Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Returning to DF  (Read 3790 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to DF
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 09:46:49 am »

It's just Ironhand that's been tweaked a bit mostly with some appearances adjusted in the raws and some of Phoebus' TWBT stuff added in.  That's probably affecting some FPS somewhere, I think the graphical tilesets contribute some, but I can't read the ASCII.  There's just too much different stuff to display and I find the ground punctuation to be very distracting and confusing.

I know there are storage problems with bins and barrels but I sometimes run into problems when I don't use them either, and some of those bugs are version specific too I think.  Anyway, I hadn't noticed any serious problems with the bins in that stockpile so far.  Storage has a lot of long standing bugs, and there's been some annoying problems with things elsewhere in this fort, primarily with the food stockpiles.

Those are remains down in the lower left, that's the refuse stockpile with an atom smasher.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 11:55:09 am »

With containers (bins/barrels), a put-items-in-container job will TSK the container and make the contents temporarily unavailable. So, when you get "cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed" for an Eat job, it means a job to add items to the barrel has started and that interrupted the dwarf's job to eat food from that container.

From that, you can predict that job cancellations will increase when there is a high-turnover of items in the container (amplified when the container can hold many items of that type). Examples:
- bins of thread/cloth/bars/gems feeding workshops at the same time it is being produced
- bins of practice ammo feeding archers at the same time it is being produced
- bins of armor when new armor is being produced and squad position uniforms are being upgraded

Are there any other problems with bins? Besides the let-us-claim-bins-are-evil-to-promote-unethical-behaviour-in-the-form-of-quantum-stockpile-propogation conspirators..... I theorize you exist!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 02:15:05 pm »

I remember there being some issues related to trading that were caused by bins, but I haven't used bins for a very long time.

- An unashamed user of QSP. It makes it so much easier to make pleasing floorplans!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 03:00:44 pm »

Dwarf: Dies of alcohol poisoning

Other Dwarves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ritual alcoholism is just the necessary dwarven funeral practice of bodily preservation, to ensure the soul peacefully passes to the next life. The fact that such preservation must be performed in life is merely an incidental fact.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 01:01:51 am »

and I find the ground punctuation to be very distracting and confusing.

You can turn the ground punctuation (and the automatic showing of engravings) off in the INIT files. I guess I just never found a tileset I like, but I'm happy with my fortress being almost totally vanilla. I just understand the text I guess.

Besides the let-us-claim-bins-are-evil-to-promote-unethical-behaviour-in-the-form-of-quantum-stockpile-propogation conspirators..... I theorize you exist!
Quantum stockpiles? Nope I never got the point of using them, I just love seeing seascapes of coloured clothes, coloured bags, coloured cloths, and coloured threads in expansive rooms. But that's me. I'm not against bins in theory, but my FPS went up when I stopped using them in places where dorfs would both take and drop items, so I kept cheerfully scattering my rooms with arrays of yarn socks. Used a quantum stockpile fort, didn't like it, didn't look back.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 12:59:11 pm »

It's probably what one is used to looking at too.  I'm used to Ironhand, so the other tilesets can be confusing if I switch to them.  Size is important too, I'm playing on a laptop so I don't have a huge screen to look at, and the really big 24x24 or 32x32 tilesets are too big for the screen.  Ironhand is 18x18, so it's scaled for my screen better as well.

I don't mess around too much with QSPs, though I understand the theory.  I mostly just use one for ore smelting by having a minecart dump ore, flux and fuel if needed (I like volcanoes) down a short shaft.  It's helpful there because ore is heavy and having a giant pile of it right next to the smelter really speed things up.  Instead, I've been looking at limiting the number of bins and barrels on a stockpile.

This new fort is already bustling with activity.  As soon as I set my tavern, I started getting visitors.  They're mostly human since the volcano I embarked on is surrounded by human settlements to the north and west.  I've gotten some human warriors looking to down a few cold ones and sing along with my dwarves, and I had a poet hanging around for a several seasons listening to the dwarf chants.  I had a dwarf bard drop in, and her husband arrived with their two kids in the next migration wave (a big spring wave with 40 dwarves).  That's kind of weird, she's isted as a guest while the rest of her family want to live here, I'm guessing she'll stay once her visitor period is over.  Out of curiosity I assigned a bed to her husband to see what would happen, and it listed both of them as owners of the bedroom.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 11:39:07 pm »

Well I found out the hard way that the old mass pitting strategies don't work very well anymore, so I'm going to need to find some new ways to mass execute the goblins that come by.  They seem to avoid weapon traps better too, so that is no fun at all.  I weathered a big invasion of goblins, I caught a few of them and executed them, and I have a bunch of trolls and beak dogs to finish off.  The rest left after a few months, but they'll probably be back later, so I need to set up some fortified positions for my marksdwarves.  It's the biggest fight I've had since returning and there's a lot about fighting off sieges that I think I've forgotten.

Then the elves sent a diplomat which made things go from bad to worse.  He arrived right at the end of the siege, so maybe the goblins left in disgust?   :P

It wasn't all bad though, since I was able to successfully save scum for a male giant leopard from them to mate with the female they brought last year.  The elves' saving grace now is whatever potential warbeasts they can bring me.

Fortressdeath

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 12:35:56 pm »

I believe marksdwarves are still broke AF, firing a single bolt then determinedly pathing across the map to charge into melee.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 03:16:38 pm »

That's why I have them stuck behind fortifications 1 z level up where they can't path to the enemy.  It didn't work too badly, they managed to kill 3 goblins in the next siege from behind the fortifications and wounded a number of others.  The siege broke and ran after about 2 weeks game time.

Fortressdeath

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 03:30:36 pm »

Yep, marksdorf pillboxes are still the way to go. Little bastards just won't listen to reason.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 01:54:53 am »

More experimentation.

Well my old dining hall layout needed to be tweaked a bit, setting it up like the image I posted above didn't give enough dancing space for a tavern once I put all the tables and chairs in.  I knocked out the two side walls and widened it, which is giving me enough space it seems.  My basic idea was sound though, I've got a big enough dining hall to easily be legendary, a mist generator, statues, and nearby food and drink stockpiles.  I haven't bothered with a tavern keeper, and it doesn't seem necessary anyway.

The tavern attracts a good number of visitors, mostly humans and dwarves, but some random cougar woman has been hanging around down there for a while too.  I let two human performers join my fort as long term residents early on, but that was a waste because I can't assign them as performers to the tavern.  Even after they were granted citizenship, I still couldn't assign them, so I'm denying all long term residence to performers since they just take up space.  At least they're doing grunt work as citizens.  Mercenaries are better though, since I can put them in the army.  I have them in a squad called the "Dorf Foreign Legion" under the command of one of my better fighters.  Biggest downside is that the humans need bigger sized armor, and they just show up with a weapon and a shield.  They're not even wearing goose leather!  So I bought human sized armor and clothes from the caravan that just showed up so they'll have gear, and the human citizens will eventually need fresh stuff to wear too.

Temples don't seem to have much to them yet.  All I seem to need for them right now is a 5x5 space plus storage room if I want the dwarves to play music in them.  It looks like the temple features don't show up until 47.x.  Anyway the dwarf civilization I'm playing has 7 different gods, so they each have a small shrine area for worship.  One of the gods is concerned with war, victory, and fortresses, so I put his shrine down with the barracks and weapons and armor storage.  There's a god of trade, so I'm going to put some statues of him near the trade depot.  Then there's the male god of rainbows and pregnancy who has a small number of very enthusiastic female worshippers...  :o

I have a library up and running, and so far I've gotten some visiting scholars who dropped in and wrote some medical texts for us.  And a book about beakers.  But there was a bastard dorf scholar who stole one of the books I bought from the dwarf caravan!  Luckily it was a copy, and I have at least another one, but this is apparently common behavior for visiting scholars, so I may have to restrict library access.  My scribes haven't made much effort in actually copying texts, but I think I might have to adjust stuff in the location screen from what I've been reading.  There are enough blank quires on hand, so that's not the problem. 

Fortressdeath

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 02:12:49 am »

I just create a single unaffiliated temple, and then create ones for specific religions when/if they get requested.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:59 pm »

Temple requests I think are the current version, and I'm running a 43.03 game ATM.  So in this game, temples really aren't doing much except providing a place for the dorfs to pray.  In later forts, I'll probably start off with a single interfaith shrine and diversify later.  It depends on which version of the game I end up sticking with.  At the very least though, I'll stick with 43.03 if I have problems with the more recent releases since it runs reliably, it runs more efficiently than 40.12 was, and it's got some pretty good features.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 03:28:58 am »

Besides goblins, there's been a few hostile incidents at the fort.

First was the werepanda.  I think he might have been a guard or merchant in one of the human caravans, because I don't remember a warning, just a combat report he was mauling one of my dogs.  He killed the dog but then the fortress carpenter/woodcutter walked by and nonchalantly chopped his head off with an axe.  Didn't seem to faze the humans, but it freaked out the migrants that had just arrived.  For the annoyance, it had the dishonor of being the first thing dropped into the magma.

I think one of the human mercenaries started a bar brawl.  She got into an argument with a young dwarf, and punched her hard a few times.  Then the whole fort seemed to dogpile her.  In the combat logs, she started screaming for help, but since she started it, I had no sympathy.  The dorfs punched her to death, and since she was a fort resident, she's now wasting grave space.  I would have thrown her in the magma instead like she deserves, but then I'd probably have to waste a slab on her anyway.

Then there was the werechameleon that jumped my best marksdwarf and killed him.  It then slunk into my fortress and I closed the front gate behind it, and sicced my military squads on it.  It didn't last very long as my sworddwarves chopped off its arms and legs before someone got in the killing blow.  One more lousy corpse into the magma.

And just as I was finishing off my game earlier, a dragon enters my map.  I quickly made a backup just in case before saving and exiting.  I'm going to have to deal with it tomorrow.  I don't know if this will destroy my fort, or if I can get a nice kill in.  There's likely to be a good deal of !!FUN!! here.  The wiki says dragons can be caught in cage traps, but since all my cages are wood, I'm quite skeptical.  Can my army kill it?  We'll see.  There's also that voice in my head saying: "Capture it.  Train it.  Unleash it on the goblins."  That's likely to be insanely dangerous, which is the only proper way to play this game.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:30:39 am by orius »

Fortressdeath

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 03:55:45 am »

Mercenaries are better though, since I can put them in the army.  I have them in a squad called the "Dorf Foreign Legion" under the command of one of my better fighters.  Biggest downside is that the humans need bigger sized armor, and they just show up with a weapon and a shield.  They're not even wearing goose leather!  So I bought human sized armor and clothes from the caravan that just showed up so they'll have gear, and the human citizens will eventually need fresh stuff to wear too.

Your workshops should have the ability to give detailed instructions for tasks once they've been added to the queue (but before they're assigned a worker). One of those details you can add is sizing, allowing you to craft clothing and armor for your nonhuman residents and warriors right alongside the orders for your dwarf citizens.
Pages: 1 [2] 3