Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves bunch up in dining hall  (Read 808 times)

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
Dwarves bunch up in dining hall
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:02:11 am »

Apologies if there's a megathread I could've posted to instead of making this trivial issue its own topic!

My problem is this - I have a nice big dining hall that's also designated as a meeting hall. Quite normal really. The only problem is everyone seems to bunch up in one corner of the hall instead of using all the space that's available. It looks very silly. They'll use the tables and chairs when they have to so the hall does work as intended, mostly.

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is that I did have a meeting area zoned on the space where they bunch up but it has since been deleted. I've tried deleting all my zones and the dining hall and redesignating but it hasn't solved the problem.

Please help, it hurts my eyes watching dozens of dwarves occupy a 9x9 in a room 10 times the size.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves bunch up in dining hall
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:33:53 am »

Unless it's been fixed, deleting areas while zones are associated to them can cause significant trouble, in particular if that zone is a single tile one. You should never delete the area (i.e. the named thing areas are associated to, but only the zones, repaint zones, and then reassociate them to the object.
If might be safe to delete objects if all the zones have been deleted and there's no dorf aiming to use a now deleted zone, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 12:30:16 pm »

Please help, it hurts my eyes watching dozens of dwarves occupy a 9x9 in a room 10 times the size.

A 90 x 90 room is definitely spacious.  How many dwarves are you planning to accommodate there?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:19:17 pm »

I think the changes to dwarf-socializing-behaviours cause dwarfs to seek out other dwarfs in the tavern, and this causes dwarf-clumps, and this is all good if your dwarfs are not stacking 2 or more per tile.

They may just still be clumping at the same location as the original tavern, because it is the closest location from where they walk into the tavern, or because you have enough idler-dwarfs to maintain the clump perpetually.

To test if the cause is related to the deleted zone, construct walls or statues in that area, and see if the clump reforms elsewhere.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:41:37 pm »

A 90 x 90 room is definitely spacious.  How many dwarves are you planning to accommodate there?
90 * 90 is 100 times larger than 9 * 9... 10 times larger is just above 28 * 28.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 06:22:26 pm »

I wouldn't take what I said so literally, the room is definitely bigger than the space they're using but not ridiculously big.

I'll conduct testing as per advice. I do think I deleted the zone without delisting it as a meeting hall first, perhaps that might be the problem.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

90 * 90 is 100 times larger than 9 * 9... 10 times larger is just above 28 * 28.

The maximum allowed size for a zone is 31x31.  Which reminds me...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 04:21:35 am »

I wouldn't take what I said so literally, the room is definitely bigger than the space they're using but not ridiculously big.

I'll conduct testing as per advice. I do think I deleted the zone without delisting it as a meeting hall first, perhaps that might be the problem.
Deleting a zone without disabling its functions should not be a problem. The problems came from deleting the named thingie the zone is linked to, i.e. removing the named tavern, temple, guild hall, or library without first removing the zones associated with it. There's generally no need to remove any of the named thingies as they'll be disabled when their zones are gone, and it's possible to rename them (although I'm unsure if temples can be reassigned to a different deity/religion).