Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 98750 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #660 on: December 28, 2020, 09:38:43 pm »

Damned if I see an answer anywhere.
I quoted the post in which I answered. But if you mean to say that's not good enough for you...

I will benefit from it more greatly at a later time. At the moment it's given me a talking point, though it's mostly been eclipsed by shenaniganery like the contract stuff and the mason claim.

Crap, you sure did.  I am blind; my bad.

Really waiting on 4mask here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #661 on: December 28, 2020, 09:41:33 pm »

Damned if I see an answer anywhere.
I quoted the post in which I answered. But if you mean to say that's not good enough for you...

I will benefit from it more greatly at a later time. At the moment it's given me a talking point, though it's mostly been eclipsed by shenaniganery like the contract stuff and the mason claim.

Crap, you sure did.  I am blind; my bad.

Really waiting on 4mask here.
I'm writing it as we speak, or at least I'm writing up my thoughts on FallacyOfUrist at any rate, I already noted that I'm not satisfied with saying much of anything about Jim.  I did notice that you were waiting on me to post my thoughts, which really does beg the question: why.  Why are my thoughts, someone you're apparently convinced is part of a two-man scumteam pulling a weird gambit, so important to your ongoing play this day?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #662 on: December 28, 2020, 10:37:29 pm »

PPE: OH MY FUCKING GOD I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF WRITING MY POST AND THEN MY TRACKPAD DID THE THING WHERE IT SELECTED THE ENTIRE POST WHILE I WAS TRYING TO PRESS BACKSPACE.  FML.

Just laptop things.

I was going to write a whole thing on the good, the bad, and the ugly of fallacy with my final thoughts at the end but I've lost so many of my quotes that I'm going to give the cliff notes version.

The Good:
I like Fallacy's "scum first, third party if no scum found" attitude, whereas most people seemed content to settle on Tricmagic as a perceived third party and call it a day.
The fact that he followed basically the same gameplay trajectory as IcyTea, someone who's a mechanical clear to me, is definitely a major plus.  This one is meta dependent: I know I've personally used the "Draw heat early D1, burn it off over the course of the day" strategy before as scum before, because it tends to lead to people reading you well heading into D2, but I'm not sure whether that's something scum!Fallacy would do (and I'm also a lot less blatant about screwing around than Fallacy is, which is probably points towards town!Fallacy).
His flip-flopping on Icy last night strikes me as more townie than scummy.  It's easily faked, but scum are, generally speaking, more reticent to flip-flop on a case, and Fallacy just went full stream-of-consciousness over whether or not IcyTea was scum over the whole Hydraform discussion.  He was wrong, but being wrong isn't inherently scummy, this is mafia.

The Neutral:
The grasping at straws and raking in the mud to come up with a plausible scenario in which scum!Mask and scum!Icy claim masons on D1 is... a thing.  There's a reason dolores, Leafsnail, and Jim largely just shrugged and moved on with their lives, accepting it but not putting 100% faith in it.  It's essentially a nothing claim, an interesting tidbit that will be proved right or wrong eventually.  Clowning around coming up with increasingly elaborate scenarios where it's some dramatic ruse, the rest of the town is sheep, and nobody else can see it but you doesn't actually help anything.  I'm willing to give him more a pass here, though, because frankly it seems more in-character for him than the other two.

The Bad:
Inconsistency of words vs. actions.  He claimed during RVS that his playstyle was "tunneling one person" and then... kind of didn't do that?  Like, he was getting on Tric's case over the whole "lol lynch random players, get hat" thing while at the same time maintaining the presence to make aspersions at Jim Groovester and later Lucky and Icy.  Then suddenly it was like his mind went into full lockdown mode the moment he decided Icy was scum, and his previous presence and making accusations at multiple people just disappeared as he went full tunnel mode, and has continued to grasp at straws to try and keep his tunnel going and coming up with outlandish gambit scenarios when faced with a rather meaningless claim that would indicate he's wrong.  This is more in line with what he claimed he was going to do at the beginning of the game but a sharp descent from where he'd been at, playwise, previously.
Continuing on this trend, while his case on Icy is mostly whatever to technically reasonable if you don't know Icy's alignment, his first accusation (that icy refused to use his vote to pressure by using it on himself) is coming from the same person who said "My vote doesn't mean anything, it's RVS, I'll sling it whichever way I want!"  It's trying to have his cake (RVS votes don't matter and apply no pressure) and eat it to (You didn't use your RVS vote to pressure, that's a point against you).

Personally, I place him as probably most likely to be town of the three people I have grouped together.  Which three?  Toonyman, Toaster, and FallacyOfUrist.  I've lumped them together because I have a theory that at least one, but not all three, of them are scum.  I've heard a theory of wagonomics that the top wagon of D1 will always have some, but not all, of the scumteam on it, and will never be made entirely of scum.  And frankly, as much of a nothing theory as that is (while generally true, I've never seen it lead to interesting insight in who is scum or not), I think there's a more broad application that can actually be used to group people: in a large enough group engaged in a specific behavior contrary to the town's interests, at least some but never all will be scum taking the opportunity to stir up shit.  Scumteams rarely like to put all their eggs in one basket, but scum have a vested interest in both starting smokescreen tactics and in encouraging those that have already taken root among a minority of townies.

Toonyman I've viewed as scum on and off for quite a while anyway, and his blatant rolefishing and selective grasp on history (claiming to be asking webadict basic gameplay questions when called out for fishing around Icy re: Hydraform, etc.) have only served to strengthen that notion.

Toaster should frankly know better than to stir the shit pot but I've largely liked a lot of the rest of his stuff (yes, even him constantly reminding me to answer his questions and post reads.  This is far from the first time town!Toaster has harped on me for this on D1).  I haven't given him as close a read as I have a lot of other people but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as objectionable, so unless Toony flips town I've not got any specific reason to believe Toaster scum.

Fallacy strikes me as just a lone wolf townie who got a little stuck in his own cases.  I haven't played too many games with Fallacy, but I have vague memories of him kind of being like this normally, very enthusiastic and very focused but sometimes getting a little too stuck in the weeds to see the big picture.  Ultimately, the bad of his inconsistency isn't the worst thing in the world, we all have moments where we say (and technically believe) one thing in mafia and then do another when the context changes.  I know I've been a little inconsistent on my beliefs versus actions before.

Bluh, that was barely anything and it still took me almost an hour, and I know I probably missed several things I wanted to say in there.  But that's life for you.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which things get dumb
« Reply #663 on: December 28, 2020, 10:39:21 pm »

If you're happy with a Tric lynch, why not be okay with a surprise hammer?  Someone pulling said surprise hammer will be very informative, both in that it exists and seeing motivations behind it.
It was mostly whim, wanting to maximize my chances of a reads list down before the end of day 1. I procrastinate on this sort of thing, and it took me enough time to get it out even before this mason thing and whatever happens tonight, with a night kill and shenanigans 11 people running around.

I am displeased that I'll have to re-think my reads now that scum suspects are probably masons. A fake mason claim when everyone could have a powerful role is insane, and I'll tentatively believe them for now.

Alternatively, can you actually articulate your problems with the cases made?
It was partially finding the sudden bandwagon away from Tric strange, and partially from misunderstanding the points that you made in your case. This, in particular, casts a lot of guilt, but I didn't quite catch it the first time:
Toony's response is to shift the goalposts of the heydude6 townread to the assertion that heydude6 is not on the same team as ICT. These things are only equivalent if ICT is unequivocally scum, and yet ToonyMan moves his vote from one player that is not ICT to another player that is not ICT.

I'm convinced now. Re-reading your case, combined with Vector's, is compelling. Further, Toony's posts since the mason claim read like panicked obsession, instead of a townie trying to help solve the puzzle now that we have 4 scum, 2 masons, and 2 strong newbtown suspects.
After thinking, I don't expect that Tric has a kill, at least not without all his hats, and his claimed abilities sound like a reasonable role that's better for town to fire off than not.
I think the odds are better than 50%, I'll switch. Even odds of cutting off a mafioso action is worth more than lynching a relatively benign third party.
ToonyMan

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 28, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »

On a somewhat unrelated note, TricMagic, do you have anything more to say for yourself.  There's less than 24 hours to go and you're still in danger of being lynched, while you're tied in votes with Toonyman I get the impression you're more generally distrusted after your executioner-style hat shenanigans.  Any words of wisdom?  Any scumreads?  You said that your wagon was the most suspicious of the suspicious, feel like following up on why you distrust those voting for you?

PPE: And Nirur ninja'd me by altering the votecount, but the point still stands: you're not out of the woods, and regardless of your alignment going silent isn't going to do you many favors, at least not ones you'll live super long to spend.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 28, 2020, 10:43:46 pm »

PPE: OH MY FUCKING GOD I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF WRITING MY POST AND THEN MY TRACKPAD DID THE THING WHERE IT SELECTED THE ENTIRE POST WHILE I WAS TRYING TO PRESS BACKSPACE.  FML.
Ctrl+Z in most modern browsers undoes deletes.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 28, 2020, 10:44:35 pm »

Ctrl+Z in most modern browsers undoes deletes.
Thank you so much, you've saved me endless headaches in the future.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which doll acts like a chunni in metacomments
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2020, 10:48:13 pm »

@Leafsnail:
I'm happy to believe the mason claim provisionally. Obviously it could be a scum gambit but it would be an extremely risky one - even if town completely believed it scum masons could get massively blown out by a third-party killing role such as an SK.

fakedit: a daycult fakeclaiming masons would be outright suicide rather than merely risky, because they'd be painting huge targets on themselves for the mafia.
It's true. They're either bafflingly stupid town masons or a bafflingly stupid third-party group. I don't think a Day 1 cult conversion makes sense, and the combination of 4mask and IcyTea both finding me suspicious the entire game makes the whole thing rather annoying since I don't think they're capable of thinking or understanding arguments. They're twisting everything I say the same way dolores says I'm responding to NJW2000, I don't get it.

This case against ToonyMan doesn't make sense to me. What you're touting as a "slip" seems to me like an overly pedantic reading of TM's posts.
It sure is.

I think I believe you that you were busy with family commitment after Christmas. You're voting TricMagic now, so it would have been easy to just vote hop and mislynch me instead while "agreeing" with everyone else's points.

@Toaster:
Webadict:
There are four Mafia players. Lynching a Jester would not end the game unless Shenanigans. You can get a Lurkertrack in a bit.
Are the four Mafia players on the same team?
I mean, that's something you'd have to ask them, wouldn't you?
Interesting, I didn't think of two mafia teams. The other mafia team would surely be suspicious of two people claiming each other though? 4mask and IcyTea would be completely outed, not that I would put it past them. Anti-town and anti-mafia behavior!

@Heydude:
It seems I was wrong about the deadline being tonight. Do you believe my soft-claim on you? Who's scum?

@NQT:
Thoughts?

@NJW2000:
This is a useful result! If Toony flips town (I think we get alignments despite No Spoilers), he clears heydude to some extent. Only problem: I can't really see why he didn't reveal it immediately, or at some point during the kerfuffle with Icytea, or after that was over - isn't confirming someone sooner rather than later good play?
I have a day investigative ability. Cops shouldn't even claim their results on Day 2 if on Night 1 they hit a townie. Why would I claim a weaker town result on Heydude during Day 1? Your reasoning doesn't make sense to me here. I could have said nothing after getting my result, but I chose to reason why my result could be true without claiming to the public that I have a day cop ability. I'm totally fine with you finding this suspicious because it does involve me having extra knowledge which you reasonably (or scummily) deduced.

In fact, he only mentions it to defend himself. My vote on him, whether or not it achieved the pressure that produced this weak final defence, is at least justified by it.
Do you mean partial-claiming after you hounded me the whole day for it? I had to claim my result after getting so many votes, it's not something I would have liked to do you know, so congrats if you're scum.

DOLORES
Yeah, nah, you've totally glossed over our central points again.
It literally does not matter what alignment the ICT+4maskwolf show is. They claimed at a point where ICT was unequivocally in no danger. 4maskwolf is and has been under a fair amount of unresolved heat. This is no reason to claim to protect IcyTea31. Yet that is what you say they are doing, in a line you're now asking us to accept as an you accepting their claim (which to be true, would have to imply that this is what you really thought).
Dude fuck you, what am I glossing over? Literally everything I say is completely dismissed by you as you cover your ears and go "LALALALA". I'm trying to understand what everyone is saying and whether I believe them or not.

I'm willing to believe 4mask and IcyTea claims, and I'm questioning them to assert this. If you think I'm just doubting them to be an ass that's not true at all.

I mean, that's something you'd have to ask them, wouldn't you?
Hey ToonyMan, how many players does your scumteam have?
If your goal is just to piss me off then it's working. I'm town.

Wait, really? Tric has all but claimed that alignment himself and has displayed no inclination towards finding scum, preferring to lynch the people he thinks has his hats.
I don't think that's inconsistent with his town meta.
Specifically, I think that that Tric says he believes that the people impeding from getting his hats are scum for denying town access to his (seemingly pretty mediocre, really, compared to the cost of a mislynch) abilities is entirely in line with what I would believe he would do and (unfortunately) don't think it's as uncommon a stance as you're implying.
So he's town because you say so? Where is he then?

@TricMagic:
What's up? You're voting Jim right now, you could easily put a vote on me to help yourself. What are your plans for the rest of the day?

@Nirur Torir:
I'm convinced now. Re-reading your case, combined with Vector's, is compelling. Further, Toony's posts since the mason claim read like panicked obsession, instead of a townie trying to help solve the puzzle now that we have 4 scum, 2 masons, and 2 strong newbtown suspects.
I felt pretty beat up a couple hours ago. I get pretty antsy when a day is about to end and there's a noose around my neck, except it really wasn't ending yet, oops.

I think Vector has the weakest case on me, but also is the only one that has ears?
I don't understand what dolores and NJW2000 are saying, dolores doesn't care what I say, NJW might?
4mask and IcyTea don't care what I have to say.

After thinking, I don't expect that Tric has a kill, at least not without all his hats, and his claimed abilities sound like a reasonable role that's better for town to fire off than not.
I think the odds are better than 50%, I'll switch. Even odds of cutting off a mafioso action is worth more than lynching a relatively benign third party.
ToonyMan
Fair enough. This at least makes it easier for me to post my notes before day ending without last minute vote switching.

I'm hoping you'll reread and make another conclusion though.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 28, 2020, 10:56:18 pm »

Spoiler: OOC Vote Count Ideas (click to show/hide)

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - 0 -
dolores - 0 -
FallacyofUrist - 1 - heydude6*,
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 2 - Luckyowl*, FallacyofUrist*,
Jim Groovester - 1 - TricMagic*,
juicebox - 0 -
Leafsnail - 2 - notquitethere*, juicebox*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
notquitethere - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -
ToonyMan - 6 - 4maskwolf*, Nirur Torir*, dolores*, NJW2000*, IcyTea31*, Vector*,
TricMagic - 4 - Leafsnail*, ToonyMan*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch -

Not Voting -

9 to Hammer. Day ends on December 29, 2020 at 19:00 CST (~21 hours remaining).

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which doll acts like a chunni in metacomments
« Reply #669 on: December 28, 2020, 11:22:24 pm »

Spoiler: ToonyMan (click to show/hide)

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 28, 2020, 11:26:08 pm »

EBWOP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 28, 2020, 11:34:38 pm »

I never accused you of not believing the claim. I do not care if you believe the claim. I accused you of saying that the purpose of the claim was to do something which makes literally no sense, and the only alternative that either you or 4maskwolf have offered to that so far is that you're completely blindly flailing. Am I mistaken, does the quote above where you said that the claim made sense to protect ICT not imply that you thought the claim made sense to protect ICT?
?
What I'm trying to say there is that it makes sense 4mask would cover IcyTea as they haven't been hostile to each other over the course of this game. I'm not surprised by their claims on each other. Masons they don't back each other up doesn't make any sense.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 28, 2020, 11:37:09 pm »

Masons that don't back each other up doesn't make any sense.*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:10 am »

Alternatively, can you actually articulate your problems with the cases made?
It was partially finding the sudden bandwagon away from Tric strange, and partially from misunderstanding the points that you made in your case. This, in particular, casts a lot of guilt, but I didn't quite catch it the first time:
Toony's response is to shift the goalposts of the heydude6 townread to the assertion that heydude6 is not on the same team as ICT. These things are only equivalent if ICT is unequivocally scum, and yet ToonyMan moves his vote from one player that is not ICT to another player that is not ICT.
I don't understand this. I have a townread of Heydude because of my day action, this hasn't changed at all. I was rationalizing why this is the case without claiming my ability because I want to inspect more people (and ideally hit some scum) while giving Heydude my support. Why should cops claim benign results on Day 1??

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 29, 2020, 12:23:06 am »

If you plan to action this Phase, please do so ASAP. Resolving abilities at the end of the Day is no fun!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 122