Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dump Issues  (Read 865 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Dump Issues
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:11:56 am »

I'm not sure what the difference is between these 3 corpse piles, but only 1 of them allows them to be dumped.  The other 2 generate "Urist cancels Dump Item: Drop-off inaccessible." messages.
Spoiler: 3 Corpse Piles (click to show/hide)
You can't tell in this image, but that crossbow dwarf with a shield just picked up a dwarf corpse from the green pile.

All 3 are on inside, dark, and subterranean tiles.  All 3 are in the same burrow.  Pathing to all 3 is good, as I've seen wood haulers pass by several times.  All 3 item piles have a mix of dwarf corpses, animal corpses, and limbs.  All types of dump designated item get the cancellation message in the 2 red piles, but the same are being freely hauled to the dump zone in the green area.

Could it be that dwarves will only travel X number of tiles to dump an item?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dump Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 11:13:12 am »

There's no range limit as far as I know (on 3*3 embarks I have no problem dumping junk dropped by visitors immediately dying of old age on entry). However, if your dump zone is partially inside and partially outside of a burrow dorfs will target the "closest" tile, and that calculation may be different between the green and the red piles. If the target tile is outside of the burrow you get that message. Pathing doesn't take pathing into consideration, it only looks for a legal tile that's reachable.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 02:06:38 pm »

Dump jobs target the closest path-able dump zone at the time the dump flag is set, and you can expect that if you are flagging a bunch of items on the surface, only one of the three dump zones will be targeted.

So, just because the successfully hauled items arrive at the one zone does not mean the other two zones are generating the error messages. Do you have any other "forgotten" Dump zones in your fort (search 'R'ooms to find them)? Are those zones inside the same burrow?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 03:29:34 pm »

You might also find it useful to completely de-member every burrow, and/or set up a supermassive burrow to grant membership of[1] for the duration, just to rule out/spot something you introduced.

[1] Easier to undo if you start with complicated burrow-memberships, by deleting when you're finished rather than reinstating what all the things you undid. Painting lowest-left-southerly to highest-right-northerly points, add in any(/all) troublesome dwarves then lets you 'unpaint' bits to try to regenerate the error.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »

I admit that this forts entrance often resembles more of a dump zone than anything, but the 3 piles in question circled above are all items flagged to be dumped at vertical shift above an atom smasher.  So I was able to flag, unflag, and repeat various attempts.  I removed dwarves from the burrow, made a new burrow, triple checked refuse hauling options.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it has to do with the fort having been reclaimed multiple times...  I've heard that burrows and zones can have issues when retiring/unretiring.  Losing and reclaiming seems likely to be treated similarly.  I did not remove burrows or zones for at least 2 of the previous losses at this location. 

I also played around with DFHack, and all those items will be hauled to the dump, as long as they're closer to the area marked in green.  I moved them around with auto dump, and once they were all just past an arbitrary threshold, dwarves filed in and the drop-off inaccessible announcements ceased completely.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »

Look at your [j]obs list. Stockpiles should generate entries on that list if there are available items that match the stockpile's criteria. Then it's a separate process for the dwarves to decide which jobs to take. So don't look to whether the stockpile is getting filled. Look to whether it's generating jobs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 05:29:21 am »

Look at your [j]obs list. Stockpiles should generate entries on that list if there are available items that match the stockpile's criteria. Then it's a separate process for the dwarves to decide which jobs to take. So don't look to whether the stockpile is getting filled. Look to whether it's generating jobs.
Dumping does not involve stockpiles. Looking at the jobs list for dumping jobs is very unreliable, as dump jobs come and go on that list, so the list not containing any dump jobs does not mean all dump jobs have been performed, even in the case where there is nothing preventing any of the dump jobs to be performed. You have to use a DFHack script to be sure all dump jobs have been performed (or, rather, that no items have the dump flag set).