Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v10.1 - Bug fixes and other stuff  (Read 47639 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v7 - Mostly Bugfixing
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 04:31:28 am »

It says the mod is modular but I'm not quite a fan of the Handcannons, grapeshot, "Sky people" and all the other human-ish main races etc. I don't see a way to not include that?

Removing them from the offending entities only requires removal of these three lines from them. Of the animal men, only the desert civ uses them with their _ex file.
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HANDGUN_SPL]
[AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BALL1_SPL]
[AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BALL2_SPL]

I won't be maintaining a handcannonless version of those file because I hate the tedium of adding new reaction and item stuff across what I already have (many space-filler entity files are being removed for next update for that reason.) The way I set it up is, admittedly under the assumption that if someone's interested in the entity content, then they'd more often than not, be interested in the whole entity section in general, at least as far as its items go.

The whole reason I have them baked into the entity stuff is that assumption and wanting to minimize the amount of work the people using the mod have to put in.

As to the other entities...
  • They aren't "main" races. There is no particular focus on nor gimmicks reliant on them. They're there to fill out the world with more than just 3 largely static races that get a pallet swap in different parts of the world and humans with schizophrenic values. Instead, you get multiple civs who will never ever be 100% the same world to world. Even the creature is highly likely to not be the same.
  • Their weapon sets can be put in and added to whoever you want by copying over thier entity tags, or left in as artifact-only war gear - harpoon bows take anything considered ARROW ammo for that reason, since you might not have fish men nearby to buy harpoons from if you get one as an artefact.
  • Their animals - The Cargo Heron, Storm Hawk, Flotsam Turtle, and Sea Lizard - can be put in and obtained from relevant savage biomes. You basically just have to work harder and settle in the right place to get a hold of them, instead of buying them from bird or fish man traders.
  • And most importantly, they aren't needed for anything else to operate smoothly, you'll just have business as usual with the 4 standard civs being your civilized population. You the end user have to make the conscious choice to put them in. That goes for any of the files really.

Even the additions of new minerals and trees doesn't really require you to use my included entity files or reactions - they'll behave just fine without anything else, you just lose a very small amount of functionality (being able to make one metal and some extracts basically,) that I imagine is pretty inconsequential to most players anyway.

All that said, v8 coming soon. It's going to include a few bugfixes, a handful of new plants and animals, and some replacements for the clone entities - kind of anyway. And some other stuff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8 - Pre-installs and more Bugfixing
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 08:55:36 pm »

Hey hey people, continued aping of an intro here. v8's finally out.

New in v8

BUGFIXES
- Fish man civs no longer have [KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED], so interactions should be less hostile in adventure mode now.
- Extraneous [CAN_STONE] token removed from hatchets.
- Renamed the reaction for making elementium internally, as it was easier than fixing each individual entity file. Thanks to chipathingy for the heads up.

CREATURES
NEW FILE: creature_fish_caves_ex
These fish are found underground in cavern lakes and mostly serve to spice up the cave seafood variety.
- Cave Eel
- Albino flatfish
- Deep Paddlefish

-creature_caves_ex-
- Stonespore Hound (idea credited to rinestone): Large quadrupedal mushroom creatures that fire rockey spore projectiles at enemies. Found in all layers, and has a larger, two-headed caste. Trainable, size 70k.
- Wailing Cap (idea credit to rinestone): A large quadrupedal flying mushroom that sprays mildly paralyitic and nausea inducing spores around when threatened. Trainable, size 60k.
- Web-snipper: A darkly-colored vermin-hunting crab the size of a cat (size 5k,) found in layers 1 and 2. Immune to webs.

-creature_surface_ex-
- Gharials and variants: Found in any wetland or river. They're slightly smaller than saltwater crocodiles and can produce potentially larger clutches of eggs (20-95.)
- Pheasant: Based on the gamebird as a whole, with a range of colors ranging from rust to black. Can be found in any temperate biome and highly likely to be domesticated. Reach full size faster and live longer than chickens and have larger clutch sizes, but are smaller overall and so not as good for meat production.
- Roe Deer and variants: A ubiquitous creature found in taiga and throughout temperate biomes. Only a little larger than dwarves (size 65k,) but numerous and so easily caught or hunted for food. They have a good chance of birthing twins.
- Stew Hare: Domestic hares meant for meat production, size 4k. They can also be found (presumably being escaped feral stock,) roaming any temperate biome in small groups of up to four individuals. Apart from wider range of biomes, size and more varied hair colors, they're otherwise identical to hares.
- Removed bloodwood leafcutter.

ENTITIES
- Added 7 "new" civs, who will try to steal your stuff and send ambushes and sieges, with values tweaked to be permissive of theft and the like. They're named the following internally.
-- Brigands: Hostile humans with standard Human biome conditions.
-- Highwaymen: Hostile Humans who can set up shop anywhere.
-- Lawless Elves: Hostile Elves who can set up shop anywhere.
-- Forest bandits: Hostile Elves with standard Elven biome conditions.
-- Deep Dwarf Raiders: Hostile Dwarves who can set up shop anywhere.
-- Mountain Bandits: Hostile Dwarves with standard Dwarven biome conditions.
-- Goblin Merchants: Non-hostile goblins who will come to trade in winter. They live in normal fortress-type sites instead of dark fortresses, and place higher value on commerce and independence, as well as not being hostile to knowledge.

I am discontinuing the clone entity file support going forward (those being "dwarf_clone" and such.) I fucking hate copying all the entity stuff into them. They'll be stripped out from here.

PLANTS

plant_surface_ex
- Removed crimson forest trees. They'll be placed in a seperate file.
- Added sugarcane, available in tropical forests and shrubland. Edible, brewable into rum, milled into sugar, and extracted into molasses.
- Added sugar beets, available in temperate forests, shrubland and grassland. Edible, brewable into sugarbeet rum, and extracted into sugarbeet syrup.

REACTIONS
Pulled from the utility mod.
- Craft leather, cloth, and stone beds. Carried out at relavent workshops. Stone beds need some cloth as well for balancing.
- Craft stone maces and hammers. Budget weapons for budget militias. Besides, we can make stone swords, why not stone bludgeons?
- Spears have had [CAN_STONE] added to them. Dunno if it'll work.

BODY PLANS
- Two-headed quadruped bodyplan.

INORGANICS
- Added sporestone, a non-harvestable inorganic for the stonespore hounds to use for thier ranged attacks.

MOD COMPATIBILITY
I've gone ahead and made a compatibility file for Monstrous Manual, mainly to deal with an issue that faces flight-capable merchants using non-flying pack animals, though there's a little more covered by the internal readme for that compatibility file.

PRE-INSTALLED RAW FOLDER
- This does exactly what it says: Adds a pre-installed version of the mod's content in a raw folder. Simply delete the raw folder from an existing install and pop this one in its place. While it doesn't include absolutely everything, it should make your worlds much more interesting and flush with trade and conflict year round, at least on paper.

All pre-installs assume you want all the items included.

Just head on to the OP for the link to grab it. Everything should work on paper since I'm not getting any errors, but let me know if it doesn't, either here or via PM.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8 - Pre-installs and more Bugfixing
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 06:09:56 pm »

So decided to make a rapid release, because an issue arose that's rather severe for fort mode players. Namely having a semi-megabeast decide to sidle on up in early summer of the first year and squash everyone. As an apology, I added more stuff in the mythic category. So pop on over to the OP to get it.

Code: (Changelog) [Select]
New in v8.1

BUGFIXES
- Moved creature inorganics to a new file in the creature tab. because I'm a moron who didn't think to do that sooner.

creature_golemmen_ex
- Fixed a bug with Stone Titans lacking attack requirements, leading them to showing up way, *way* too early. Oops. Thanks to rinestone for finding that one through sheer terrible luck. I recommend keeping one absurdly brave and lucky expedition leader on hand for emergencies.

BODY PLANS
body_spl_ex
- 8 legged body plan
- 6 armed humanoid neck body plan
- cockentrice body plan

CREATURE
creature_mythic_ex
Cockatrice -  A modestly-sized, beaked wyvern-like creature. Size 70k, found in evil mountains alone or in pairs.
Cockentrice - Not to be confused with the above, a creature with the front half of a pig and back half of a bird. Size 60k, found in savage forests and shrubland in groups of up to 4 creatures.
Basilisk - Under the name of Mitre Lizard to avoid possible conflicts/confusion with other mods, a squat, 8-legged reptile the size of a large dog (size 35k,) found in savage deserts and shrubland. Has super deadly venom taken from the giant desert scorpion. Trainable for war, takes 5 years to grow to full size.
Hexaton - A six-armed giant, conceptually based on the Hecatoncheires. Slightly higher difficulty and attack requirements.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8.2 - More fixes, More Options
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2021, 03:38:25 pm »

Pretty straight forwards folks. New update, this one mostly consisting of pre-install options. I thought some might appreciate them.

Code: ( v8.2) [Select]

New in v8.2

BUGFIXES
creature_mythic_ex
- Fixed a flub on the Cockentric nails.

Entity Content
- Changed internal names on hostile animal man civs to prevent duplicate fuck-up.
- Removed an extraneous file from the pre-installs (accidentally added both versions of the Sky entity)
- Fixed a missing file [OBJECT:ENTITY] token in the lawless elves entity.

PRE-INTALL RAWS
No New Entities
- Includes Whatevermancy.
- All creature stuff.
- New inorganics and plants.
- Reactions for such.
- New Items not tied to the animal man civs.
- Includes Fine Woods and Fantasy Metals.

Creatures and Plants Only - No Dinos
- Includes Whatevermancy
- Includes edited vanilla files.
- Includes new plants.
- Does not include Fine Woods or Fantasy Metals.
- Does not Include Generic Fantasy Creatures.
- Only contains creature edits and additions, though no dinosaurs are in play.

Creatures and Plants Only - Dinos
- Same as above, but includes Lurksquatch's dinos.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8.3 - Bug-fix release
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 03:56:46 pm »

Hey guys. Another very small release to fix a few minor issues that have cropped up during play on my end. Been meaning to put this out for like, two weeks. I'll be straight, I didn't properly test the striders so if they're bugged out let me know. I just wanted to get the fixes pushed out.

New in 8.3

NOTICE: I dunno what might be causing it but elves might still be failing to bring drinks like they used to. I'm gonna need some verification as to why that might be happening.

BUGFIXES
- Jungle Biome civs now guaranteed to have access to water buffalo so they can trade properly.
- Tundra Biome civs now guaranteed to have access to horses so they can trade properly.
- Tweaked sky entities altered to not bring bristleboars as pack animals (as being groundbound means it'll break non-wagon merchant AI.) Change extended to the MM compatible aaracockra.
- Bristlebacks are no longer curious beast eaters or guzzlers, as this would cause any caravans using them as pack animals to flood your legends with thefts that weren't really thefts.
- Fixed a bug with Rimestone ore, setting it's color properly to blue instead of green.

CREATURES
- Furred Strider: A squat, furry felid that runs about on two legs. They're rather large, being usable as mounts and found in savage temperate biomes alone or in very small groups.

EDIT: I've also found I can't put further changelogs in the OP or fit everything post v6 onto the second post due to character limits, so you'll have to look at the changelog file to get an idea of all the stuff that's been changed.

eminol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8.3 - More fixes
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2021, 02:33:04 pm »

Hello, this mod sounds really cool but i am having problem merging it. It's my first time trying to play with mods i am using lazy newb pack's merg system but it gives me this message
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

how do i solve this? do i have to manually download it? if yes how do i manually download it? am i retarded?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8.3 - More fixes
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 02:42:32 pm »

Hello, this mod sounds really cool but i am having problem merging it. It's my first time trying to play with mods i am using lazy newb pack's merg system but it gives me this message
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

how do i solve this? do i have to manually download it? if yes how do i manually download it? am i retarded?

I don't use LNP, so I'm not sure. It might be on account of there being a lot of file overrides, or might be the structure of the folders and such, since it's set up to be downloaded manually then you pick the stuff you want or, in the rare cases where I think I've noted it, need for other stuff to work.

Manually, you just go through the files, and put the ones you want in the raw/objects folder. The only exception is the creatures, which obviously have some areas where they need other files (mainly stuff like body or descriptor stuff.) There's a few pre-install folder options too to just replace your raw folder with, depending on which content you want.

I don't have the knowhow to make an installer or the money to shell out to have one made really, nor did I make it with LNP in mind (I also don't know how to.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v8.4 - More fixes, more creatures
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 03:18:01 am »

Hey hey folks, got another update for you.

New in v8.4

COMPATIBILITY
- Added Lands of Duality and What Lurks Below compatibility to Fine Woods.
- Added Primal compatibility for sky entities.

BUGFIXES
- Fixed yet another fucking animal from being used by bird caravans, this time the woolly ibex. I also added the bristleboar to the "no pack animals" list as well, since I appear to have missed that too.
-- This is extends to the pre-install raws. Hopefully. Those were out of date anyway.
-- Change extended to the MM compatible aaracockra.
- Fixed a typo in the sugar beetle prefstring.
- Fixed a header typo in the new shapes. I'm so sorry that bug was left for so long >_<. (Thanks Hugo_the_dwarf)
- Fixed a bug in the Furred Strider bodyplan.

CREATURES
creature_golemmen_ex
- Magma Titan: (Idea credit to ZM5) Inspired by Ark's Lava Elemental, essentially a Stone Titan made of molten rock. Has higher attack requirements than a Stone Titan, and only settle in mountains. They immolate the ground around them, so be mindful of FPS drops (if it becomes a problem I'll remove the tag.)

creature_invertebrates_ex
- Bloodmoth: A large, blood-sucking moth found in temperate savage forests and wetlands. They take two years to grow to full size and live between 10 and 15 years. They're large enough to use as mounts, and reprodue via eggs in clutches of 3 to 10. Size 120k.
- Great Dune Beetle: A large red beetle with a broad, hammer-shaped horn used by desert dwellers as a beast of burden and mount. Size 600k, potentially found in any savage desert otherwise. Based on the Horn beetle.

creature_mythic_ex
- Snow Lion: Based on the tibetan celestial creature. They can be found in savage mountains, glaciers, and taiga and are a little smaller than a horse at size 400k.

creature_surface_ex
- Frost otter: A large predatory creature that superficially resembles an otter with large fangs. Size 80k and trainable for war and hunting, found alone or in pairs in savage taiga and temperate lakes.

creature_entities_spl
- Messenger Horse: A smaller horse relative with very high agility. They can be found in grasslands, savanna and scrubland in small numbers (between 3 and 7.) Size 350k. Can't be used to carry goods or pull wagons, but make for good travel mounts.
- Hill dog: Based on the concept of Kruggsmash's Crimsontrumpets dogs. They use hyenas as a base, being a smaller mountain and cavern-dwelling cousin. Size 50k, trainable for war or hunting. Found in packs as small as 2 and as high as 16.

They're meant to be available to humans and dwarves resectively, but right now they're just an addition to savage grasslands, savanna, and shrubland/mountains and caverns respectively.

DBDB MODULE
- Updated to include fixes from new release to the following creatures. Credit entirely rests with the original mod author, vettlingr. The reaction_other file remains, just in case, and I almost certainly screwed up something there or though I fixed something/updated it when I haven't.
-- Snow Goat renamed to Winter Goat, wool yield fix.
-- Mead production fix related to the aphids.
-- Badgerwolf renamed to the Brock.
-- Copperwyrm renamed to Firenewt.
-- Renamed molebeast to Shaggy Desman, at least until vettlingr picks a name.

MATERIALS
- Black Steel: Precedes tech cut-off by a huge margin, being known from 1st to 3rd century AD China. A higher quality form of steel, it requires nickel to produce and holds an edge better than standard steel, and is slightly more valuable as a consequence. Intended to be a Dwarf exclusive material, as it it notoriously finicky to work correctly. It can be used in all standard capacities, though it would be a bit wasteful to use it for ammo or anvils.

Black steel's production reaction is included as a default in "Includes FW and FM," as well as the edited entity default file under edited vanilla files.

NEW FILES
- reaction_metals_ex, currently to hold the black steel production reaction. It can be found in the entity content folder.

PRE-INSTALL
Because of future plans, I've axed the pre-installs for the time being. There's a temporary "all-in-one" folder in its place.

Version 9 is going to basically see the mod be totally reorganized.

The DBDB module will see the new stuff implemented properly to make sure it's fixed, animals are going to be split up into more files, other stuff is going to be shifted around, and two pre-installs offered.

The whole affair is a mess now due to extra modules and so forth, and going forward I want to have as few entity files to mess with as possible, because it massively drags things down for me in terms of potentially adding new stuff for humans, dwarves, goblins, or elves to sport exclusively.

In effect though, this means that it's likely that things are gonna lose modularity in some areas and gain it in others, while some creatures and other things might be lost along the way (mostly my own stuff that is likely to be axed as I come to it during the organization process.)

Anyways, no errors in the log, so everything is working on paper. Please let me know if something is broken, not working correctly, etc.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v9 - Reorganized Rerelease
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2021, 08:11:54 pm »

Alright folks, I said I was gonna reorganize the mod, and I have delivered. There's some new goodies too, such as two new alloys, the Trunker, and feral cattle populations.

New in V9

BUG/TYPO FIXES
creature_DBDB_dwarven
- Fixed a typo in the brock's description.

creature_fish_cavern_ex
- Fixed cavern fish having incorrect depth settings.
- Fixed caste name on deep paddlefish.
- Renamed deep paddlefish to albino paddlefish.

creature_depths_ex
- Fixed a typo in the Demon Lord description.

creature_invertebrates_cavern_ex
- Fixed giant cave lobsters moving like molasses.

creature_mythical_ex
- Fixed caste name and name for cockatrices.

NEW FILES
In general there are a host of new files for creatures, to better organize them.

item_tool_ex
- Adds a selection of new tools to both sell and encounter/use in adventure mode.
-- Kindling hatchet
-- Hunting sword
-- Pitchfork
-- Crop Scythe
-- Hunting Knife
-- Fishing Spear
-- Carpentry Knife
-- Carpentry Hammer
-- Carpentry Chisel
-- Masonry Chisel
-- Masonry Hammer
-- Sickle
-- Grain Flail
-- Walking Stick
-- Metalsmith Hammer

NEW CREATURES

creature_surface_other_ex
- Trunker: An eyeless black or gray-skinned humanoid with a short elephant-like trunk taking up most of its face. They are found in evil forests and shrubland. They might be used by evil civs as minions, similar to trolls or ogres.

NEW METALS
- White Gold: Essentially imitation platinum. Material value 35, can be made using either nickel or zinc bars. Only dwarves may produce it.
- Cupric Lead: Basically lead with an inclusion of copper. Material value 3. Can't be used to make armor, but should make for really good blunt weapons and has a unique color. Available to humans, tundra and desert civs, and dwarves.

NEW PLANTS

plant_surface_trees_ex
- Giant Bone-chime: A giant tree that appears to be made of bone, and whose leaves resemble the bones of fingers, or perhaps chicken wing bones. They rattle in the breeze like a wind chime, thus the name. Can be found in evil temperate forests.

plant_surface_grasses_ex
- Bone-chime: Grass version of the giant bone-chime. Can be found in the same environments.
- Golden Haizaflower: A gold-colored flower (that is, grass) that can be found in temperate savage neutral grass and shrubland.
- Orange Haizaflower: An orange-colored flower found in temperate savage neutral forests and wetlands.
- Crimson Haizaflower: A dark red-colored flower found in temperate savage neutral wetlands.

MISC. CHANGES
All main, non-addon module creatures are now appended with one of the following, if they didn't have it before.
_LS - Lurksquatch
_ZM5 - ZM5
_MS - Mephansteras
_SQ - Squamous
_SPL - Splint

creature_fish_surface_ex
- Changed prefstring on Goldfish.

creature_mammals_cavern_ex
- Cave wolf frequency increased from 5 to 15.
- Cave wolves may now rarely be encountered in savage mountains as well.

creature_invertebrates_cavern_ex
- Made minor change to boulder bug, cave crab, scuttler and ironhide centipede descriptions
- Mega/semi-mega tags removed from the monstrous and colossal cave crabs.
- Horn Beetles renamed to giant horn beetles.
- Lesser Horn Beetles renamed to horn beetles.

creature_invertebrates_surface_ex
- Centipede renamed to ratcatcher centipede (variants remain named giant centipede and centipede man.)
- Monstrous beetles no longer considered semi-megabeasts, changed to exotic pets.

creature_mythical_ex
- Demigriffs renamed to demigriffon.
- Minor change to wandering phantom description.

creature_mammals_surface_ex
- Minor change to razorback description.

creature_birds_surface_ex
- Minor change to junglefowl description.

creature_DBDB_dwarven
- Minor change to bristleback, spade-tusk and slothbat descriptions.
- Renamed molebeast to Shaggy Desman.

EDITED FILES
- Entity_default
-- Dwarves may now produce standard tools such as bowls and carving knives.

Creature_domestic
-- Dogs may be found anywhere not freezing ocassionally, in groups as small as 1 and as many as 12 (simulates feral dog populations.)
-- Cats may be found in temperate forests and scrubland ocassionally, in groups of 1 to 6 (simulates feral cat populations.)
-- Cattle may rarely be seen in grasslands, savanna, and shrubland in groups of 5 to 10 (simulates feral cattle populations such as those found on Hawai'i and some of the Aleutian islands.) Bulls will now ocassionally rage and cattle have some innate discipline.
-- Pigs may be found in any forest or shrubland in groups of 6 to 18 (simulates feral pig populations.)
--- Minor description changes to these animals.

If it doesn't work very well, I'll yank these changes later.

- Inorganic_metal
-- Sterling silver has had shear values changed to that of copper's, and can now be used to make weapons and ammo. On paper this should make it better for weapons than regular silver but adds an extra step and ingredient if you want that increase in effectiveness.

REMOVED CREATURES
These creatures were removed due to feeling out of place, or to prevent compatibility issues with other mods.

- Sabertooth Tiger and variants. (Lurksquatch)
- Greathorse (Lurksquatch)
- Silkworm (Lurksquatch; might be added back in later in a modified form)
- Dire Wolf (Splint)
- Terror Bird (Splint)
- Surface Moa variants. (Splint)
- Dodo (Splint)
- Aurochs (Splint)
- Short Horse (Splint)
- Great Elk (Splint)
- Saber-toothed Otter (Splint)
- Giant Ground Sloth (Splint)
- Great Dragonfly (Splint)

REMOVED CONTENT
- Elf, Human, and Dwarf Bandit civs, to reduce clutter.
- Clay production change, for greater mod compatibility.

For god's sake, if shit's broken please let me know. I need some people to play this and let me know how it feels and works to use.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 05:03:14 am »

Hello!  I have cherry-picked some things out of this mod (modpack?) and noticed a minor error in the Fine Woods addon.  The reactions are missing [NOT_CONTAIN_BARREL_ITEM] on their container reagent.  Said token forced empty barrels to be used, and thereby prevents e.g. maple syrup getting mixed into dwarven wine, or lye.

Also, is there any reason the "split logs into planks" reaction produces bars instead of blocks?  The only advantage I could notice are that the bars can be used for "bars" buildings, which is negligible given the existence of wooden grates.  The bars have confusing names in my opinion, because there is no mention of them being bars.  E.g. "chestnut log" gets split into "chestnut", and when viewing a buildings contents via [t], logs and bars both show up as "chestnut".  This gets even funnier when working with "ash" bars.  :D

Anyways, thank you for making this!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 09:42:54 am »

Hello!  I have cherry-picked some things out of this mod (modpack?) and noticed a minor error in the Fine Woods addon.  The reactions are missing [NOT_CONTAIN_BARREL_ITEM] on their container reagent.  Said token forced empty barrels to be used, and thereby prevents e.g. maple syrup getting mixed into dwarven wine, or lye.

Also, is there any reason the "split logs into planks" reaction produces bars instead of blocks?  The only advantage I could notice are that the bars can be used for "bars" buildings, which is negligible given the existence of wooden grates.  The bars have confusing names in my opinion, because there is no mention of them being bars.  E.g. "chestnut log" gets split into "chestnut", and when viewing a buildings contents via [t], logs and bars both show up as "chestnut".  This gets even funnier when working with "ash" bars.  :D

Anyways, thank you for making this!

Thanks for spotting the bug! Glad you like mod.

It's been asked and answered before, but as to why I went with bars instead of blocks?
  • The first is to make vertical bars, either for temporary windows until you have the gems/glass windows you want ready, or to act as safety rails on bridges and the like without eating into your metal supplies. It's basically just an aesthetic thing for places where solid walls or metal bars might not be appropriate or a wasteful application until you have more metal than you know what to do with.
  • The second is as an alternate way to stretch fuel supplies for people such as myself who don't like to rush magma. It's not quite as efficient as coal is (net gain of +3 to lignite's +4 and coal's +8,) but if you embark somewhere with no coal it'll be better than a straight 1:1 conversion of logs to fuel. That said, it does add an extra step and profession (woodcutter) to the production process to squeeze more fuel out of each tree.
  • The third is for making uniform structures more effectively. I know in game most wood is brown, but it's nice to be able to make a structure out of one type of wood if that makes any sense. It's a bit more relevant with Fine Woods, which has some trees as more valuable, so it helps with building stuff from those less common, more valuable materials.

Basically doing it that way instead of using blocks killed several birds with one stone.

Unfortunately with the naming, ain't really anything I can do about that far as I know. That said, it's not that confusing. Logs say they're those kinds of logs, bars say they aren't logs, essentially. At the least I've not found it confusing nor have my few guinea pigs.

I've been fiddling around with a few adjustments and some minor new additions, so I'll pop that fix into Fine Woods.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Vanilla Expanded Mod v9.1 - Yet more stuff.
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »

Hey hey people, yet another update here.

Code: (New in V9.1) [Select]

BUGFIXES
creature_surface_mammals_ex
- Fixed color on the zebra. Been malingering on that for months now.

creature_surface_reptile_ex
- Fixed possible bug with greater rhino lizard tile.

creature_mythical_ex
- Added proper flying gaits to several creatures.

=Fine Woods=
- Changed various tree and wood colors.
- Fixed a missing token for the various reactions so they'll take empties (Thank to Mobbstar for the catch!)

NEW BODYPLANS
- 4 tentacle upper body bodyplan/part (courtesy of ZM5)

NEW TOOLS
These are for flavor more than anything, though some are functional on paper, as these could reasonably be seen as common items craftsmen would make for sale.
- Cooking Pot (metal only, slightly lower price and capacity than a cauldron)
- Cooking Pan (metal only, lower price and capacity than cookking pots, cauldrons, or kettles)
- Urn (metal or ceramic, higher price but lower capacity than pots)
- Vase (metal or ceramic, higher price but lower capacity than pots or vases)
- Kettle (metal only, lower capacity and price than a cauldron)
- Spoon (hard materials)
- Carpentry Saw (metal only.)
- Flensing Knife (metal only, counts as dagger in melee)
- Bottle (metal and glass only, higher price and capacity than jugs or jars.)
- Jar (ceramic and glass only, higher price and capacity than jugs, but lower price and capacity to bottles.)
- Grater (metal only; while invented roughly 140 years after the tech cut-off, these are simple enough tools one could feasibly make them in DF's worlds.)
- Masher (Any hard mat, counts as a mace in melee)
- Meat hammer (metal only, counts as a hammer in melee)
- Auger (metal only, counts as a dagger in melee)
- Hand-plow (metal only, counts as a dagger in melee. Inspired by an ancient korean farm tool, the homi.)
- Razor (metal only, counts as a dagger in melee. Been in use since the bronze age and those shaved heads and beards have to come from somewhere!)
- Shears (metal only, counts as a dagger in melee. How else are we to shear our sheep and llama?)

NEW ARMOR
- Multiple new shields that fall under the tech cut-off. Block chance and material costs vary, so some might be better to use if stretched thin for metal, but they mostly exist to provide visual variety. All of them use Armor Level 2, to ensure they'll appear in sieges and the like.
-- Kite Shield, Blockchance 25, material cost 5 bars/15 wafers.
-- Heater Shield, Blockchance 18, material cost 3 bars/9 wafers.
-- Tower Shield, Blockchance 30, material cost 6 bars/18 wafers.
-- Targe, Blockchance 12, material cost 1 bar/3 wafers.

NEW CREATURES
creature_surface_other_ex
- Brier Fiend: A large canid with four tentacles sticking out of its back, found in savage temperate forests. Size 500k, trainable and ridable.

- Arctic Rhino Lizard: A slightly larger and longer-lived version of the greater rhino lizard. Sports brown, black or gray plummage and may be found in tundra, taiga, and temperate forests.

creature_surface_mammal_ex
- Giant Fox Squirrel: A giant cousin to the regular fox squirrel. Size 300k, tamable and ridable. Grows to full size in 5 years and will try to steal food.

creature_fish_cavern_ex
- Grotto Shark: An ampbibious shark-like creature found in all cavern layers in water, but it may sometimes wander out of the water, moving slowly to traverse terrain. Can be tamed, but not trained. Value 300, Size 600k. Note, they are fearless and so likely to attack anything that gets near them.
- Cap Grabber: A slightly larger amphibious version of the pond grabber, able to slowly move over land. Only found in layer 1 in both land and water. Can be tamed, but not trained. Value 55, Size 50k.
- Cave Moray: A small eel found in the upper caverns, preying on cave fish and the like.
- Wormfish: A pale, worm-like fish found burrowing through detritus in subterreanean lakes. They can be found in all layers.

creature_cavern_other_ex
- Lasher: A pale, humanoid creature with four tentacles in place of its arms. Size 65k, fearless, and tameable. Found in all layers alone or in groups of up to three. Reaches full size at 8 years.

creature_mythical_ex
- Serpentine dragon: Based on east asian dragons, wingless, flying, noodly dragons.

FANTASY METALS
- Caster's Bismuth: Conceptually inspired by Cerrosafe, a type of casting alloy made primarily from bismuth and lead with a smidge of tin. Crafting alloy to give some extra use to bismuth. I've dropped the tin for utility reasons, so it needs 3 bismuth, and 1 lead bar, and yields 4 bars. Value 6, with bright magenta coloration. Caster's Bismuth is exclusive to dwarves by default, as anything super advanced for metals is.

EDITED VANILLA FILES
creature_other
- two-legged rhino lizards can no longer be found in freezing biomes.

creature_standard
- Dragons now have wings and the ability to fly. I found it strange that cave dragons have wings, while their surface dwelling kin didn't. They also now have a slightly wider range of colors available for eye and scale colors.

item_shield
- Shield renamed to round shield. Material cost raised to 4 bars/12 wafers.
- Buckler material cost in wafers slightly reduced to 1 (down from 2.) Armor level raised to 2.

entity_default
- Kobolds and Cave people now have access to bucklers, helmets and leather armor, as well as the new targe.

MISC. CHANGES
- Cupric lead moved to fantasy metals. I dunno wtf I was thinking making it standard issue, since it's based on an ancient greek alchemical alloy.

- Slight change to greater rhino lizard description.
- Changed greater rhino lizard tile from 'g' to 'G' for consistency with other giant creatures.
- renamed drakes to sky drakes, for consistency with land drake name.

NEW ADDON - SPEECH
- Just some modified speech files to go into your data/speech folder. Uses a mixture of old-game stuff, Masterwork, Wiki things and custom shit. There might be some references or out-of-place wording here and there, but I think I caught a good bit on an initial, cursory pass.

Those files are pretty much only relevant to adventure mode barring probably only a tiny number of exceptions, but enjoy all the same.

Special thanks to ZM5 for that one.

NOTE: There is a minor issue with the coloration of the arctic rhino lizards, it shouldn't cause any problems in gameplay. I'm probably just a moron though.

As you can read, there's a few changes to shields specifically which might drastically alter how things go in battle, and with what you equip your soldiers with.

Everything should, on paper, work fine, as no errors were thrown apart from the coloration issue. That should just cause an inconsequential error to pop in your log. Also, in case I forgot to mention it, I seem to have finally gotten a flier caravan that worked properly, so if anyone has issues let me know so I can block the offending creature from their entity in the future.

As always if anything is messed up or non-functional, let me know. I have to admit I don't test stuff super rigorously, so there's always a chance I've broken something by mistake or something isn't working as intended.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2021, 05:15:23 pm »

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to installing mods (I've only ever made my own) I'm wanting to install this, it looks really fun but I'm confused on a few things

1. I'm a bit confused what the difference between pre-install and all the other folders. Is the pre install required base files or something else?
2. In the pre install folder, does the with hostile variants come with or without the dinosaurs (which you mentioned are buggy)
3. how do I make this and the lands of duality "raws only" mod work together?
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2021, 05:28:11 pm »

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to installing mods (I've only ever made my own) I'm wanting to install this, it looks really fun but I'm confused on a few things

1. I'm a bit confused what the difference between pre-install and all the other folders. Is the pre install required base files or something else?
The pre-installs have everything packed up and ready to go. The other folders and such are if you'd rather customize what you have from the mod to your liking, though having full customization does demand a little bit of copy-pasting from entity tag files and such. All you need to do is drop them in and replace the raw folder of an existing DF install and away you go!

2. In the pre install folder, does the with hostile variants come with or without the dinosaurs (which you mentioned are buggy)
The hostile variants one does NOT include the dinosaurs. They'll work fine if you pop them in, but I made the two dinosaur-less options in case you want to use Enemy Post's Primal mod. They were just a bit buggy early on cause their files were a bit janked up when I got a hold of them.

3. how do I make this and the lands of duality "raws only" mod work together?
Right out of the box it'll work fine, as no files overlap apart from two edited vanilla files that SVE doesn't touch without the Fine Woods addon. If you'd like to use the Fine Woods addon with it, then you just pop in LoD after installing what you want, then grab the compatibility file out of the addon module folder for Fine Woods and overwrite. (I'd also recommend pairing Lands of Duality with What Lurks Below for maximum effect.)

Pretty simple drag-and-drop installation stuff, I've tried my best to make installing the mod as painless as possible and make it play nice with other stuff as best I can.

EDIT: I'm also working on an update to the mod this week, so I'd recommend only popping the current one in if you want to check out what's already there.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2021, 05:50:28 pm »

Thanks for the swift response! I think I know what I'm doing now.

I'll definately take a gander before the update
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7