherfucker.
After you said you had something while I was still writing the second spoiler I knew I had to push out the case on Toony so I could beat you to the press

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which doll acts like a chunni in metacomments
« Reply #564 on: December 28, 2020, 06:25:59 am »

I question why you aren't doing anything to try to find my alignment
Getting a full read on you is a large project which I've put on the backburner until I can put my full attention on it. However, you've been active in generating information about yourself without me having to prod you, and have had several thoughts similar to mine, which hints that we're working from largely the same mindsets.

Also, I'm surprised he didn't spend more time away from the game on christmas but maybe he did and just has had a busy time, whatever.
I've been playing on my laptop at my parents' house (not having a mouse really slows me down, by the way). I've played D&D, I've had fancy xmas meals, I've completed a jigsaw puzzle, I've watched Babylon 5 off DVD. All that has nothing to do with the game, so I've just let it speak for itself in absences a couple hours long each.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 28, 2020, 07:32:23 am »

FoU:
If you think IcyTea's scummy enough that you wouldn't mind Tric executing a nightkill on them, why aren't you voting IcyTea currently? The Day's getting closer and closer to ending, we ought to figure out who we want to lynch, even if we still have some leeway.
I don't think IcyTea's scummy, per se. He just seems to have intentionally played the daygame in a way that would destroy a lot of town goodwill - and I don't just mean the self-vote. It's almost like he's daring us to lynch him. As such, I'm unwilling to do so right now, unless on the basis of mechanical information. I want to lynch the person I find most likely to be scum.

TricMagic executing them on the other hand would give town mechanical information, as well as remove the person playing in what I perceive an unconstructive way, without potentially wasting the lynch. Note to anyone skimming: I have no evidence that Tric could do this.

Vector: thanks for the clarification post. I appreciate that writing that much takes a good deal of time and energy. This does help explain the mindset which produced the defence I was asking you about.

Toonyman:
No, I... this isn't what I meant. I'm not asking for your heydude read, I'm asking why your first townread on heydude for sharing info didn't consider the fact that scum!heydude would have an equal incentive to share the info.

A previous town read on heydude would of course have framed his actions in a townie light, but this seems circular.

FoU:
NJW2000: Of all the cases going on right now, which one looks the most likely to hit a mafia player to you?
I'm liking the case on Toonyman right now, as beautifully set out by dolores and IcyTea. Bandwagon, ho!

NJW2000 there's some things I'd like to know what you think, what are your feelings towards dolores? Towards Vector? Towards Leafsnail? I'm pretty curious what you think of them.
dolores? still suspicious of them, mostly based on a gut read from their stuff early in the day. They have been doing some useful work in the thread, and they're voting you, so I'm putting those doubts aside for now.

Vector: so far they haven't done much to draw suspiscion, has been helping discussion. Seems like a pretty strong player though, wouldn't bet on myself catching scum!Vector. Null read.

Leafsnail? Not much, at present. I haven't got a read on them. I don't think the people saying he hasn't done a huge amount in the thread are completely wrong - their activity has been a bit thin on the ground. This is however D1 on a day with a great deal of mechanical craziness, and just reading the thread takes some work - I've been carefully skipping several discussions just because I can't focus on everything at once. Additionally, I think his first question on Tric and later questions on Vector have been quite insightful. I feel his low engagement would be a very weak reason for a lynch, but a reason nonetheless - we just have many better reasons.

...if it seems like I'm more paranoid about these three players than the rest, I'm not. I just don't like townreading people.

Why did you want to know these things?

TricMagic:
Tricmagic: You seem fairly certain you'll die today. That may not in fact be a losing position. As far as I understand the comment system, we can seriously mess with the game, and possibly even your wincon if it's thirdparty, via the comments ability (correct me if I'm wrong), provided we know your role and alignment. How would you feel about a deal in which you help town further somehow, perhaps by giving up your hats, and we try to change your wincon with comments so that you can still win after dying?

Bastard stuff, to be sure, but as far as I can tell it might be possible.
I know you have a lot on your plate this game, but this offer still stands. It's not much, but it might be something. You do now seem motivated by a genuine desire to help Town, and I think we should reward that.

Not going to post a readslist, as I don't have a strong enough grasp on the situation to give an insightful look into fifteen other players. Finding it hard to remember that NQT or 4mask exist, for example. Will reread bits of the thread that interest me, have spent too long typing my replies and not enough time studying what other people have said.
One wheel short of a wagon

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 28, 2020, 07:41:01 am »

I'm liking the case on Toonyman right now, as beautifully set out by dolores and IcyTea. Bandwagon, ho!
In the same post, you say you don't trust either me or dolores. Are you just bandwagoning, or did you reach the same conclusions on your own?

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 28, 2020, 07:46:02 am »

You do now seem motivated by a genuine desire to help Town, and I think we should reward that.
Occam's razor for "Tric has a genuine desire to help Town" is just"Tric is town", in which case killing him doesn't help the town. Do you have a reason to think that he's actually an anti-town alignment (in the sense that town needs him dead to win) and not just a player who is willing to throw out the daygame in order to play with a shiny toy?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 28, 2020, 08:05:26 am »

PFP

We were saving this in case Icy’s early game shenanigans got him in too much hot water, but since the wagons have moved on we’ve agreed to claim D1 to prevent WIFOM.

Icy tea and I are masons.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 28, 2020, 08:08:28 am »

Icy tea and I are masons.
So what, has all the scumhunting you've coordinated just happened to come out of your mouth and that's why you never followed up on it?
Do you actually know that you know each other's alignments?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 122