Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Read this first - Rules, Info and FAQ  (Read 14136 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Read this first - Rules, Info and FAQ
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:00:02 pm »

Hello!
The official thread for the Steam release graphics was getting very chaotic, with lots of topics discussed at once. Despite my best intentions to participate, it was becoming more and more intimidating. Therefore, I asked Tarn to give us a subforum.

If you want your suggestions to be read and considered, please try to follow these...

RULES

1. Keep the subject of a given thread narrow. A discussion about the "map view" will likely grow into several pages that are hard to follow. A discussion about the look of mountains is more likely to yield good results.
2. Please make sure the thread title is informative. Name the topic, suggestion, context (eg. which game mode, which screen).
3. Don't go off topic. We love participating in the community, but we'd rather focus on making the sprites right now!
4. Before posting a new thread, please try to review the forums and see if a given topic isn't being discussed already.
5. As always, please be respectful.

IMPORTANT INFO

1. A thread might go unanswered by me or Meph for a very long time. That doesn't mean it's forgotten, we're simply focusing on a different subject right now. We'll appreciate your patience on this matter.
2. Some of the graphics you can see in the devlog are work in progress. It's difficult to always let the readers know which ones.

FAQ

What is this?
This is the sub-forum for discussing the graphics of the upcoming official Dwarf Fortress Steam and Itch.io release.

Who is making the graphics?
The tileset is being made by Meph and Mike Mayday.

Where can I find previews of the upcoming tileset?
Screenshots are posted in the official devlog and on the Steam page (link above).

Why are some things drawn from the top down, while some are drawn at an angle?
We were asked to prepare a top-down tileset for the initial release, with a potential (but no guarantee!) for a fully oblique view somewhere down the road. This means the walls, floors, trees etc. need to be completely top-down. At the same time, we couldn't put enough information in a fully top-down sprite of a dwarf (you'd only be able to see the top of their head and shoulders), so we had to settle for an inconsistent perspective.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:31:50 am by Mike Mayday »
<3