Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dvarlin Df Staves - a Runic Tilesets  (Read 10992 times)

BIlb0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dvarlin Df Staves - a Runic Tilesets
« on: November 30, 2020, 03:06:35 am »

Download https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15316

The tilesets consists of 3 types, Root (square), Bole (text) and Branch (script).
Root and Bole also have 3 weights.

Previews

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:14:44 am by BIlb0 »

tundalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dvarlin Df Staves - a Runic Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:59:54 am »

Holy... this looks great! Especially those intertwining walls and roads. Any plans to put up a non-rune version?

BIlb0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:13:14 am »

I've been working on a runic typeface, and they are all part of that work. So I will consider it when Ive finished up the last bits there.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 07:10:17 am »

I knew learning to read runes would be useful for something.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 10:50:48 pm »

I would very much prefer if you change the "E" and "I" runes to their proper real equivalents. i'm getting a headache trying to read them as is. And I don't like how "Y" and "Z" are mixed up; Y should be a stung 'u' and z should be 'yR' not the other way around.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:38:40 pm by vettlingr »

BIlb0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:24 pm »

Thanks Vettlingr, you are completely right about some mix ups, and when you say "proper real equivalents" Ive based this of the oldest examples I could find from a Swedish perspective, I have your "I" in the proper font as Ive done all the runic glyphs there plus a bunch of other Latin letters and tried to avoid duplicates, the font is almost ready. And the only one that's news to me is your uppercase E, I do like it tho.. But it would also break the dot structure Ive used for uppercase.

The complete font collections contains 512glyps in 72styles, so if I should change it would snowball pretty quickly. unless I only change the tile-set of course.

I have had trouble with mixing "e" "i" "n" from sources and tried it back and forth and this is where my headaches settled, since its mainly target at other artwork where all the proper runic glyphs will be available, I haven't considered it as a problem, for those with knowledge and who would like to do a more proper spelling.

BIlb0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 11:09:39 am »

Also the small "i" would become the same as a zero so, "i0" or "0i" would both become "││".