Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Death  (Read 1106 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
FPS Death
« on: November 28, 2020, 12:32:43 pm »

At what point do you consider a fort to have reached FPS death? 

For me it's when it gets to around 13 - 16.  Though if it's a particularly interesting fort, I might still keep it going.  FPS in the 20s is rough, but manageable.  With 125+ dwarves, things still get done quick enough for me. 

There's nothing like that 100 FPS fresh embark though...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:38:05 pm »

I usually get bored with a fort before it dies of FPS (20 years in?) but then I limit my population in the init file, and slaughter any animals I don't need.

That said, in a volcano recently I had my FPS reach 11, and decided I probably should leave the fortress and start again. Instead, I left the game to run in the background for a bit, returning to unpause for moody dwarves, basically trying to give the fort a 'year off', leaving all instructions in the manager screen turned off. The dorfs hauled, partied, prayed, hauled, sold all the junk of the fortress to the Humans, hauled, drank, ate, pulled levers, and hauled. After about a year and a half, the fort was back up to 75 FPS, and I kept it going after that for a few more years, before having an unfortunate incident with a dusting Forgotten Beast and finally moving on. At the time, I thought it was a problem with nothing being moved around because everyone was so busy, but later I found a set of locked doors, so it's possible all my FPS issues were a cat chasing a moth down a corridor and failing to make it through the door. The return to a reasonable FPS was gradual though, and we dumped a lot of objects and sold a lot as well, so it's possible I was also just getting rid of enough stuff to let the FPS raise that way. Who knows?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 04:40:15 pm »

That's a nice FPS recovery.  I've got to start incorporating a few more FPS saving measures in my forts before they get too old.

Sometimes I feel guilty abandoning a fort just because I don't have the patience to watch a dwarf take 5 seconds to move 1 tile and the similar delays in all projects
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:42:25 pm by Schmaven »